Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Professional networking] Pressure relief valve management

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Aug 20, 2009.

1. G'day. Obviously the title meant something to you as it grabbed your attention enough to click in.

If you manage the pressure relief/safety relief valve system at your industrial site, I'd like to network with you.

Drop me a line below or a pm.

I manage the SV reliability program on my site, a petrochemical refinery, that entails some 600 valves, and our business (comprising of 6 sites and some 2000+ valves) is trying to work through to a consistent management (risk based) regime across the business for these important valves.

I'm networking with other professionals in other ways, but wanted to explore whether there might be any other professionals through netrider that might be willing to talk about the topic... and then as a bonus, we can talk bikes too when we're done. :)

Love to hear from you.

Cheers

Rob

2. Sounds like you want LinkedIn if you don't use it already.

3. . . . . waits for a hornet600 pun !

:grin:

4. Rob do you mind if I ask a little about the job?
    As a matter of interest, I take it the valves vent things if they get over a given amount of pressure in the pipes or something along those lines???
    Where does it vent to? (Just thinking Petrochemicals venting into the open sounds a bit dangerous) What other interesting stuff do they do?

5. I just clicked on it 'cos I thought it was a thread about happy endings

6. All ours are mismanaged. Perhaps this is something I need to look in to?

I know on the big kettle, it just blows the dipstick out.

7. You got it in one.

These are mechanical devices that relieve pressure in a controlled way and by doing so, avoid ruptures or explosions due to overpressures.

Every air compressor bottle has one. Every gas hot water system has one too - usually a bronze valve (which by the way should be exercised every 6 - 12 months by lifting the lever, and they should be replaced every now and then). http://www.waterheaterblast.com/images/T&P_WARNING-web.jpg

Most of our Hydrocarbon systems have PRV discharges piped to the flare system, though there are still some which vent to atmosphere - but they do so at height so that the released vapours are readily dispersed.

Non HC services pretty much relieve to the atmosphere.

Bravus, no happy endings at work... unless of course... um, well, I'm sure someone's managed to achieve it...

Joel... perhaps!

8. The best way the petrochemicals industry found to protect there valves, was to stop hiring me or my mates during shutdowns, us labourers can cause some havoc if left unattended

9. We have numerous types on site. Main ones are safety valves that are air assisted open, or open and close air assist.

(5,000 kpa to 24,000 kpa)

Bopp and Reuther is the manufacturer for that type.

Then we have more conventionally operated safety valves that open against spring pressure on some pressure vessels, compressed air systems (varying between 1,000 kpa and 26,000 kpa)

All main steam safeties vent ou through silencers, otherwise the racket would be heard miles away and would sound like a squadron of F18s on a bombing run...

10. Martin, what type of philosophy is being used to set the inspection intervals on your PRV's? Regulatory, fixed, risk, AS3788, something else?

I looked at some B&R assisted PRV's for the SV's on our package boilers... $150K minimum for the smallest units... um... no thanks!

I grew up in the shadow of the Hazelwood power station - having grown up at the bottom end of Elgin street in Morwell. I used to hear long steam rushing noises (what I now know to be the main SV's being floated after overhauls) often throughout the year as a kid... the power station was 3km away as the crow flies!

11. Well, what's wrong with the system you're running at present?

12. Why do you ask?

No system is perfect. I'm interested to see whether there's an avenue here to connect with a peer in a similar field (that I'm not already networking with) and compare pros / cons of our systems.

We get some sh!t labourers during turnarounds, so you might be right. One of our field supers once asked a labourer to go to the store and get two 150pound gaskets and bring them back pronto. The conversation went like this:

Labourer: "Sure, where's the truck?"
    Super: "Truck, why the hell would you want a truck, the store is just over there!"
    Labourer: "Well, how am I going to carry them back?!"
    Super: "??? What?"
    Labourer: "That's 300 pounds! I'm not carrying 300 pounds!"
    Super:"!@%^%$!!!&*$!"

LMAO!

(For those scratching their heads - the gaskets might weigh 50grams all up. The pound figure is a pressure rating...)

13. A mixture, I think.

If I recall, every 5 years the main safeties are tested, usually during a return to service. Manufacturer is present. Being pressure vessells, all mountings (safeties, check valves and so on) are all tested as per the certification regime.

At Loy Yang, the boilers run at 16.5 mpa. HPS runs at around 10 mpa. I don't know what silencing methods are used over at HPS, if anything. So, they used to be noisy during testing and post-overhaul blowthroughs.

When our safeties operate in anger it's usually the reheater ones that go, and that's around 4.5 mpa, not as noisy as the main ones (each boiler has 6 of them).

Recently we had an incident where the guts of one of the silencers was ejected, and landed on steelwork and gas ducting some 300 ft down. About 10 tonnes of steel. It was all corroded. Nasty.

No injuries or plant damage other than some twisted girders. It happened during the night, thankfully.

You know what IS noisy - down at Longford when they let gas, at around 9 mpa, go. We were doing high level fire fighting at a mob called Red Alert training, next to the gas plant. Even with earplugs and earmuffs it was starting to get painful.

14. If Longford are depressuring gas to atmosphere, you can be sure something was going wrong!

5 yrs between overhauls of your boiler safeties is pretty darn amazing! Any chance your maintenance or plant engineer would be interested in chatting with a peer in the Petrochem industry? ??

15. Just a random story about pressure release because work is boring atm and yeah cause I can...

All the platforms in the bass straight have their flare towers pointing dead north as the majority of wind is westerly. However on this particular day it was a north, north-westerly. As it happens, i used to always fish off the north east corner at morning smoko, lunch, arvo smoko and after dinner.

At some point they were xraying all the pipes and discovered one to be 1.2mm thick (from internal corrosion due to the H2S) at one point where it should of been 9mm thick. Yeah, it was about to blow, it was carrying gas, ironically, up the north end of the platform.

Thank f^&* they discovered it in time, and as a result had to shut the platform down of all production, and purge all the process so the pipe in question could be pumped with nitrogen, thus making way for hot work cutting tools to fit a new spool (grinders, welders etc).

To purge all the gas included all the high pressure lines etc, including the gas compressor. Operations were well aware of what they were doing, they just failed to notify anyone on the platform, not that it would matter, it would just be some loud noises for a few minutes while all the pipes / processes etc drained out. They did it at morning smoko knowing the majority of personal on board were inside eating / drinking coffee etc. All good........... except for me.

They discharged all the gas almost in one hit to the flare. Add the wind, and my fishing location (so well timed), all I heard was this amazingly loud whooossh sound, combined with metal expansion and all sorts of strange shit that can't be described (this is over hearing pro also). The flare eruped into a massive fireball, which, while still out of range, the heat was too much. I tried to sheild my face with my jacket, and attempted to scramble out of the area with 100m of fishing line in the water (there was no way I was letting go, it had been a good few days fishing, and morning smoko always rocks). I walked as far down the platform as I could while trying to hold onto my fishing rod. Finally I discovered I could hide behind a pillar and waited it out. Took about a minute in total... The seagulls that usually hang around on the flare tower were no where to be seen... cooked?

16. You refer to a break as Smoko…
    But I would have thought on a rig it would be a no smoking zone for the whole place…

17. Is it? What's the usual cycle? I could find out for sure.

18. Industry slang. Brew-time is another.

Smoko is probably becoming a tad anachronistic.

19. what mjt57 said.

And no smoking zone on the platform, hell yes. You have to leave 3 things in the filing cabinet at the heliport:

Phone
    Smokes
    Lighters

Get caught with the last two offshore and your f%&ed...