Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem with Honda Shadow Vt750

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by chokes83, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hello all,

This is my first ever post, so please bare with me :)

This is a really good forum. I've been reading a lot of posts throughout the day and most of the threads and posts are really useful. That's why I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem.

I am looking at buying my mates 2003 Honda Shadow VT750. He has had it sitting in his garage for about a year and has started it only once during this time probably 2-3 months ago and he said he had no dramas with it.

I was over his house the other day as I am looking at buying it off him. The battery was dead flat so we jump started it with a jumper pack. It kicked over after about 10 seconds and idled fine for a while. But when we tried to open the throttle up it coughed and spluttered and backfired and would not increase it's revs. At one point fire even came out of the exhaust! We let the bike run for about 10 to 15 minutes and it did this every time. Started the bike with the choke on but turned it off not long after.

The whole time while the bike was running the temperature light and odometer were flicking on and off constantly so I'm guessing the battery still wasn't fully charged, but that shouldn't have a problem with the accelleration of the bike should it?

While he had it sitting in the garage he left the fuel in it and didn't change it over before starting it both times. I'm guessing possibly bad fuel or a blockage in the carby? Or could it be a problem with the computer?

It's a really good bike with only 19000kms on the clock and I know he's looked after it well (apart from letting it sit for one year without starting it).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I wanna know that this is a simple fix before I buy it and I hope that it won't become a major problem after I do buy it!

Thanks in advance :)