Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Probationary licence question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by LittleRed, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Hello all, I know this question has probably been asked before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that truly matched the question I have. So my apologies if I make you feel as if you're just repeating yourself over and over.

Today I passed my Motorcycle Probationary Test and have been issued a P1 license. That's all well and good, but the part I can't get my head around is the P2 part of the license. Before I got my P1 motorcycle license, I'd only ever got my Car Learners Permit and my instructor said today that I'd be stuck on my P-plates for 4 years. Which made me cringe, since I've got a VTR1000 sitting in the shed, to replace my CB250 that's getting a little old. The question I have is, after the P1 period are my restrictions lifted and am I allowed to ride the VTR1000? Or am I stuck with the CB250 for 4 years, simply because I didn't get around to getting my Car P's or full license?

Taken from the VicRoad's website :
    That to me reads that once the first 12 months are up, I'm allowed to ride whatever I want, even without my full motorcycle license, just my P2.

Any clarification would be much appreciated and apologies again for any annoyance.
    (Incase you were wondering, I'm 19 and currently hold a Car Learners Permit and Motorcycle P1 Permit.)

2. Yes you will be one year on P1 and three years on P2 because of your age.
    You are only required to ride a LAMS bike for the first 12 months of the P1 license.

You will have 4 years of the reduced demerit points structure:

If you get 5 or more demerit points within a 12 month period or 12 or more demerit points within any 3 year period when you are on your Learner, P1 or P2 licence, you will lose your licence or it may be suspended.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply, very informative. Just to clarify.. I'm allowed to ride my VTR1000 on P2 (Green Ps)?

4. You should have a date written next to the "R-E" category on your licence. The day after that date, you can ride any bike you like and take a pillion. Other P plate restrictions still apply.

5. Sweet, thanks! I have only recently passed the test, so I'm still waiting for my license.. but the slip I was given seems to have the date. Now to pass the time until the middle of next year. :arghh:

6. When the new changes come in later this year, anyone getting their license there after will be restricted to LAMS for the full probationary period WITH a pillion restriction as well.

7. So since I'm already P1, I just avoided the change?

8. This seems to align the Ps restrictions with NSW. In NSW P2 riders are still restricted to LAMS bikes and no Pillion passenger. So you can't bring your VT1000 to NSW while you are on P1 or P2.

9. A bit of a grey area here, but I think when you go for your P2 upgrade, the restictions will apply, becasue your P2 upgrade will be after the change in legislation.

10. I don't think I need to do any upgrade from here on. Pretty sure it just says on my license, the date my restrictions will end. So I think I may have just got through in time. Further investigation might be needed though, I might contact VicRoads.

11. I went down a similar path as you. Basically:
    • You're restricted to LAMS for a year, but after that can ride whatever you want
    • You'll have to display P plates for the whole of your probation period (regardless of the bike)
    • As far as driving a car is concerned, you're still technically only a Learner, so you need to display an L plate, be accompanied by a qualified driver, etc. You will need to sit and pass the practival driving test to progress to your Ps (but you'll come off your car Ps at the same time as your bike Ps). You won't have to re-sit your hazard perception test for the car test (but may need to argue with several VicRoads employees first to convince them... like I did).

12. Yeah thanks! The only thing I'm not sure about now are the law changes later this year, whether or not they will effect me since I won't be on P2 until next year.

13. I don't know exactly how the new regulations will play out. They are rarely retrospective, but who knows. I guess wait for the announcements.