Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Professional Journalism Death Watch

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Deadsy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. In this thread we will pick and gnaw on the decaying corpse that is professional journalism.

You can post examples of journalism that fall short of the professionalism, reliability and/or acceptability that you would generally expect from professional news media.

I shall begin with this example from news.com.au. Informal language and a euphemism on the front page of a major online news website:

2. Using a Rupert rag to demonstrate falling journalism standard is cheating @Deadsy ;)
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I've seen few good and responsible journalists, from what I've seen it's hard to get anywhere in that business without sensationalising and twisting everything. The thing that bothers me the most about the media is that they can ruin a person's life without caring by not being careful to get their facts straight. What makes me even more sick is that I've seen ruthless journalists who have been deliberately misleading get promoted and make careers off the back of people they slander and get away with it by saying "I was just expressing my opinion".

Yes people should be allowed to express their opinion, but when it's public and could ruin a person's life care should be taken to get the facts right. It's a sad day when people value their right to express a view as being more important than another person's right not to be slandered. I think American media is particularly bad and when I see the words The Daily Beast, Fox News and Entertainment Tonight I feel sick.
  4. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

5. One of the problem with modern journalism is that the line between opinion and journalism has been blurred so much, that it all but no longer exists.

It seems most "journalists" these days believe it is alright to post their opinion as fact.

It also so that the public has lost the ability to differentiate the two when they read it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. My father used to teach journalism at Deakin Uni until 1984. He taught Vic Caruso, Paul Bongiorno and Wendy Harmer. He's dead now, but he would be spinning in his grave at the sub standard jounalism that is our daily fare. All of the nightly news services are highly biased, even the supposedly unbiased ABC and they all sensationalise anything they think they can get away with. It's almost worthwhile becoming a hermit to get away from it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Most of the time I don't watch the news, there's so much crap in everything now. A while ago I was speaking with an elderly gentleman who many years ago had been a journalist. He was in the business for 15 years but quit in the end because he hated what it was becoming.

I also have a cousin who was in journalism, she said their favourite motto was "never let the truth get in the way of a good story".
  8. unfortunately, the quality of the journalism reflects the market of the rags that are selling. The majority of readers only want a tits and bums story rather than an in depth and reflective review of the facts.

that still doesn't excuse the so-called radio journalists whose 'news' broadcasts consist of 'stories' sttarting with 'according to the Age this morning...'

and don't get me started on why everything has to be prefixed 'alledged' these days.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. One word: Sunrise.

10. Ambiguous headline on the main page of the ABC News website.

Is 'completely wrong' in reference to women and children remaining at the detention centre, the detention centre itself, or the claims that the place is a 'disaster'? You have to read the article to find out, but if you just skim headlines you can take away from it whatever your own personal bias allows you to.

When I first saw it I thought it was a quote of someone referring to women and children being on Manus Island, however when you read the article you realise that's not the case. Anyone else see it the way I do, or is it just me?

11. Hmmm, confusing.
    The headline refers to the statement by Brendan O'Connor that Dr John Valentine's assessment of the medical situation is 'completely wrong' (factually)

It isn't about the presence of women and children, either as a denial of their presence, or a moral judgement about it.

I give it a fail on the part of ABC because there is no honest link between the headline and the subheading, leading to a false impression unless you read the text. Case proven. (y)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. So it can't be alleged that they're committing libel when they shit all over a person's good name.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tracey Grimshaw the epitome of gutter journalism.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Is that "daily life" thing supposed to be a parody?
  15. Folks,
    Read a book called The Media We Deserve by David Salter who use to produce Media Watch
  16. That's just because no one watches the channel 9 one, to the point where I don't know it's name. Only know of it coz the idiot guy is funny sometimes.
  17. Deadsy, you would be better off naming journalists who still do their job properly.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SMH has caught up to News standards for click-baiting articles and they both just run whatever crap PR firms provide them. And the ABC is headed in the same direction; already it's hard to tell the difference between ABC, 7, 9 and 10 nightly news.

If anyone has found a decently curated news aggregate website then please share it. For business news macrobusiness.com.au is probably the most thorough that I've encountered (but popularity has killed the quality of their comments section) but I haven't found an equivalent for general news.
  19. economist.com is pretty good. Paid content is managed using cookies so if you open each article in an incognito window (or similar) you can read it all for free. Weekly news is probably enough anyway. Crickey.com has more news but isn't free.