Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Proposed changes to licencing in Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jd, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Apparently the proposed "Third European Community Driving Licence Directive", which is currently undergoing its second reading in the European Parliment has been the subject of a few protest rides in Europe. Under the proposed new regs. the minimum age for riding bikes over 125cc will increase from 17 to 19 and the age limit for stepping onto full-sized bikes will increase from 21 to 24. New categories of licences will also be introduced with a minimum of two years before stepping up in capacity, with riding tests also being required :shock:. All this despite the fact that no evidence has been provided that it will reduce fatalities. Hope our local politicians don't decide to follow suit.

2. I heard the other day that the EU book of regulations is 80,000 pages long, but they are looking to trim it down to 60,000 pages. Wouldn't some boffins in Canberra just love that many pages to justify their pointless existences??? Hope you're right about us not following suit!
  3. Doing some further searching and it seems the new regs will also require that motorcycle testing be conducted on both sealed and unsealed surfaces.
  4. next step will be sports bikes will have to wear knobblies because they might be used on dirt roads? ye gods......
  5. Couldn't agree more with the proposed changes over there, should have it here, too....along with the rest of it.
    I.e. compulsory training on a 1-on-1 basis with a qualified instructor for x-number of hours (currently 10-12 minimum), full 40hr. theory course spread over about 6 weeks etc etc.
    The cost of a bike-licence (and that's ONLY the license, no other associated or subsequent costs) in most middle-European countries is around $1000 minimum (and takes about 2-3 months all up).
    Then you're still restricted to power-to-weight restricted bikes for certain time-periods.

Witnessing 3000+ bikes/hr on any of the typical bike-roads on a nice summer's day south of Munich certainly changes the picture somewhat...

6. While passing no comment on any other part of these proposals, I am not sure that this idea is a bad thing. I got my licence in a country town where the local sargeant took me on both sealed and unsealed roads. Given the very high proportion of unsealed roads in this country (if you live outside a major city), maybe a little training could save a few lives. Here in WA, car accidents on unsealed roads due to city drivers not having a clue, are not uncommon.
  7. Interesting to see the Europeans proposing testing on both sealed and unsealed roads.

If you're taking your test in central London (or Paris, or Rome), where on earth are they going to find a dirt road?

I can see the relevance of testing people on wet/slippery surfaces, but how relevant is dirt riding in much of Europe? IIRC it's not even legal to ride on dirt roads in Germany.
  8. I made no comment on Europe. I simply suggested that it might not be such a bad thing here, given our huge network of unsealed roads. Surely, where you take the test is only relevant if you intend to restrict your future riding to near that location?.

I'm interested in your comment on dirt riding in Germany though. Is this a new restriction? When I lived in Furth (Bavaria) in the 80's, we rode on dirt roads through the state forests in quite large groups. It didn't occur to me that it might be illegal, the police certainly turned a blind eye if it was, and none of my friends mentioned this.
  9. Different Kettle of fish now....The Greens are all over the place, most dirt roads/ forestry tracks are boomgated, heavy penalties apply.
    Has created the new commercially run off-road-parks in Bayrischen Wald/ Eifel/ Hunsrueck/Pfalz and the BMW-owned "Theme"-Park near Munich.
    All of those are either rented mainly through groups/ clubs/ companies over the weekends (bikes and 4WDs) or individuals during the week.
    Pretty much like track-days here in AUS.
    Edit: For more details check the usenet group de.rec.motorrad via your newsreader.
  10. Sorry, higher costs and more regulations creates more criminals not anything safer

11. Bloody tree-huggers, why can't they just get a life of their own instead of f*$king up other people's.....
  12. Therefore you turn criminal when you spent $$ on Advanced Training courses ??
  13. Surely though whilst higher licencing costs may provide better training, it may also lead to newbies having less cash to spend on protective gear. Raises the question, which is safer - untrained riders in $1000 worth of protective gear or skilled riders wearing nothing?
  14. No im saying that if it was $1000 for some prick to tell me i can ride, well i would've just spent the extra grand getting a better bike than my 250 and saying catch me if you can, uninsured, unskilled, untrained, and un-worried.
  15. Surely they would have to at least make a pair of jocks compulsory?
  16. I dunno, call it "art" and you can get away with anything :LOL:
  17. :? :? Real life as it stands in most central-Euro countries:
    $1k min. on the licence.
    Bike of your choice (within restrictions, according to license-type).
    Helmets/gloves/boots are compulsory in most Euro countries (even Italy had to tow the line recently). Any gear sold HAS to be (and IS) standards-approved i.e. CE/ 1621 etc (nothing else available on the shelves).
    Registration and insurance (3. party property and personal, as well as fire/ theft) is COMPULSORY and practically impossible to circumvent.

Can't afford it? Stiff...there is no alternative for half-measures.

Fairly decent base-training, restrictions, basic-clothing, compulsory insurance on all damage bar your own property (vehicle), and a system that near impossible to dodge...they've got it pretty much wrapped.
    As above...haven't got the dough for ALL of it...you can't have any of it.

18. As i said, that doesn't stop people. Especially here. Your a fool if you think so, or maybe just rich so i don't care either way.
  19. Fool = "One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding"

Now that is definitely perjorative, expect your warning soon.
  20. hey FBF, he's not talking about here, he's talking about in Europe, as in 'As above...haven't got the dough for ALL of it...you can't have any of it.'

Here anything does go, which is probably not such a good thing, in Europe, it appears, if you can't afford to do it according to their rules, ya don't get to do it.

As suggested, that will come here eventually too, and for those concerned about the detrimental impact on the world in general, it's Europe which provides the dearest bikes, leathers, scooters, gear etc, so if we wanna keep doing it, we'll have to get used to it costing more.......