Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Progressive house anyone?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. #1 Ljiljan, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Back in the day when trance was in, I was a big big fan of the progressive sound. In fact I still am. I love my 90's and early naughties progressive trance. But it's been a while since I have tuned in to anything more recent than 2003. In fact, I don't think I have. Not by choice at least. Except for hard trance which was dead by 2006.

Im normally don't like house, electro, not a big fan of prog house either - though I can put up with it longer than standard house. It took three songs for me to get bored of deadmouse instead of the usual 35 seconds. However, my gf's room mate was playing this, and I just kept turning it louder. Considering it goes for ten min, it got quite loud be the end.

I like this.

[media=youtube]5hQXSsbQCMs[/media]

enjoy.

2. #2 ogden, Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, Lilley! F*ck Button's are tops! I'd have never thought to call them progressive house or anything like that though (but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electronic sub-genres generally...)

I they got a bit of airplay down here on RRR, particularly on Stephen Walker's Skull Cave program on Friday nights. Tarrot Sport (2009) is a little cleaner sounding than Street Horrrsing (2008), but you might like:-(URL="]
    Sweet Love For Planet Earth[/URL].

I also like this track, which is a lot darker in tone:
    [URL="]Race You To My Bedroom/Spirit Rise[/URL]

3. Hmm not usually my thing, I wished they explored the polytonality concept they dabbled in at the start a bit more. It went into another diatonic steady beat for too long.

4. It really gets rather lush at about 2 minutes in, huh. The first 2 minutes, you start off thinking, ok, there's a nice layer there, where is this going?

Then 7 minutes in I'm thinking, dammit, why won't the volume go up higher on this pc? sigh.

Yeah, I dig it :)

Its a shame that youtube's audio compression mangles the hell out of the sound by that point. I'm gonna have to find an unadulterated lossless version on iTunes now ...

5. Dont forget a nice set of studio headphones.

6. I thought this was a thread about sustainability in residential housing construction methods

7. I thought it was an attempt to arrange a 70's-80's style progressive dinner...

8. #8 thermal, Dec 14, 2010
    The compression makes me want to stab myself violently, however a great track was definitely under there somewhere.

I've been listening to a lot of [URL="]deadmau5[/URL] and [URL="]prydz[/URL] lately, I like my minimal sounds, but this definitely has that 'epic' factor that never fails to draw one in.

9. or a desktop amp, sound card and digital audio converter. Come back when your wallet is empty.

10. I got a pair of Genelecs and an Mbox on my desk and some Beyer DT770s for vocal mixes.

Is my audio-ween bigger yet? :p

11. #11 Ljiljan, Dec 14, 2010
    can you linky some?
    You want some really epic progressive sound? It's trance which might not be to your liking but it builds and builds and sounds excellent.
    [media=youtube]gCTtJErsiPo[/media]
    Listen to the high def version.

My issue with the minimal approach is that a few minutes in im thinking, yeh this is a cool intro, this could sound awesome. a few minutes later im still thinking this is a cool intro, when is it going to change, :-s. Then it ends and I'm thinking well if I was after an anticlimax I would have subjected myself to one flew over the cuckoo's nest again and done it in style.

12. Nothing in my collection which could be describe as electronic and polytonal, except for some modern european jazz in parts.

Id certainly like to know about composers mixing separate diatonic textures together to create dissonance like in that piece I watched.

13. I guess my appeal with minimal stems from the fact that I've spent too many years listening to jazz and metal (specifically Meshuggah and the like) and any other "complicated" music I can get my hands on and it's nice to just listen to someone move through sounds slowly and subtly. Definitely each to their own on this one though.

Not sure if I've completely understood you, but almost anything by Venetian Snares I would describe in that way. Though he is much more Drum n Bass derived, rather than sounding like a soundscape.

14. definitely. I still listen to minimalist trance, but its mainly for driving. It helps me keep my licence.

15. Ahh, Sigur Ros is my points retainer!

16. #16 gsxxer, Dec 14, 2010
    As the saying goes "talking about music is like dancing about architecture"

Yeah Im doing a crap job of explaining myself. Im really into modern non modal harmony and Ive been trying to find an electronic blend.

Imagine elements of Iannis Xenakis, Steve Reich, John Cage, Stravinsky, Schoenberg in electronic music.

But take this guy as example [media=youtube]7pE-ESOSpj0[/media]

For those who have never heard harmony like it, what do you hear?

Apologise in advance for thread detour.

17. #17 TRA, Dec 14, 2010
    I just realised, I think I am gay. I did ride a scooter, and I like this shit. But the worst part about it was I used to spend a lot of time in gay night clubs dancing to this stuff. I was more of a fan of hard house, I particulary liked tidy trax and artists like racheal auburn: [media=youtube]LY84CdqKrh0[/media] even spent a bit of time off my chops on the old technics.

I used to listen to a lot of progressive stuff in the early morn... you get what I mean.

Best thing about gay clubs and the dance scene was the raver chicks. Fukin AWESOME. Dam I hate been a tea totaller these days....

Edit. PS, if you want to see one of my old regular haunts youtube 'the beat brisbane' I used to live there. Those you tube vids are almost making me want to go back...

18. It's definitely pushing conventional western sounds. I basically hear someone changing key signature once every 3-4 bars. I've tried (and failed) to appreciate music like this on a few separate occasions. I can kind of hear what's going on, but it takes a lot of work to listen for any extended period of time.

And I know there is a joke about John Cage in here somewhere and 4'33", but I just can't make it work. :p

Edit: And in answer to your search, apart from Venetian Snares, I can't really think of anyone in electronica who pushes melodic/harmonic boundaries like this. That said, I also haven't looked very hard either, so I'm sure it'll be out there somewhere.

19. Im going to go searching now, at least I know some extremely learned individuals to have a chat with about this stuff.

I reckon it will be from north europe, like norway and denmark. They have been turning out some really interesting mixes of electronic & acoustic modern jazz and classical harmony. Their society is quite supportive of that kind of thing, whereas here its more about sport.

20. I thought it sounded slightly like brainbug - nightmare. at least the common theme did. only slightly though.

In terms of electronic, the most adventurous in EDM is psy-trance. But it is not really pushing in the classical harmony direction at the moment - not that I would call your link a classical harmony. Otherwise, it is way to adventurous and changing to every find itself in edm.

Mate, I know where you're coming from. I spent a while raving at hard trance and happy hardcore events but stopped because it wasn't the best environment for me, and I was getting to old (had passed 18). Every time I see a promo vid, I start reminiscing, longing... damn I love smoke, lazers and strobes... and beats; heavy hard fast beats