Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Proof of God and the arrogance of Scientists????[Long read]

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Not4Resale, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Here's an email my mum sent me. She's not a creationist but I think this was her subtle way of trying to tell me that I have just as much faith as a religious person.

I have since argued why I don't but I thought this was at least entertaining enough to post up for you guys to read.

I'll throw in my arguments after some people get to have a dig at it.

I really think this is some of the worst creationist propoganda that i've read.

Meh, I'll leave it to you guys to dissect.

===============================================

A VERY INTERESTING CONVERSATION

An Atheist Professor of Philosophy was speaking to his Class on the Problem Science has
    With GOD , the ALMIGHTY. He asked one of his New Christian Students to stand and . . .

Professor : You are a Christian, aren't you, son ?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, you Believe in GOD ?
    Student : Absolutely, sir.
    Professor : Is GOD Good ?
    Student : Sure.
    Professor : Is GOD ALL - POWERFUL ?
    Student : Yes.
    Professor : My Brother died of Cancer even though he Prayed to GOD to Heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But GOD didn't. How is this GOD good then? Hmm?

(Student was silent )

Professor : You can't answer, can you ? Let's start again, Young Fella.
    Is GOD Good?
    Professor : Is Satan good ?
    Student : No.
    Professor : Where does Satan come from ?
    Student : From . . . GOD . . .
    Professor : That's right. Tell me son, is there evil in this World?
    Professor : Evil is everywhere, isn't it ? And GOD did make everything. Correct?
    Professor : So who created evil ?

(Student did not answer)

Professor : Is there Sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness?
    All these terrible things exist in the World, don't they?
    Student : Yes, sir.
    Professor : So, who Created them ?

(Student ha d no answer)

Professor : Science says you have 5 Senses you use to Identify and Observe the World around you. Tell me, son . . . Have you ever Seen GOD?
    Student : No, sir.
    Professor : Tell us if you have ever Heard your GOD?
    Student : No , sir.
    Professor : Have you ever Felt your GOD , Tasted your GOD , Smelt your GOD ? Have you ever had any Sensory Perception of GOD for that matter?
    Student : No, sir. I'm afraid I haven't.
    Professor : Yet you still Believe in HIM?
    Professor : According to Empirical, Testable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says your GOD doesn't exist. What do you say to that, son?
    Student : Nothing. I only have my Faith.
    Professor : Yes, Faith. And that is the Problem Science has.

Student : Professor, is there such a thing as Heat?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : And is there such a thing as Cold?
    Professor : Yes.
    Student : No, sir. There isn't..

(The Lecture Theatre became very quiet with this turn of events )

Student : Sir, you can have Lots of Heat, even More Heat, Superheat, Mega Heat, White Heat,
    a Little Heat or No Heat.
    But we don't have anything called Cold.
    We can hit 458 Degrees below Zero which is No Heat, but we can't go any further after that.
    There is no such thing as Cold.
    Cold is only a Word we use to describe the Absence of Heat.
    We cannot Measure Cold.
    Heat is Energy.
    Cold is Not the Opposite of Heat, sir, just the Absence of it.

(There was Pin-Drop Silence in the Lecture Theatre )

Student : What about Darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as Darkness?
    Professor : Yes. What is Night if there isn't Darkness?
    Student : You're wrong again, sir. Darkness is the Absence of Something
    You can have Low Light, Normal Light, Bright Light, Flashing Light . . . But if you have No Light constantly, you have nothing and its called Darkness, isn't it? In reality, Darkness isn't. If it is, were you would be able to make Darkness Darker, wouldn't you?
    Professor : So what is the point you are making, Young Man ?
    Student : Sir, my point is your Philosophical Premise is flawed.
    Professor : Flawed ? Can you explain how?
    Student : Sir, you are working on the Premise of Duality. You argue there is Life and then there is Death, a Good GOD and a Bad GOD. You are viewing the Concept of GOD as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, Science can't even explain a Thought. It uses Electricity and Magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one. To view Death as the Opposite of Life is to be ignorant of the fact that Death cannot exist as a Substantive Thing.
    Death is Not the Opposite of Life: just the Absence of it
    Now tell me, Professor, do you teach your Students that they evolved from a Monkey?
    Professor : If you are referring to the Natural Evolutionary Process, yes, of course, I do.
    Student : Have you ever observed Evolution with your own eyes, sir?

