Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem putting air in tyres!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pug, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Okay, I feel like a real idiot asking this one. :oops:
    Checked my air pressure this morning and decided I needed some air for the first time. Rode down to the garage.
    No problems putting air in my front tyre.
    I had problems with my rear tyre though. I couldn't get the hose connection onto the valve. With the rear brakes and other things getting in the way I just couldn't get the angle right.
    Eventually after trying a few garages I found by threading the hose through my spokes and with a bit of force I could get it on. Is it meant to be this difficult though? Any tips? :roll:

2. Buy your own foot pump and guage. Then you're always using the same equipment that shows a consistent reading and can pump up at home instead of risking with some possible dodgy servo air hose.
  3. yeah i agree try and get your own compressor or pump at home, tyre pressure is very important on a bike and some of those servo pumps give unaccurate readings. If you dont have your own compressor at least get a good tyre pressure gague so you can confirm what the servo pump is telling you. I carry a little digital one in my bike so i can always confirm the pressure. 7 11 near me is standard 2psi out.

As for hooking the hose on im not sure on your bike but i find i have to have the valve at the 9 oclock postion to hook it on, but i guess this work vary with each bike. You can also get value extension kits you screw on when pumping your tyres up (check auto barn etc out).

4. Was a pretty annoying job getting it on the rear for me to. Nothing horrible though :)
  5. Just wait til you upgrade to a bike with twin big front disks :LOL:

My small 12v compressor has a thin flexable hose with a screw on connection and works well. It was abouy $40 from Super Cheap. The gauge on the thing happens to be very accurate too which saves double checking with a pen or dial gauge.

Pressures should be checked cold too.
  6. Again from Supercheap - $10 foot pump with right angle connector. The $5 dial guage I bought from there didn't last so long so now I have a digital jobby again with an angled head.

Tyre pressure makes a huge impact of how the bike feels, in varying weather it won't hurt to check them 2 -3 times a week.
  7. Yep, can be a pain :roll:
    I had to 'bend' the metal tube on the tyre gauge @work to get it to fit onto the rear valve.
    +1 as Chris said ... buy a little 12v unit
  8. what psi should i roll with?
  9. Cold Front Tyre Pressure (Driver Only) 32 psi
    Cold Rear Tyre Pressure (Driver Only) 32 psi
    Cold Front Tyre Pressure (Driver + Passenger) 32 psi
    Cold Rear Tyre Pressure (Driver + Passenger) 40 psi
  10. Heres a hint go to your bike shop and buy a valve extender,keep it in your jacket and screw it on when ya wanna check your tyres at a garage.They are bent on a angle so anything will fit on your valves
  11. For the rear tyre i roll the bike forward until the valve is at the 11-o-clock (valve at the top slightly toward the rear) position. This makes it easiest to get the long servo pump around the chain and disk brake.

12. +1
    That's what I have in case I have to use, but I prefer the digital air lines at some Woolies/Caltex/BP servos etc - lots easier to fit onto the valve than the traditional handheld Jamec ones with long, rigid tube, as there' only a small clip right at the end of the hose. More accurate too.
  13. Actually, it was those digital air lines that I was trying to use. I might try giving the foot pump a go as I have one in my garage. I'm guessing it takes time though.
  14. Not really, my track pump works well. I usually need to let some air out, due to slight over inflation.
  15. +1 here. I use the track pump I got for my pushbike in combination with a digital pressure gauge. Works a treat, and I never have to fuss about at a servo.
  16. Well, gave the foot pump a go tonight along with a good air pressure gauge I have. Worked a treat. Quick too. Many thanks for your tips.