Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

private or dealership

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jecaspa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. hey guys,
    just after some of ur opinoins from ur expieriences would i b betta off goin private or dealer for my first bike i was thinkin dealer but herd some bad stuff about them doin dogey work and i don't wanna get a bike that i paid a bit extra for b ridin it the next day thinkin its in great cond. and somthin goes wrong lol any comments, ideas or advice woule b awsome thanks!

2. You'll almost always get a better price from a private sale. If you know how to inspect a bike, or you know somebody who'll come with you and look, there's nothing wrong with ging private. Takes more time but you get to speak to somebody who actually knows the bike.
  3. When I started off looking for a bike I looked at just dealership until I heard some bad stories about dealerships and from what I can tell and a closer inspection of the dealerships I found the stories to b pretty valid. I then started to look at private sellers and found them easier to deal with and also I can confirm with another person that the bike is in the condition that he says it is. I had a friend which was a mechanic he checked out the bike for me and told bith me and the seller of what the bike is actully worth. The price that I got for my bike is alot lower than dealership's price. With private seller you dont need to worry about servicing ur bike as u can choose where you'll put ur bike in. Most of the time I dont believe in after sales service unless I did some research and they tell different.

In the end I would carefully choose a private seller.
  4. Private: Most of the time they are cheaper than a dealer, but depends if they serviced the bikes themselves or had a dealer do it and even if they really knew what they were doing. Something goes wrong with the bike its up to you to get it fixed.

Dealer: Little bit dearer, you get a warranty with the purchase, you know the bike hasn't been stolen.

Piece of mind, I go to a dealer and talk them down.

For example my Brother in law brought a trail bike off a friend of the family that supposeably does his own mechanic work to his friends and his own vechiles yet when we got the bike home we had a few drammas.

Grass and mud in the clutch, sawdust in the oil, bolts were threaded on the shaft that opens and closes the valves, timing tensioner was none existant (a bike doesn't need one of those thingyies) and a heap of other hassles. My little Brother in law thought he was getting a great deal at $1000 for a bike he could take home and use from a close friend of the family but after taking it to a bike mechanic and seeing the crap and gunk that we got out of it and replaceing the threaded items and a couple of caskets (which weren't there when we stripped it) its cost him another $600.

This is an extreme example but if you don't know much about looking a bike over other than cosmetic or know someone who does then buy from a dealer or even take the private bike to a dealer and ask them how much they would give you for it if you were selling it to them and pay them to do a once over (normaly around $50 but dependson the mechanic) before you buy it.
  5. go private, you can tell if a person serviced the bike themselves because they wont have the machanics stamp in their book.

get a bike with a book that has all the stamps and medical history.

you're more likely to get done over. i was.

stay the hell away from ACTION please. they have almost killed riders, they are the dodgy bros.
  6. unless you want a bike with a warrenty (ie less than 2 years old), there is absolutly no point buying from a dealer, in my opinion of coarse. if you do buy from a dealer, best to go to a large factory dealership. if you go private, take someone who knows a bit about bikes. private sellers can be more flexible in bargining with, depending on the condition of the bike and how long it has been on the market.
    read in the articles section DIY bike inspection and buying your first bike, it has great info. good luck with it.

7. Go private. With the change you can buy a new keyboard..... :p
    Welcome to the nut house too. :)
  8. If you want a newer bike (up to five years old) dealer could be a good option - see warranty below.

If you are buying an older cheaper bike - private.

Dealer benefits - generally easier test ride, should be some sort of warranty - or negotiate one. Larger choice of bikes, ability to negotiate to get cheaper gear and plenty of range in one spot

Private - cheaper sale.

Do your homework and then decide what the best deal you can get is.

Where did you get that from??

Five years and 30,000kms three month statutory warranty

9. No legal requirement in VIC on used bikes
  10. jecaspa - this should be the next thing you read: CLICK HERE

Read it all. In that you'll see 3 other link to other netrider threads. Read those as well.

Good luck :)
  11. Buy from a dealer... just said that because I wanted to be different.

But really I don't think you can apply a hard and fast rule to this. Find the bike you want, dealer or private - go look at it and take somebody with you that knows their shit. Frankly it doesn't matter where the bike comes from because either way you can get a lemon or a gem.

Find the bike you want, try to get it at the price you want. A dealer might be more expensive than private, but they might give a good discount on all the other stuff you may need. An LMCT gives you at least some guarantees.

Judge a bike on it's own merits, not where it has come from.
  12. You can't put all the dealer eggs and private sale eggs into their single baskets..

I went to buy car privately which was in pretty good nick, but the guy wouldn't budge. Seemed to think he was offering a sweet deal but when we tried to muscle him down on the price he wouldn't move so we went and bought a car from a dealership. A few cosmetic issues but for 2800 we got a 1993 lancer that runs smoother than my old 2005 Getz.

