Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Private Investigator

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by PJ2, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Private Investigator - Is anybody one or know of one ?

I'm maybe looking to get started in this industry and have got a couple of queries to be answered.

Thanks

2. Fire at will, what do you want to know?

3. uh vic.... i think you might have got the initials on your licence wrong ... I know it says PI but that stands for "pants investigator" not private investigator

4. I haven't done much research yet, as I am waiting to see if I get accepted into another position first.

But, bit of background information first. I have always wanted to be Police officer but only being 19 and having spoken to a large amount of Police officers they have suggested waiting 2 to 4 years to gain some 'life experience'.

So I guess my first question would be; As I am only 19 is this a major negative in finding work ? (I suppose the training companies would just take your money, even if they think that you won't find work) .

Second Question, How hard is it to get work at the end of the course ? (competitive)

Third question, In relation to the age question's would it be possible for companies pair you with a more experienced PI, (Sort of like a trainee sort of thing, but after completing the training yourself.

Any other information would be great.

Thanks,
    Tim

Edit: Just read Eswens post. After writing all that, and you were proberly joking

5. well from all that I have heard of, most/all PI's have been ex police or so who have lots of contacts and experience from their policing years to give them the know how and stuff to be a P.I. I think being in a law or military job for a (long) while should be a pre requisite for thi skind of work?

6. Ummm, it's not a set of figures that indicate when you are ready to joing the force. It comes down to a level of maturity that is required to remain in the force. Me, personally, I'm a clown, a jackass, I always piss-fart around and to most that would see me ousted as I would be seen to not take it seriously, for a cop anyway.

No, your age would not be a deterant in fiding PI work. More in the next answer.
    Yes, training companies wont give a rats-fat if you arent suitable, they will just take your money.

Work is out there, but remember that YOU need to source it. You will need a webfright, contacts, newspaper ads, YOU need to sell yourself.
    You can however be fortunate and score a job with a PI firm.

Dependant on the company. It's highly unlikley, it's like a patrols officer. You are cheaper and more cost effective when you work one-up as opposed to being paired.

The cost of the course is ~$2,500. A lot of money to outlay for a piece of plastic that gives you no more powers than a civilian. The only advantage is that the cops leave you alone when you are reported as a "suss-loiter"

re the eswen post, she was being jovial, I wasn't joking.

Hope that helps you some.

7. Thanks for your help Vic.

I research the job a bit more during the week

8. If you decide to do the course, let me know and I'll put you onto a good instructor.