Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem after service

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Wanderer, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I put in my VTR-250 for its 6000k service and after the service I am noticing a vibration at about 4k rpm when i change down. This vibration was definitely not there before the service. The only other thing I had done was a new back tyre. The vibraiton feels like an engine whine and drops out at about 2k rpm.

Any ideas before I take it back??
  2. Perhaps it is supposed to vibrate at that range, it was broken so they fixed it? :)
  3. :LOL: Aaah - so I was getting what I paid for!!
  4. They should have picked that up on the test ride, if your service centre doesn’t test ride your bike after ANY repair or service don’t take it there again, most problems or repair errors should be picked up on a test ride.
    There’s no shortage of catastrophic failure from bad repairs or service errors out there, it’s only right that those who put you at risk with their shoddy work risk their own neck first.
  5. Take it back and don't take any crappy doublespeak when they "explain" to you why the vibration should be there...
  6. Who was the dealer who did the work?
  7. Hi all, I was very interested to find this post here because the exact same thing happened to me just last week. I took the bike in for the 42k service (minor service) but I had a rear tyre change and I also ride a VTR 250. Before the service my bike had a 150/70 rear tyre (Michellin Pilot Road) but the mechanics told me that my bike should have a 140/70 so they fitted a Michellin Pilot Active.

I don't know what RPMs it was happening at because I don't have a rev meter, but I noticed that when I decelerated from anything about 60km/h as soon as it hit 50km/h I get this vibration that feels like it is coming from the back of the bike. This continues until I'm down to about 20km/h. I can't feel it during acceleration.

I initially thought it was a tyre problem so I checked for wobble and that the tyre was on the rim properly and it all looked OK. I then suspected the brakes so I tried slowing down with just the front brake, then just the rear brake and it happened regardless.

Anyway, I took the bike back to them and they checked a few things and took it for a ride. The first guy that took it for a ride said that he couldn't feel any vibration at all. So he got another guy from the workshop to jump on and he said that he felt something, but wouldn't call it a vibration. I don't get that. I very clearly feel what I would definitely call a vibration so what is up with that? So the second guy tells me that this is normal and that when they went on their test ride after the service that they would not have seen this as a problem and reckons he only noticed it because he knew to look out for it. He said that it could just be a noisy tyre. What the hell is a noisy tyre?!?!?!

Suffuce to say, I'm not really satisfied with that answer so I'm looking to the knowledgeable community here to help me out. What the hell could it be? Why would it be fine before the service and then be like this afterwards?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  8. Generally a 'noisy' tyre is how the tyre (tread pattern & construction) reacts with the road surface, in cars in particular some types of tyres are considered to be more noisy that other brands/models.
  9. I can appreciate that, but why would it only be noisy through a particular range of speed? Also, surely noisy doesn't necessarily mean vibrations. There's something not right here, but I just can't get an answer as to why.
  10. I bet this has something to do with chain tension or rear axle alignment.. both those things change when you replace the rear tyre.

Check the chain tension as per your manual. You can check that the rear axle is square by looking up the chain from the behind and seeing if it has a straight run.

I think what's happening is when you decelerate, the tyre is slowing down the engine so the bottom chain run becomes under tension and the top run becomes slack and vibrates. Try decelerating with the clutch in and see if that stops the problem...
  11. See if the vibration is still there with the clutch pulled in. It is possibly related to chain "tension". They might have inadvertently adjusted the chain so that it does not have enough slack.

You can check chain slack by following the instructions in the rider's manual.

Trevor G
  12. Thanks for all the replies.:applause:

I have checked the chain tension and the guys at the workshop did also and it looks fine. The vibrations are still there when I decelerate with the cluch in. I will check the rear axle alignment by looking at the chain from behind as you suggested and let you know what it looks like. I have checked the indicators on each side of the swing arm that show the position of the rear axle and they both look like they are on the same marker, which in general means that they are aligned.

Any other ideas?

What would be really interesting is if the person who opened this thread in the first place (Wanderer) would come and comment to see if he/she ever solved their problem and what it was. :wink:
  13. What's the front tyre like? If it's scalloped it can cause virabration on decelleration in particular speed ranges. Maybe you need to replace the front as well. :)
  14. The front looks good.

The only difference now is that they are different tyres. Before I got the rear changed, I had Michellin Pilot Roads on front and back. Now I have a Michellin Pilot Active on the back. I'm assuming that this doesn't make a difference, but happy to be proven wrong. I've been told that the vibrations are not anything to worry about, but they are still annoying.
  15. The only other thing I can think of that may be causing the vibration and hasn't been covered yet is the wheel balance.
    If the vibration is realy annoying ask to have the wheel rebalanced.
  16. checked the wheel alignment whent they placed the wheel back on to adjust the chain? maybe they adjusted one side of the swing arm and forgot to do the other.

roll it on the rear stand and see if it wobbles. you can clearly tell if it is not centered
  17. The bike doesn't have a rear stand, but I have a bike stand and was able to lift the back of the bike up. I haven't noticed any misalignment, but then I'm not an expert.

I think I'll be taking it to the workshop and asked them to do a wheel alignment for me just to be sure.

Thanks for all your replies. If you think of anything else, please let me know.
  18. Now, any time I change or have a tyre remounted and at least once during its life, I'll take the wheel off and balance it. Amazing how smooth a bike with very well balanced wheels can be. I realise this can seem a bit anal, but I once found a freshly mounted and "balanced" wheel nearly 10 grams "out" when I checked it. So much for getting them to do it. My record for accuracy? Less than a gram. That's probably unnecessarily close. Smooth to ride though.

This is a very gratifying and worthwhile thing to do if you've got a couple of hours to spare and gives you a good reason to have a real good look at the condition of your brakes, bearings, sprockets and chain as well. Then, any vibration coming from anywhere else is quite noticeable. No nasty surprises.
  19. A wheel off-centre will not wobble any more than when it is perfectly in alignment with the front wheel.

A wheel will only wobble if it is bent or buckled.

Trevor G