Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Prices on RedBook

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by yeowie, Sep 19, 2007.

1. hi, just got my L's so i'm in the market for a bike. i've pretty much got my heart set on a cbr250r/rr (getting ready to be shot down) mainly because i want a sports bike and from the word of mouth.

i'll have to take out a loan from the bank so i dont want to go crazy with the price as interest is a killer. i'm a man on a budget and was looking to spend not too much more than 5k on the bike (excluding stamp duty etc).

i had a look on redbook and they list 1989 R's at just over $3k and 1994 RR's at between $3.5k and $4.1k... i cant even get anything close to that on bikesales and bikepoint.... do redbook dramatically underestimate them or something?

would anyone be able to give me a general price bracket for a 94RR with <40,000km on the clock? much appreciated

2. The prices you mentioned there for the RR would probably be what the dealers would take it as a trade in......
    I got confused with that too when I was looking for my bike.
    The going rate is about $5k from private sellers and about $6k+ from dealers.
  3. And for that you can get a new GPX or a nearly new VTR...
  4. Both the red book and glasses guides suck!

they have 4 uses

For the dealer to kick you when trading in a bike

To identify model designation and year

To stop the table / chair rocking by placing under the offending leg

A Coaster for your coffee cup on when no CD is handy
  5. Okay to state the obvious all CBR250s are old bikes - so don't forget that not only are you going to be paying interest on the loan but there could be a few surprise costs just keeping the thing on the road (especially if you're using a mechanic). So you'd be far better off buying either something much cheaper, so there's less interest - or newer, so there's less chance of something breaking - or both (ie a GPX that's a few years old).
  6. LAWL! :LOL: i did do a search on redbook, but i wasnt able to find what i wanted. i dunno if its just me but it wouldnt let me do 2 consequtive searches. said i had to wait a while...

yea i spose its true that the cbr's are getting on with age... but i'm also thinking about looks and resale value as well. for a 4 stroke 250. i was thinking of the cbr125, but ive heard that on a freeway with a headwind id be getting nowhere slowly.

if i can find a cbr in good nic i'll get one, but if not i'll need to look elsewhere.

7. Would appear so.

For the 94 model there were 121 search results on B/sales & only 2 bikes
    with that range $4,800 & $4,900.

2 on B/point, & 2 in the www.tradingpost.com.au as well.

How bout this one?

Only including Year of Manufacture & price, this one of the six is the best

Forgot about the 89 models. That'll be a 20yo bike soon. :LOL:

Trading Post: 5 bikes (avg $6013)

Bikesales: 8 bikes $4,800 --> $7000 (avg $5687)
    BikePoint: 1 bike $5000 54,000 km

BTW Glasses Guide which is more accurate has market value as
    $4300 <--> $6000 which as you can see is more realistic.
  8. since your on a budget, have you even considered getting an insurance quote for one of these bikes?

i think youll find, if you go for something a little older and a little less sports orientated, the insurance will be a hell of a lot cheaper