Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Price of servicing car vs motorbike?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by trinny, Jan 6, 2009.

1. I don't know the in's and out's of servicing a bike compared to a car but it doesn't seem right that servicing a bike costs about the same as servicing a car. My line of thinking is that a bike is smaller, lighter, parts easier to access, less oils and lubricants, less parts and joints to "inspect". The fairings would take a little time to take off but some car engines also have a cover that needs to be taken off to access the spark plugs injectors etc.

So why does it cost a similar amount (sometimes more) to service a bike which seems to be able to get done quicker and easier?

2. Less people have bikes, so parts and consumables will be more.

3. Depends on the car.
    Try getting a quote for a service on something like a Ferrari, which has an engine in a similar state of tune to most bikes, then see if you still think bikes are expensive ;).

4. On a car they open the bonnet to check the engine and put it on a hoist for oil changes.

There is more fiddling about on a bike for a basic service.

However if you are talking about things breaking and full blown repairs, well the bike will be much cheaper than the car.....unless it's an Italian bike in which case prepare to screeeeeeaaammm :shock:

*Edit as i meant to type bikes are more fiddly for a basic service than a car.

5. Fairings don't come off as easy as a bonnet opens.

The petrol tank has to be removed on my bike to get to the plugs.

Labour nearly always costs more than parts.

Smaller components don't necessarily mean it's easier to service.

6. My last service was a major milestone, and sure enough the labour cost more than the parts. Just make sure you get what you pay for with the labour and get an experienced mechanic - you'd hardly want to pay the same for an apprentice at Steveo's (sorry apprentices, bit harsh, but I love my baby and my back pocket)

7. The cost of labour may vary from mid $70.00 up to $100.00 an hour.

Do the maths. $500.00 gone (labour and parts) in 4 hours :shock: Just goes to show that shopping around for a good mechanic who charges reasonable rates is worth the time and effort. Always ask how much an hour you will be charged.

Better still, learn to spanner yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  8. While bikes are smaller, they may still have a similar number of components to service. My 250cc bike has 4 cylinders - 4 spark plugs, just like a car. Just they are harder to access.
    Likewise, an oil change involves the same process - removing drain bolt, draining oil, replacing filter, replacing oil. Just like a car.

Tires tend to be twice as expensive as car tires (not sure why), but you only need half of them.

You do, however, save money on the 'interior'. You don't need to pay to fix your power windows, stereo, speakers, gas struts etc.

So basically, a bike is a small and sparsely furnished car. :cool:

9. lol you have a new bike your 1st 2 services will be the cheapest then goes up until your at 30,000klms then cheap again and goes up again.

For me I did my services at the dealership.

1,2 = $250
    3 = $500
    4 = $800
    5 = $1300

then restarts.

It get dearer because then change more stuff each time, like the 3rd time around they are looking at timing chains and plugs and at the dealership they will just change everything anyway.

Should be the same deal when going anywhere else but your kinda locked into the dealership if you want to keep the warranty on the bike.

it gets dearer mainly because your servicing is always at the 6,000klms mark where as a car might be every 8,000 to 10,000klms.

Also your bike is reving a hell of a lot more than any car on the street even modded ones, bikes going up to 18,000rpm redlines from factory a car will be lucky to get around 8,000rpms redline.

10. i've always been of the somewhat nieve understanding of:
    you don't pay for the work, you pay for the person who knows how to do the work...

as for a job title... a bike mech is just the same level as a car tech... if a service on a biek takes the same as a car... fair enough to charge the same... otherwise we'd have no bike techs

11. Even more reason to do the majority of servicing yourself.

12. lol the good old myth that bikes are cheep to service and run :rofl:

Any bikes service / fuel costs averaged out over a given period and then compared to 90% of cars for the same period.

You will see that a bike is far more expensive to run.

13. Yeah that's fair enough that it costs that much if everything is harder to get to and you gotta take apart half the bike just to get to the plugs and other parts. It didn't make sense before when I was thinking how easy it is to do a basic service on a car.

I have now seen the light... :grin:

I am looking forward to doing my own minor services when its out of warranty

14. servicing is very cheap when your mate is a mechanic, pay with beer... just make sure drinks beer AFTER completing work... otherwise it will take all night!

It depends on the car of course but in comparison my bike is cheaper than my car...
    Takes less oil
    less coolant
    less spark plugs
    less brake pads
    cheaper clutches
    less tyres

although it uses more chains, sprokets and tyres
    this is offset with petrol usage
    fun
    less time in traffic
    free parking
    fun
    speed

need i say more?

15. Very True....

Except it's stupidly expensive to get the same performance from a car.

That's where the cost benefit really is.

16. What I find abominable is that many workshops will charge you a full rate for apprentices to work on your machine. Now I understand that people need to start somewhere, but when you are playing with someone’s life and usually a very complex well balanced piece of technology, no way. Unfortunately this happens all to often.

Issue is that modern bikes don’t need tinkeres, they need engineers that understand the specific product (eg, Gixxer, R1, 1098).

For example, I would expect that a new bike mechanics career would start with training in the production factory of the motorcycle, and have to pass gruelling quality exams to be qualified.

Pay them a reasonable salary and I will happily part with $200 an hour for labour.