Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Price of helmets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ursus, Nov 30, 2012.

1. While browsing trough the shop shelves I noticed that the price of helmets varies from $89 to $800. Clearly, in some cases it is due to the paintwork. But even for the helmets with simple colours th price difference was threefold. All of them had the Aussie approval sticker.

Why the difference? What's the best way to mak sure you get a reliable helmet? Stick to the top brands? Does the price matter?
  2. All pass the standard test, but some may pass it by more than others (though independent tests have shown it's not always the most expensive helmets that offer the best protection).

The other thing you're paying for is things like improved ventilation, reduced wind noise, lighter weight, etc. Takamii's our resident helmet expert, since he makes them for a living, so I'm sure he can add some further insight. In the meantime here's a link to some useful info on comfort and safety ratings he linked to in another thread:

Note the RJAYS SP2 for example rates very highly for both protection and comfort, yet at less than $300 is a lot cheaper than many of the helmets lower than it in the ratings. So find what fits, then do your research as to what seems the best for the amount of money you're willing to spend (the internet is full of reviews).
  3. In my opinion, fit is more important than price. No point having an $800 helmet if it doesn't fit you properly.

However, if all things are equal (including fit and comfort) I'd go with the most expensive I could afford.
  4. The more I read, the more confused I get, which is a problem because I need to replace my current helmet in the new year.

The one common theme in all of the advice is that fit is all-important. The most protective helmet that money can buy is not going to be all it can be if it doesn't fit properly. Indeed, a poorer quality helmet will protect better if it fits really well than a great helmet that fits badly. So take the time to make sure you get a really good fit, and if you're not sure, walk away and come back later. Or go to the next shop where the assistants can provide better advice.

My 2c
    • Like Like x 1
  5. My advice is, get the helmet that you like the best, even if it costs > $800, because let's be honest, you're going to get it at some stage anyway. So why not just save your money and instead of wasting it on some cheap helmet in the interim that you don't like the best, go all out and get what you want, the first time!

Improved ventilation generally means more noise. I have got the Corsair 5 and it can get VERY noisy. So there's a tradeoff between the two qualities - ventilation and noise.
  6. Nope. Have a look at the test results I linked to above, some of the best for ventilation are amongst the quietest.

Bits protruding from the helmet create noise, but there are certainly ways you can flow a high volume of air without significant disruption to the flow around the rest of the helmet. Problem is there's always going to be an optimum range, and for many helmets this may well be a lot more (or even less) than the 100kph used in the RTA tests.
  7. I know this has been discussed recently but the other thing with helmets/noise/buffeting etc is the bike you ride. As an example I had an AGV Xvent years ago when I had a GSX600F. The helmet was brilliant, quiet, comfortable etc etc. Then I bought the Bandit, my brilliant helmet was instantly turned into a piece of crap that tried to pull my head off at speeds over 90. No such issues with the HJC CL12 or FS15.
  8. #8 NAK, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Yeah I know, I read quite a few reviews on the helmet before getting it (I was going to get it anyway, but just out of interest) and most of them described it to be very quiet. I was quite surprised when It turned out to be otherwise (and initially a bit disappointed too). I admit I haven't used any other helmet, but I surely can tell that it is a noisy helmet and could get quite tiring on long journeys, so ear plugs are highly advisable.

Edit: Actually it's surprising to see how the Arai has performed so poorly in the test when it receives very good reviews otherwise..
  9. ALL above comments are valid and good knowledgeable advice

10. It almost makes you think that some reviews are influenced by advertising.
  11. And to give Takamii a plug, if you want a very lightweight, very nice looking helmet at a good price, check out the Rhok range. Very good customer service from those guys, and pm Takamii for details about where to try them on.
    Pity they're not available in Adelaide.
  12. True, but it's a GP grade helmet at the end of the day, almost certain they wouldn't use something that is not upto the mark. Which makes me think, how reliable is the testing system employed by the relevant local authority.
  13. Fixed that for you. MotoGP riders are not wearing the same helmets they sell in shops.
  14. GP riders wear whatever the hell their sponsors tell them to.
  15. jd What's the difference? How much do they cost?

AFAIK the carbon ones have only recently been introduced and cost around $4-5k. Those I believe are now used by the GP riders??
  16. And the team owners let them wear it? I wouldn't think so they would gamble like that with the life of their most valuable asset - the rider.
  17. Arai vector 2 and shoei XR-1100 both cost around $600, will fit most heads out there, are readily available, have good independent crash test ratings and come in a variety of designs. Try those on and see how you go.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The difference is that MotoGP helmets are custom made to the rider, not mass-produced in a factory.

No idea what they'd cost, but given how much more their custom bikes cost than a standard road bike I'm guessing the answer to that would be - lots.
  19. OK here's an excerpt from the website of their authorised distributor for North America. Quite sure they cannot put up misleading information on their website like that:

"The Arai Corsair V is for riders that want absolutely the best, this is the same helmet that the Moto GP riders wear.."

20. Did you see the disclaimer they have on the LHS of that very webpage? (under the Arai logo)
    (not to mention the fact even they describe it as a "racer replica")