Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Private sale etiquette

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by flightcrank, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Hi guys, I've had my 250cc Across for 10 years now, that's one decade on the same bike and it has been my daily since feb 2004. she's @ 110,000ks and looks like she needs work on the engine,clutch and new rear tyre and more. All up repairs outweigh the total replacement cost of the bike. So its finally upgrade time.

after test riding the Suzuki sv650 and Honda cb900 today. The smoothness of the cb900 wins out. the only other bike on the list is a gsr600 which is about 1k more expensive so I've decided on the cb900 without testing the gsr600. Is this a mistake ?

I have not done a private sale in 10 years so I'm a bit rusty here. How do I protect myself here in terms of a cash sale what the proper etiquette?

I've already called a seller and arranged a meet and a short test ride has been agreed to. I've told him if the bike feels good then ill defiantly buy it. The bike has current rego and rwc. I've decided on a cash sale. Do I ask for some sort of receipt ? how dose that work so I can prove I've paid for the bike in-case I need to for registration transfer or something. I've got till Monday till I buy it, so I've got a little time if anyone can offer me any tips. :D

2. #2 Mcsenna, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Definately get a receipt, also get the rego papers signed transferring ownership to you and also check the id of the seller matches the rego.

The receipt should go something like

"Received the sum of.......being full payment for bike.......id I declare I am the rightfull owner of bike ...I'd and it is unencumbered.......bla bla "dated and signed

3. No - absolutely not

The GSR600 was never a big seller here - parts will not be abundant.

On the other hand the Hornet has a great following, it's cheap, has a good motor etc, etc.

Regarding etiquette - you sound way ahead of the curve already - good luck with the purchase.

4. #4 flightcrank, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    how do people normally get a receipt ? Just a blank paper that you both sign stating who got what. both get a different copy ?

how do you approach that situation ?

ill defiantly get the rego transfer papers thanks for that tip

ok awesome, ill write one of those up from him to sign. thanks for the help.

5. To protect yourself further you should check it is unencumbered, if the seller bought it on finance and that contract not fully paid out the finance company still has claims on the bike. The receipt will only help you if you find out it is encumbered and the seller takes it back and gives you your money.

http://www.revscheck.com.au

6. Plenty of receipts out there to download.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I would suggest to use https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/ppsr/SearchLanding which is just $4.00 for the same information.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bought one last week. Either way there is still a lot of trust that needs to exist.
    If you have the cash straight up I suggest doing everything at once post deposit e.g. you pass him rego form & receipt to sign, he signs then passes back with RWC . give cash he gives u key.
    I did via finance & was a bit messy but job was done in under 2 weeks.
    I also advise PPSR check straight after thinking of buying so your heart doesn't get broken also organise insurance cover the day prior to picking up just to cover all bases in-case you drop it or he does in his final day playing with it.

9. That defiantly sounds like solid advice jerry I will make sure the paper work rego/rwc are all in order before I hand over the cash.

however I sought a bike with a low outright cost to avoid paying for insurance at all.

10. I'd be getting third party property insurance in any case, to cover anyone you might hit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ^^^ Yus, Mirrors on AMG Mercedes!!

12. BMW bumper bars (in my case recently). Altho I have full comp insurance.

13. On this, if you put a deposit down and then have a mechanic do a once over, does the seller have to give you the money back if you walk away? Or is that what a deposit is?

14. The deposit is basically the down payment on the bike, i.e so the seller holds the bike for you at an agreed price pending payment of the remainder.
    If you pay a deposit, get the bike checked out and then decide to walk away you're basically kissing goodbye to the deposit. Although if it's that bad it could financially be the best move you do.
    You could pay a deposit on an agreed price pending and dependent on a mechanical check by a third party, but i'd doubt many sellers could be bothered with the hassle. Or you might get lucky.
    What if you agree a price, the report says you need to spend an additional xxx on the bike to get it up to scratch, do you then go back to the seller and reneg on the deal to get a few dollars off to cover the work?
    I'd be saying 'f#ck right off, mate'.

15. Its the old unwritten rule book. I've got a copy if you want.

16. I wouldn't be giving it back.

17. The rule book of buying and selling countless cars and bikes from Joe Public over the last 30+ years.

The deposit is basically the down payment on the bike, i.e so the seller holds the bike for you at an agreed price pending payment of the remainder. Agreed?

If you pay a deposit, get the bike checked out and then decide to walk away you're basically kissing goodbye to the deposit. Agreed?

You could pay a deposit on an agreed price pending and dependent on a mechanical check by a third party. As a seller i'd agree to that, but wouldn't be budging on the agreed sale price if the buyer wanted to take my trousers down after a checkout. I've done my bit holding the vehicle for the buyer why he does his due diligence, but the deposit is non returnable if he wants to alter the agreed price or pull out. What's wrong with that?

Cant see what you're driving at with the lack of common sense line - seems to make perfect sense to me and i haven't had any issues dealing this way for years.

I bought a track bike last Sunday, jumped in at mid day before another guy was scheduled viewing it at 3.00 pm, did the deal, payed a $50 deposit (i even offered more), the guy held the bike for me and i payed him out in full on Monday.

18. One thing I also do when I buy a used bike/car is write on the receipt that I have taken delivery of the vehicle as from this TIME and date to release me from any toll charges or traffic infringements that may have occurred earlier on the day.

19. I'd say if you've made any misrepresentation then you owe the deposit back, but good luck to the buyer getting it.