Anyone on the gold coast, for bike issues/help go to Hinterland Motorcycles on Lawrence Drive. Is run by a fellow named Paul and he's a legend, one of the 'old school'. He discounts everything and is as honest as they come.

I tipped my bike over and petrol got all up in the cylinders etc... the petrol loosened up a whole heap of crap that had been built up around the engine due to the wrong fuel being used by the previous owner.

Two days later and a full engine pull down later, I paid $100, and that was to fix the cosmetic damage to the bike (engine cover scratches, faring scratches etc). The whole engine thing was covered, no questions asked, by warranty. This is a 15 year old CBR250RR mind you.

There are some honest ones out there, gotta find them but when you do, they're a keeper.

I'll never go anywhere else.
  13. most road bikes have a 2 year unlimited kilometre warrenty, dirt bikes are generally three months. i know honda will extend it to 4 years if you pay an extra 400 bucks

"The Motor Dealers Act provides for a Statutory Warranty of 10,000kms or 6 months after sale, whichever occurs first.

Second-hand motorcycles (capable of being registered in New South Wales, that have travelled less than 30000kms, and are less than 5 years old at the time of sale) are covered by a Statutory Warranty of 3000kms or 3 months after sale (whichever occurs first).

i dunno about you but id do 3000kms in about 5 weeks, and i aint alot of time for something to go wrong.

cheers dom
  14. +1 for Hinterland Motorcycle. Very good at giving info and they do not try and force a sale on you.
  15. Buy the one that has a typing course thrown in as a bonus :LOL:
  16. funny you mention them!

i enquired about some urgent service recently and the rate was just bollocks :shock: eventually rang the shop i go to and it was almost half and they pretty much do it without appointment!
  17. A dealer here in Adelaide told me that, due to some legislation from '95, dealers in SA are not required to offer warranties on used bikes. Therefore, none do. Was this an excuse for him not having to offer me one, or do no dealers in SA actually offer warranties on used bikes?
    Kinda scrubs the warranty bonus of going through a dealer.
    Good luck!
  18. SECOND-HAND VEHICLE DEALERS ACT 1995 - SECT 23 (South Australia)
    23—Duty to repair

(1) Subject to this Act, on the sale of a second-hand vehicle by a dealer, the dealer is under a duty to repair any defect that is present in the vehicle or that appears in the vehicle after the sale.
    (2) A dealer must, in order to discharge the duty imposed under this section, carry out the repairs in a manner that conforms to accepted trade standards.
    (3) This section does not apply to—

(a) the sale of a vehicle to a dealer; or
    (b) the sale of a vehicle on behalf of a person who is not a dealer, if the sale—

(i) is by auction; or
    (ii) is negotiated by the auctioneer immediately after the conduct of an auction for the sale of the vehicle; or

(d) the sale of a motorcycle.

This was copied straight from the act - interesting that there is no point (c)....I wonder what that used to be?

Within the South Australian Fair Trading Act (1987) http://www.austlii.edu.au//cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/legis/sa/consol_act/fta1987117/s58.html?query=warranty there is a section on "False or Misleading Representations" so I presume, if you could prove it, you could have some protection available to you if the motorcycle bought from a dealer failed to perform in the manner they said it would, due to a mechanical fault. Furthermore, if you could prove that they offerred a warranty (which they're not obliged to - but let's say you made them agree to offer one by offering to pay a few hundred bucks extra for example) and then they renegged, it seems you could force the issue under the Fair Trading Act.

I've only ever bought one second hand motorcycle, and the dealer was pretty good about attending to a few issues I had after I took delivery. It seems they aren't required to by law, but some probably do out of good business sense and customer service. Perhaps try a dealer on, and get them to write a warranty into your contract. If they refuse, then at least you know what you're working with.

I've emailed OCBA to see if they can shed light on the "why" question.

Kind of gives you another reason (as if we needed any more) to feel even more of a second class road user. :evil: I mean, for fcuks sake, even a second hand lawnmower carries a statutory warranty!!!

Update: 2/5/07 - Reply from OCBA

This office only administers the Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Act 1995 so you may wish to contact your local MP to discuss this issue in regards to legislative changes.

When goods or services are purchased there is an implied warranty within the Consumer Transactions Act 1972 where, goods must be fit for a purpose for and last a reasonable time. The motorcycle must also comply with the Road Traffic Act 1961 as enforced by the SAPOL at the point of sale.

Also, when purchasing second-hand motorcycles the dealer may offer a voluntary warranty and the bike may also be covered by a manufacturers warranty.

If you should require further advice please contact our advice line to speak with an officer on 8204 9777.