Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Private vehicle import from 2018

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by chillibutton, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Surprised nobody else has raised this yet, but what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Import your own bike with new laws – Motorcycle news, reviews & riding tips - bikesales.com.au

Do I foresee some group overseas buys from Netrider from 2018 onwards - we all pick what we want and import on the same container lol!?

Certainly potentially a lot less expensive than buying the same model here, than for say the USA, but I have a feeling the car/bike dealers here may respond by cutting prices somewhat.

Thoughts anyone?
  2. I have imported a car through a broker in the past and imo it was in very good condition but quite pricey once you add up all the costs.

I would only be keen to import bikes which are not available here at all. I can foresee Groms being quite popular.

I would definitely be on a lookout for an old school 250cc Jap inline four as my track toy. All the ones available in Oz have been abused by too many learners. Nevertheless these rules are great for us as consumers.
  3. +1 for Groms!

And actually just looked at prices very quickly in US and UK - jeez maybe we're not as expensive as I thought, but I haven't looked too hard. 2016 MT-09 in UK is 7349 pounds (AUS14000 roughly) which seems to be a lot more than here, and Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono seems pretty high in US.

I know cars are a lot more here, but maybe not so for bikes....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Seems like a positive move, It's certainly going to give us the consumer more chance to get our hands on a particular model not currently offered here
    street 750 anyone
  5. Or Moto Morini 1200 Veloce(y)
  6. I have to admit that there isn't a current model motorbike, available elsewhere but not here, that I'd really want.

If the rules weren't so specific about age and mileage, I could be tempted to import a car.

Second hand Aston Martins seem rather more affordable in the UK than here.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You can get one over 25 years old under current regulations. Or go live overseas for a year, but anything you want and bring it back... ;)
  8. Right enough, a 25 year old Aston would go quite fast enough for me.

As for the year O/S, that's easy for you to say, but I don't fancy selling the idea to the Boss.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Whitch boss? The one that pays ur wages or the one u pay ur wages to:p
  10. Actually, neither.

I am retired, but my darling wife isn't.

I don't think "wages" would be the appropriate word, perhaps "pocket money"?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. If this had happened a couple years ago when our dollar was strong it would have been interesting.
  12. I think it's good news but mainly for the bikes we don't get here like the groms or the high end stuff. I was thinking cars is where it's at. Getting something like a Caterham on the road for less than ~$125K would be a bonus. But there aren't many others you would bother with as UK prices are as steep and steeper than here for most stuff. I'm sure there are some that I haven't thought of but anyway, high end bikes or ones we dont get.
  13. My old boss from the UK imported his porsche carrera and range rover over when he moved. He was taxed on the value of both cars as 'new' cars, not their actual current value at the time. High end cars like those and the aston mentioned depreciate rapidly in the UK in the first couple of years. They are 'cheap' compared to AU prices to 'purchase', but the red tape and charges are crazy. Ultimately he saved very little, resale value of those here is a sticky point to once someone knows it's an import.
    He said he wouldn't bother doing it again.

Look at the yank cars and imported bikes for sale on ebay. They all say 'have import papers'. In other words it's too difficult to do it myself so i'll take a quick earner and leave the hassle to the new owner.
    If there was dollars in it - the dealers would register themselves and then sell for top dollar not just an earner. IMO.