Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem getting back to neutral while riding, or on 1st gear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by BKN, Jul 24, 2006.

1. hi guys,

when i ride, and downgear, then back to first and come to a stop at the lights, im having a lot of problems getting it back into neutral. sometimes the slightest tap gets in into neutral fine, and sometimes it just wont go in and it forces me to keep trying harder and i accidentally lock it in 2nd.

its just too hard to lock on neutral. is something wrong with my clutch or adjustments? i find it so frustrating i keep having to keep it in 1st with the clutch while at the lights and it gets too tiring.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers.

2. more info like year/make/model would help.

If it's a CB250, then it's a common problem. I remember when we were going for our Ls, the instructors told us the easiest way to get it into neutral would be to turn the bike off, put into neutral and start her up again! :shock:

Otherwise, while I don't have a problem with my VTR250, I hear that rocking the bike back and forth while/or adding a bit of revs might help.

Also, making sure you downshift through all gears to stop will help too.

3. Maybe try finding neutral before you come to a complete stop...

4. Here's an old trick that works on any bike.

Drop back down through the gears to second as you're slowing down towards the lights.

Then, JUST before you stop, gently snick the bike into neutral and let out the clutch lever. Wait for the lights to go green (no use being first and fastest away in case some bozo on the cross alne runs the red), select first and ride off.

Eliminates the "where the heck is neutral?" problem, and also relieves stress on the clutch holding it in for the entire rotation of the lights...

5. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure that no cager is about to collect your ass when you're at the lights. Having the bike in 1st, at least untill the car behind you has come to crawl/stop, is always a good saftey option IMHO in case you might need to quickly pull away to avoid them.

6. oops sorry guys, its a 90 cbr 250rr.

are there any 100% fixes that solve the problem full stop. i have already discovered all your suggestions and they do work.

like turning off engine (obviously you wouldnt do this at the lights every few minutes), and rocking it back and forth and revving sorta helps find neutral.

isnt there an explanation for the problem? shouldnt you be able to switch to neutral at your own will.....not only when its available sometimes =\

7. Yep same issue with my bike, some bikes are easy to find neutral some harder.

You get used to it and build strategies to get around it, me I shift into netrual just before I stop.

8. I've actually found on my current and previous rides that if you have the chain adjusted correctly and the idle revs a smidge higher than normal helps. I don't know where you live, as I wouldn't recommend doing this in hot temperatures :)

Apart from that, never fear, it's an issue that most of us have experienced or currently are experiencing.

I get around it the same way as matti-san.

9. The explanation is that motorcycle riders are conditioned to accept as a fact of life something no car driver would accept: a gearbox that doesn't properly go through its full range of action. They've been told for years that constitutes 'character', and they swallowed it all, hook, line and sinker - to a delight of bike manufacturers.

There is absolutely no excuse for this, and yes - it gives me the shits, in case you couldn't tell :)

10. I found finding neutral on a CB250 was a nightmare, but on the GPX it is a piece of pie.

11. why werent bikes made to switch to neutral properly. that doesnt sound right guys, i wont just accept the fact that neutral gears on bikes have a mind of their own. there must be a solution.

i was told its adjustments. any ideas?

12. probably something as simple as it needs new oil.

13. urrrm you mean engine oil for the bike? does that affect neutral?

14. Yes, I understand on most (all?) bikes the same oil lubricates both the engine and transmission. It might help, as might adjusting the chain and revving up before looking for neutral. But the truth is, if you have a bike affected by this, you might make it better but it will probably never go away completely.

15. i had the same problem. :cry: .got my m8 to check it out. :grin: .it was a little thing called a gear selector that has worned out it could be that otherwise i dont know :wink:

16. it's not "accepted" for all brands of bikes. e.g I have no problem clicking neutral on the Hornet.

on some models though, e.g the CB250, it's just a standard thing.

however no, it's not commonplace for all brands of bikes.

17. There sure is - get something other than a honda!

(ok, to be fair, get something other than a 10+ year old honda)

Phil

18. Neutral is piss-easy now that TB lubed up my lever properly (and I changed the engine oil). Might be worth considering...

19. yeah I remember doing my learners on a cbr and basically you had to turn the thing off to get it into nutral :)

20. My vfr400 will never get to neutral, and most won't. I guess it is part of the character, it's never bothered me, just keep your hand on the damn clutch!

There is a way to select it on stubborn bikes though: If you rev it slowly to around 3 grand, you should be able to gently slip it in.