Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Proof of the value of head checks

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by gegvasco, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Sitting at some lights waiting to turn right. Police car in front of me at the front of the line. Police car behind me(getting anyone nervous???). Both had been driving normally up to the lights. As the filter light turns green the front cop car takes off at warp factor 6 without blues and 2s leaving me in his wake. I pull out normally keeping in mind the other cop was behind me, or so I thought. As I pull into the right lane through the lights, I think maybe the cop behind me will want to follow his mate, better get out of his way so I decide to lane change to the left. As I do the head check, the cop car behind me screams past my left with WOT, just as I was starting to shift my weight in anticipation of making the lane change. As he goes abeam me the blues come on but no 2s. He had commenced the overtake down my left side as soon as he pulled out from the lights. If I had used what situational awareness I thought I had I would have side-swiped him.

Would have made for an interesting fine/court case given he didn't turn his lights on until he was abeam me, and never used his siren, and he had gone two wide around me from a one lane turn right. He must have broken a road law to get where he was and he wouldn't have been able to say he had his lights on when he did it. They probably would have fined me with making an unsafe lane change and neg driving I guess.

2. Sydney police, hands up who's surprised?? Glad he didn't clean you up, and well done for the awareness to deal with it too :D
  3. You are clearly in the wrong, because you are not a cop.
  4. Non Illegitimi Carborundum.

Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down. :wink:
  5. I was watching a current affair last night, and yes I know it's crap, but mum and dad like watching it. They had some driving test involving an elderly dude who'd been driving for 50 yrs, a middle aged woman and a P plater. The middle aged woman failed due to a complete lack of head checks. The instructor pointed out to the camera that had there been a motorcycle in the lane beside her, she would have collected it as the rear mirror does not pick everything up.

Looks like some people out there know we exist.
  6. A very good reason not to drive in cars blind spots :shock: