Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem with my clutch

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Goose, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Since I'm a complete mechanical halfwit I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. :roll:

For the last few days I've been able to smell clutch every now and then, when I ride. There doesn't seem to be any ryhme or reason for it, it'll just start to smell. I'm not thrashing it, just cruising.

Anyway, today I checked to oil level, and its just above the lower line. I was thinking ( and hoping ), this might have something to do with it. Since its a wet clutch, maybe I'm not running enough oil to properly coat it?

Argh! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm buying more tomorrow, since its payday, just got to find out what the guys who service it put in last time.

Edit: forgot to mention, its been a bit tempramental whilst upshifting too, the clutch will just engage all at once not gradually. The only way to describe it unfortunatly will make me sound like a geek. Its gone from analogue to digital, ie on off.

Thanks guys :D

2. sticky clutch

A quick check in the manual would tell you the recommended oil type to use, I would start there.

Drain the oil, check to see if there's a lot of swarf in it. Some swarf is okay but if there is a lot, I'd go straight to the mechanic.

The clutch plates may have worn into the fingers of the clutch basket, causing it to "grab". You can usually check this easily by draining the oil and taking off the clutch cover. [The fingers of the clutch basket pointing out to you should be smooth. You will see clearly if the edges of the clutch plates are burring into the sides of the basket fingers. Not sure if this would cause the smell though. It's pretty easy to at least have a look.

Any chance that the plates might be on the way out? Good luck.

3. Try changing the oil in the bike and see if the problem persists.
    Black and sludgy oil can cause clutch grab particularly if your engine is air cooled.
    If your oil also bathes the clutch then change your oil evey 3-5000 kms.

4. Thanks guys, I'll try an oil change this weekend. Hopefully it'll fix it. If that aint it I'll take it to the shop... cause as soon as toughguy mentioned baskets and fingers... I really really lost. :D