Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Prospective rider!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by son of eevil, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Well,to start, I tried searching but I couldn't come up with anything.

So I'm selling my car to jump into a bike I'm hoping to get $4,500 for it.

I'm hoping to get into a bike with gear for about this much.

I've priced some riding gear and it looks to be about $1,000 for some decent gear.

So that leaves me with about $3,000 for bike not including Rego transfer, greenslip and insurance which chould be around $500. I'm not including license fee's in this.

What kind of bikes would I be looking at for this kind of money? I've looked a little into the GPX250's and the Honda CBR250. Is a bike in this price bracket worth buying or will I be buying junk?

I know quite a bit about cars but I see bikes with 80,000k's on them, so obviously bikes do less K's what is the amount I should be wary of? Like cars about 200,000 is the mark, how does that compare with bikes? Am I actually making sense?

Thanks guys,
  2. Hey Mitch,

I'm pretty new to riding too, only started a few months ago!

I payed about a $1000 all up for my gear, a few of the previous seasons gear in there made it a bit cheaper without having to get crap gear.

I got my bike for $2900, a 2004 Suzuki GS500F, which I thought was a steal! It does have 65,000k's on it, but I had someone knowledgeable have a look at it first and gave it the all clear and it's gone strong since I've had it. That's probably the main thing, if you're not sure get someone who knows what to look for to check it over, it's much more telling than just going by how many km's the bikes done. Also, remember to do a registration check if you find a bike you like. You don't mention which state you're in, but most states roads authorities have some for of online check where you just plug in the vehicle details and it tells you the registration status and if it's been written off or has finance owing.

You sound like you've done a bit of research with regards to prices, and from my very very limited experience you seem to be on the right track. Don't skimp of gear and remember buying a second hand bike (or any vehicle for that matter) there is always the possibility of needing to spend a bit more money on it to fix bits and pieces up.

Most importantly, riding a motorcycle is an awesome experience! When you have everything, get out there and have fun! I'm sure you'll love it!

Stay safe.

3. Hey Mitch

As to whether you're better off buying a cheap bike to begin with, a lot of people say you're better off as you'll likely be looking to upgrade as soon as you're able to. If you're looking to do this, there's also the costs associated with buying and selling so you might be better off buying something that you think you'll be happy with for a few years.

Agree with sivartydrup that if you don't know too much about bikes it's useful to bring someone along to check out your potential ride.

In relation to the various costs, these will depend on the state that you're living in as well as how old you are, what your driving record is like etc. From recollection rego transfer, greenslip and comp insurance in NSW is more than $500 but this also depends on the cost of your ride (you may find that comp insurance depending on your age, might be quite a high % of the cost of the bike!).

As well as licensing costs (which again, will vary depending on your age (if you're under 25 I think you have to serve time on your Ls, P1 and P2 licences whereas if you're over 25 with an unrestricted licence you get to bypass P2)) if you're in NSW you should also factor in the cost of compulsary pre-learner and pre-provisional courses...

Good luck
  4. GS500's can be had for that price. I can personally vouch for them. You can throw them off a cliff and they will still run. Simple, air cooled 500cc parallel twin, plenty of power (for a LAMS bike).

I bought mine for $2500, put 20,000km on it and sold it for $2950. Check these out.

Most bikes today should see 100,000km. I would hesitate to buy anything with more than 50,000km (especially a small capacity bike) without a thorough mechanical inspection.
  5. Thanks guys, very helpful I think the pre-learner course is $150, knowledge test is $32 license fee is $17 I think, or something along those lines?

I won't be getting comprehensive insurance, just 3rd party, comprehensive was $1200 on a GPX250 stored in my driveway with the bike valued at $3900. 3rd party was just $230. I'm 19 by the way, I'm still part the "really-bad 16-19 age statistic"

So a bike around the $3,000 mark will be okay and won't just fall apart underneath me?

The GS500 looks like a naked bike, I'm a little wary of naked bikes in case I drop it...
  6. As long as it's mechanically sound, then yes. Get someone to check it out with you when you go for a look. People on here may be able to help you for a 6 pack of brews.
  7. I'll get my L's 1st so I can test bikes
  8. Shouldn't you be more worried if you get a bike with fairings and you drop it? :confused:
  9. Well, I'd rather damage fairings then the engine...
  10. Naked bikes are generally cheaper to insure, and fairings are REALLY expensive. If you are worried, fit some oggy knobs (google it).

Naked always fairs better in a low speed crash or drop (which is probably where you will falter, slow speed practice or backing out of the driveway).
  11. And from 2004 onwards the GS500 came in faired and non-faired version (GS500F and GS500), so you can take your pick! But as already said, it's usually cheaper to repair a naked bike than a bike with fairings. But you could always not drop it! :p

12. I plan not to have a crash, but I still have insurance. Lol

the idea is that fairings are cosmetic only. Damaging the engine is costly and may need to be prepared, fairings take the brunt of it.
  13. For $3K you will get a reasonable GPX250 from around 2003 (GPX's were made up until last year-ish and were directly imported in Australia by Kwacka and have good support and spare parts), or a very clapped out CBR250rr which in it's day was a much better bike, but they stopped making them in mid '90's, only imported a few, aren't that well supported by Honda and most of which are grey imports and old.

Another LAMS bike with bigger cc's might see you through a couple of years.
  14. Cosmetic, they may be. Expensive to the point of several thousand dollars for a new set on some models they also are.

Things that are most likely to be damaged in a fall are the things that stick out, for instance pegs, levers, forks, handlebar ends. Those kinds of things. You'll find that the sides of the engine are much stronger than you think and can take quite a beating. In most cases it would be cheaper to replace the side engine cover than a set of fairings, hence cheaper to fix. Any luck so far finding one?
  15. Mitch, you sound like Yoda, ha ha.

I have to sell my car 1st, wanna buy it? Ha ha '92 Toyota Cressida ;)

Even the late model GPX250's look like old bikes lol, it's that damn square headlight...
  16. round ones don't look much better, yay for evil eyes type headlights (R1,R6 etc.)