Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Project bike questions

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Josheos, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Hey guys,been a while since I was last on here. I have my rs now! Been riding a sweet 08sv650, recently quit my job and got something less strrssfull and now have a heap of time on my hands to work on a project bike!!

Been looking at a few wrecks and that on gumtree and have settled on either a cb750 or an old school cbr. Just wanted to know how you guys went for parts etc, replacing parts from different/newer cycles and when it came down to finally registering it for road use, the process of doing so and any problems you ran into. Cheers

This is my first project bike so there will be stuff ups and miss haps, but I just want to do this and put my take on an old school classic. Any advice and pointers would be highly appreciated also, cheers netriders

2. Hello Josheos
    I have several CB 750s, One stock standard, was my fathers, which is how I got involved in these bikes, and some Cafe Jobbies, [ each to their own ], Rebuilt and modified a lot of pommy stuff, also bombed out Jappo's and Dukes and of course Harleys, any way, the old Honda 4 is reasonably easy to get parts for, and do hold a special place in motorcycling history.
    The secret to any build is patience, if you want a quick build, it is going to cost you, if you have time, keep trolling eBay, gumtree, swap meets, word of mouth and club forums. Some people want ridiculous prices, some are happy to help out with unneeded parts, also good advice a lot of the time, it becomes a sort of addiction.
    If you have the time, space, the ability to keep going, [ plenty of projects on the market ], it is a very rewarding past time, especially when you finish, stand back, and go yep, time for a ride. One other piece of advice, take lots of photos, before and after. Cheers