(The Professor shook his head with a Smile, beginning to realize where the Argument was going )

Student : Since no one has ever observed the Process of Evolution at work and Cannot even prove that this Process is an On-Going Endeavor,
    Are you not teaching your Opinion, sir?
    Are you not a Scientist but a Preacher?
    (The Class was in Uproar )

Student : Is there anyone in the Class who has ever seen the Professor's Brain?

(The Class broke out into Laughter )

Student : Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor's Brain, Felt it, touched or Smelt it? . . .
    No one appears to have done so.
    So, according to the Established Rules of Empirical, Stable, Demonstrable Protocol, Science says that You have No Brain, sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then Trust your Lectures, sir?

(The Room was Silent. The Professor stared at the Student, his face unfathomable)

Professor : I guess you'll have to take them on Faith, son.
    Student : That is it sir . . . Exactly !
    The Link between Man & GOD is FAITH.
    That is all that Keeps Things Alive and Moving.

2. In the story, the student seems to have won. But I am sure that this was the point of the story.

I'm with the professor.

3. Ack, triumphalism in any direction makes me gag

4. So full of faulty logic and saccharine schmaltz.

Must have been written by and American with a Hello Kitty pencil case.

5. cute story. You can manipulate words to say whatever you want.

The Professor failed the Student. Touché !!!!

6. Personally i've never heard a professor of any field say that "we came from monkeys".

Both of them had holes in their arguments.

"Prove cold"

I mean come on! What logic do these people use!

Dumbest line ever???

Do the creationists here even think this argument isn't retarded?

I just don't see the logic behind it!

7. Whoever wrote that knows nothing of logic or scientific method.

I don't think they even had the Hello Kitty pencil case, I think it was more likely a large crayon on butchers paper. :roll:

8. D'ya think?

9. :rofl:

The scary thing is, that this twoddle will masquerade as sound logic amongst creationists...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

10. That one has been doing the rounds for a while. There's even a version that says at the end:

"That student was Albert Einstein."

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

11. I am reasonably sure that I have met a few people that are clearly descended from monkeys.

Has this happened to you?

12. The student's argument is flawed.

He says heat and cold when he should have said temperature. He said you can't reduce cold. You can reduce temperature. heat and cold are just words used to describe temperature.

He says light and dark when he should have said illumination. light and dark are ways of describing illumination. you can increase and reduce illumination.

It really depends on whether a word is being used as a noun or an adjective.

Evolution can also be observed in organisms with short lifecycles such as bacteria and viruses, etc.

Also,professor would indeed have a brain or the conversation would never have taken place.

I'm still waiting for Australia to get buses advertising "There probably is no God".

13. :eek: Really????

Well I have to believe it now!!!! :LOL:

I've actually seen a youtube clip thats a variation on it and at the end the student ends up being jesus, it's a crackup. That was one of the things that raised my suspicion in regards to this being an authentic altercation.

So does anyone have anything nice to say about this piece of writing? Any saving graces at all?

14. There are actually some pretty decent logical responses the student could have given to the prof early on too - but he's left standing dumb to heighten the emotional impact of his 'devastating comebacks' later...

OK, I have something nice to say about this piece of writing: if I ever inadvertently swallow poison I'll know where to find an emetic. ;)

15. Scientologists are a pack of numpties and just as gullible as Christians.

Does that count?

16. Monkeys....

or Apes as a common ancestor?

My point was it's a mistake that anyone teaching academia would not make.

Me too, then when i dob in the graffitti artists defacing them i'll feel like i have a cause to fly a banner over. :LOL:

17.  Top
  18. I just vommitted in my mouth a bit.

Fecking religious BS...

19. I was pretty dissapointed with the advertisers decision not to run those ads. I've seen plenty of ads with christian messages, and it seems that the advertisers are denying athiests a fundamental right to exercise their beliefs on a level playing field.

The refusal to print the athiest messages is a double standard IMHO.

20.  Top