Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Problem, Advice.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by shady_knife, Sep 21, 2009.

1. i need some advice.

basically whats happened is i bought my bike in May, its broken down 8 or so times since then, after the third or so time i changed mechanics.

now the last 3 times its broken down its been related to the same issue, overheating.

i've taken it in, they say they've fixed it, runs fine, not hot at all. so i say thanks, pay up and leave, 10 mins down the rd its doing it again.

i bring it in a week or so later, they say they've fixed it. i say thanks, pay up and leave.

it breaks down again. i bring it in, they fix it, i pay up and leave. it breaks down again.

i rang up and told them it had broken down (3 days after getting it back [one of the times it didn't even last 24 hours...]) the guy said he'd do a quote for parts for free....

lesson i have learnt is don't pay until you have too. i won't be making that mistake again.

but the problem is, by this stage (and this amount of money) should i be demanding a free repair? if i hand over the cash, and it fcuks up within a reasonable amount of time, shouldn't they fix it for free, since they didn't fix it in the first place? should i call 'consumer affairs'? i really have no idea as to my rights and their obligations.

i fail to see how its my fault if they replace certain parts, without addressing the root problem, then charge me for it. then charge me again when it happens a week later....

what would you guys do?
  2. I had something similar. Took it in as the temp light was coming on. They charged me the first time but after that they didn't and I took it back 3 times. But intermittent problems are a bugger for everyone.
    Where are you and whats the bike?
  3. Considering you've paid 3 times and nothing has changed, I believe it should be fixed for no further cost to you. The 'mechanic' you went to has proven to be nothing more than a fitter, not a mechanic (a mechanic by my definition is someone who can actually diagnose and fix rather than just change fluids/parts).
  4. I'd agree, you've been paying them to fix the original issue - which they clearly haven't - but they've charged you for it. Sounds like they have a $hit attitude, if keep screwing you over in this way... threats are always fun. The threat of standing outside their shop every chance you get warning people of how dodgy they are is hilarious.
  5. I'd have been a little dubious after the second time.

Perhaps you should take it back and wait while they test ride it. And then demand that they test ride it when you return later. Payment pending on successful test.

Or try a different shop and request same.
  6. well i gave consumer affairs a call just to see if i have any feet to stand on.

he said i do.

that i came in and paid for the bike to be fixed, which it wasn't. so i can ask for them to fix. he said they'll likely say they were fixing different problems each time, then to say they should have addressed the over-all problem, not the little ones and that i have the right to ask for a free service or my money back.
  7. It's always difficult if they can't find the real cause to a problem, which they should be able to do, but sometimes it is not obvious and can be intermittent as Twistngo says.

That is why in the case of the bike I always ask to at least see any parts removed from the bike, and often keep them for future reference, in case the problem isn't fixed and the old part can be reused.

However if they keep replacing the incorrect parts and don't fix the problem, and haven't told you in advance that the fix they did may not be the cause, then at best they aren't trying, at worst they are just using you to make money.

I your situation, unless I have decided that the mechanic is completely incompetent, I ring them and book it in for a fix, confirm the time line and the expected result, and then say something like, "Of course, I wont be paying for this repair, since you have already made three attempts."

Usually they agree without issue, and only ask me to pay for some parts if the cause they find was much more expensive than what they had done until then. I consider such as request on a case by case basis, and discuss it with them. If it has some validity, I make an offer of payment, which may be only their cost, not the retail price of the components. An example I can think of right now on the bike resulted in me paying cost price for parts, and half the labour, which made the repair of a damaged rear brake and disc regrind much more acceptable, for a job that I initially thought should have been on warranty.

I've also had CO levels adjusted for free after a service, Brake and Clutch oil flushed and rebled for free, twice, and service on the forks free.

I don't find a need for threats in these situations. Just reasonable discussion. If that can't resolve an issue, I escalate internally in their organisation, and if that still fails I inform them that I am unhappy with the outcome, and would like a better offer. If that is their final offer, I let them know I will be pursuing a better outcome through Consumer Affairs, ACCC, Trade Practices Act, or whatever is appropriate for the item being discussed.

In 35 or so years of negotiation I've only had a couple of situations where a satisfactory resolution couldn't be achieved directly with the service or product provider, just through discussion. Most of the time I get better than satisfactory results.

It is always worth asking for what you want.