Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Private sale and not test riding

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by yardman, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Having read a lot of private ‘for sale’ adverts many of them mention “No test pilots” “Full-payment before any test rides”, etc. Some seem outwardly aggressive about the fact, I understand the seller’s reasoning but I don’t like the idea of handing over a stack of cash before making the decision to purchase as the bike could be a dog, overpriced or just wrong.

So, what if it becomes too difficult to do a decent test ride? Are there any definitive ways to check over engine and gearbox workings without riding? Or any tips on spotting mechanical mistreatment other than missed service/visible damage/leaks/etc?
  2. I've always managed to test ride every bike i've purchased yardmanyardman

I think it depends on whether you're actually a genuine buyer or not, your attitude/behaviour and appearance. In other words gaining the sellers trust to some degree.

Most sellers wont want to let a bike go because it'll either 1) be stolen, 2) be crashed.

Cover off the stolen part with your ID/licence/leave your car/bike and keys. The crashed part is a little more difficult, but if you come across as genuine i found it helps. Offer to let them follow, or just take it up the road and back perhaps. Leave a deposit covering damage. Sign a contract perhaps. I don't know, i haven't actually found it that difficult.

I took my cbr600 off for about half an hour and left Mrs Lionz as collateral ;)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. And you went home with both the 600 and Mrs Lionz... you lucky thing!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I can understand both sides of the argument having bought plenty and just sold one a few weeks ago.

I didn't write no test pilots but I was going to take each person on their merits.
    Especially without insurance. Just a little of on a sportsbike is 4k never mind something at speed.
    At the very least I would suggest providing 1k cash and car keys license and Mrs Lionz as collateral to prove your serious and I doubt you'll have a problem test riding a bike.
    The seller just needs to be reassured. The same reason you want to ride it. To reassure yourself it's okay.
    I also know of in instant that someone left the car keys and test rode the bike only to find out the car left as collateral was stolen.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Which surprised me fin in a nice way........... i thought she'd have followed the cash
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Yup I wouldn't buy a bike without a ride. Agree with LionzLionz above completely.

Likewise, wouldn't even think of selling a bike without letting the interested party ride it (unless they were unlicensed). But you do have to take precautions as mentioned as well.
  7. You've obviously seen what Mrs Lionz looks like........
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. When I sell a bike, no cash or no bank guarantee in my favour = no ride, no if's no but's...

It also helps to qualify a person. tyre kickers don't have cash, genuine buyers have access to funds be it from a bank or in cash. I'm happy to take someone on the back, happy to let them follow me etc but at the end of the day if they drop it and just walk away, you have an awful mess on your hands. I also have a bike that is insured only for me to ride it, no other person is covered.

If they object to handing over the cash, I tell them to go ride one somewhere else, and if they then want mine, they can bring the cash and the sale is subject to satisfactory test ride, with the condition in writing that any damage at all, regardless of fault = they own it.
  9. LionzLionz- can I borrow your wife when I go for the next test ride?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. No test ride = no purchase for me.

Infact I won't even respond to ads that advertise as such.

When selling, I take ID and simply call my insurer to upgrade my insurance for the day for like $10.

If the purchaser crashes it, and gets weird or refuses to pay the excess.....I know where they live. I will get the money. Well me or one of the 2 or 3 dozen certain unsavory cruiser riders I can call upon.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Probably a tad simplistic thinking you'll just get your money like that. No matter how many badarses you think you know. There's plenty more out their that are badder.....

The upgrade of the insurance is good idea. When I just sold my bike though I had no insurance at all so an upgrade was impossible.
  12. #12 BugzR34, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    You need to also realise that most people don't like crashing as it actually hurts.
    So if you cover off on it not being stolen by taking ID etc then it should be ok. I sold a bike to a guy who didn't have a license yet.
    He was definitely not keen to ride it as he was afraid of stacking it.
    Also sold to another guy a different bike and he brought along a mate of his who was a rider to test ride my bike, he looked very confident when he got on my bike and rode better than me at the time. When I bought my bikes I brought along my brother and a mate who were both better riders than me at the time and relied on their assessment of how it rides. So yeah on five seperate occasions there was a successful exchange which included some sort of test ride with no negative consequences. Sussing out the seller is definitely recommended though :)
  13. Not everyone is a crook!

No test ride unless full payment in hand? You will never sell it using that tactic !

If you are a genuwine buyer intrested you will show up with at least 1-2k to put down to offset the risk to seller and a valid state licence !

If your not allowed a test ride even with a 1-2k bond. What's the owner hiding?

Non of this crap I'll take you pillion but your not riding shit! Walk away!

It's not hard to suss out tyre kickers ( test pilots) vs genuwine people intrested.
  14. I sold my bike recently, the bloke gave me the full cash in hand before taking it for a test ride.

I actually asked to hold his licence but he just gave me the full amount.
  15. If it's a LAMS bike you're looking at than the chances are that someone test riding will be doing their first ever road ride. Would I be happy to let a fresh out of the course L plater test my bike? probably not. But it does make sales hard in this market.
  16. Can't see a problem there George, may even help you get a few dollars off your Brutale from the Salesman with her uncanny, almost natural, knack of acting like a dumb blonde............ lulls 'em into a false sense of security my friend. Tactics. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. As a novice, I suppose my crash risk is the main thing. Dropping someone else’s bike on a test ride after I've decided I don’t want to buy it would be bad form. Also, I'm fairly poor at navigating Brisbane having only been here a few months, so there’s every chance I could go missing without meaning to.
  18. I didn't test ride my first bike. I didn't have my learners. But I spent a lot of time with the buyer sussing out his responses to many questions and he had everything in order. I still keep in contact with him.

Second bike I wasn't planning on test riding at all as I'd only been riding for two months. I just did my full due diligence, but in the end the owner encouraged me to ride it. So I took it very carefully around the block.

But, having said that, I didn't see quite a few because of their no test ride policies and refusal to provide a road worthy.
  19. It's a tactic to quantify time wasters. If you're not prepared to go see a bike without having at least a cash deposit on you, you're a time waster/tyre kicker/dreamer.
    If you're one who doesn't even investigate adds that state deposit etc required, then you probably fall into the time waster category and probably miss out on some pretty decent bikes. Think about it, the owner is protecting their asset if you take off on it or crash it.

You do understand that you are not committing to make the purchase?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. I have the same view, test rides are only to confirm the bikes in good shape not for determining if it's right for you or to have a little fun. I'll always take a full payment (which covers the excess and bike if they crash) and take a picture of the licence.

If the buyer is prepared to hand over the money they
    a) Were never going to buy the bike
    b) Not confident riding the bike

No, but you can get a good idea by looking at the chain, brake pads tyres and sprockets as to the owner's driving style and how well they keep up on maintenance. I check the condition of the engine by its sound throughout the rev range and colour/smell of the oil. You do however need to ride the bike to confirm the clutch is ok and the bike shifts through gears smoothly.