Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Price of 748???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by jayesse, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a 748 in the next couple of weeks, but am unsure of real world prices as there is so much variance in advertised prices on the interent - which generally aren't indicative of the final sale price.

Some basic details of the bike are as follows:

Nov 2000 model (2001 spec) - 10 months rego
    Red
    9,500km
    10,000km service complete
    New tyres
    Termis (just the cans)

It's in mint condition and coming from a trusted source.

The bike belongs to a friend of mine and we haven't discussed price as yet - I've merely expressed an interest in aquiring it seeing as though he is looking to sell. I'm going over to check it out thoroughly on the weekend but want to have it clear in my head what is a realisitc price as I don't want to get caught up in the emotion of it all......it's a hot bike after all!

Any help would be appreciated.

J

2. 15k give or take

3. Red Book is your friend...

4. If these things went for $9400 I'd be taking a loan out! Red book is sooooo way off. Just have a look at websites like bikesales.com for an idea of what the market is.

5. Yeah, but there's market, and then there's market...

Asking is also not selling price, knock a grand off the asking price and thats more like it...

People want as much for it as possible, companys fit a default depreciation value.

6. Mint low k 748's go for around 14000 private MAX. , assuming it's not an R.
    But if you know the bike and it's history , well that's worth alot of piece of mind .$14000 might be a fair price.
    You can buy cheaper 12500 - 13500 but with 20k more on the clock.
    I'd start at 13K ..your mate says 15K... and off you go,start the haggle.

7. The figures on redbook are not accurate. They are figures reported to RTA etc... which quiet often are under reported so the buyer pays a lot less in duty/taxes etc... Take this figures with a grain of salt.

8. Cool thanks guys. Sounds like my line of thinking is pretty accurate.

Just good to get a bit of feedback from those more experienced and detached from the situation.

Hopefully I'll be the owner of one of dream bikes in the coming weeks!

9. Yeh, Redbook is useless. It values my SR500 at $1500 (makes getting proper insurance NOT an easy ride!). I find this site more spot on, at least regarding those bikes I know the value of, and I believe QBE looked it up when I haggled with them over the value of my bike, given that they offered the exact value listed there:
    http://www.ausbikeprices.com/
    "What's this? - This site contains a database of asking prices for motorcycles for sale in Australia (except WA and NT which are effectively a different market). We scan various online motorcycle classified advertisements weekly and create a summary of average prices. The database currently contains prices from June 2005 to Wed Aug 1 21:58:18 2007. This ia a guide only - prices may vary considerably due to condition, modifications and other factors, and even according to season. And there may be errors in the data. Further, we summarise asking prices - actual negotiated sale prices may differ. You'll have to use some judgement of your own...."

Matt