Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Procedure on buying second hand bike

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by abvc, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. From


    Buying a vehicle
    When you buy or acquire a vehicle that is registered, you will need to transfer the registration into your name and lodge the relevant documents with VicRoads within 14 days. Generally, you will need to supply the following information to VicRoads:

    * Completed copy of the Vehicle Registration Transfer form
    * Roadworthy Certificate
    * Payment of Transfer fee and motor vehicle duty (unless exempt)

    The question is: What are the other steps required? such as when is the best time to hand over the payment to the seller? after form is submitted? go to the vicroad together?
  2. Ok peeps correct me if i'm wrong.

    1 Go look at bike.

    2 get rego number, vin number, chasis number, engine number, sellers name and adress.

    3 Ring Vicroads for a stolen/finance check

    4 If all ok fill out transfer forms, fork over the $$$,.

    5 RWC,

    6 send forms and $$$ to vicroads.

    Ok, if seller is doing RWC put step 5 after step 3.

    I also have 2 other forms that i made, a contract of sale, and a reciept, mostly around buying vehicals that are unreg.

    Contract of sale
    Date / /

    I (insert sellers name) Guarantee that I am the rightful owner of (Insert item details)
    And that there are no encumbrances or monies owing on said item, furthermore if at some time in the future information on this document proves to be incorrect I will refund any out of pocket monies paid by the purchaser on or fore this item.

    Signature of Seller
    Additional information
    Rego #
    Engine #
    Vin #
    Serial #

    Sellers Details
    Phone #

    Date / /

    Received from (Insert buyers name), The amount of $ being Deposit / Full Payment for (Insert item details)
    Signature of Seller
    Additional information
    Rego #
    Engine #
    Vin #
    Serial #

    Sellers Details

    Phone #
  3. What about for NSW any info ?
  4. Almost the same in NSW.

    Go and see the bike and get Registration, engine and vin numbers. It may be a good idea to have the bike checked by a mechanic.

    Do a revs check and buy the certificate. Get a cover note TO INSURE THE BLOODY THING AT LEAST 3RD PARTY PROPERTY.

    Go and pay for the bike

    Get your part of the registration and go to the RTA within 14 days of buying the bike. Pay the transfer fee and get new papers.

    Off you go.

  5. REVS

    Buying from a private seller
    When buying a car ask the seller to show you:

    a current certificate of registration
    a safety check report ('pink slip') that is not more than one month old
    proof that the person selling the car is the owner - such as a driving licence and sales receipt.
    Check that the information on the certificate of registration and safety check report matches the details of the vehicle.

    You will need to examine the vehicle and write down the:

    vehicle registration number
    the engine number
    the vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number
    You then need to check there is no money owing on the vehicle.
    If you purchase a vehicle from a private seller who has an outstanding loan attached to the vehicle (this is called an encumbrance), the vehicle could be repossessed and you could lose your money. Visit the REVS website or telephone 13 32 20 to determine if the vehicle is encumbered or has been reported to the police as stolen.

    If the vehicle is not encumbered purchase a Search Certificate [EDIT - you don't have to purchase a certificate - all info is available on-line]. The certificate costs just $12 (faxed - $15) and is the simplest way to prevent repossession by a financier if someone else still owes money on the vehicle. The certificate will protect you from repossession as long as you own the vehicle.

    If the vehicle is encumbered, you should not purchase it until you are satisfied with the arrangements made by the current owner to repay the debt.

    Ensure that you obtain a receipt for any monies paid.