Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Preventing a flat battery

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Justin Stacks, May 13, 2013.

1. Found a bike I fell in love with for my upgrade and snapped it up. Only problem is I don't come off my Ps for another few months, so I actually can't ride it unless I take that risk.

To keep my battery from going flat, will starting the bike regularly and letting it idle for awhile prevent the battery from going flat, or does it need to be ridden? If it needs to be ridden, for what length of time?

If so, I'll probably have to get a mate to ride for me :cry:

2. $40 trickle charger.

3. I thought of trickle charger but I don't have an electrical outlet close to my parking spot (spot is in an apartment block garage).

If I can get a trickle charger hooked up, will that be good enough for months on end?

4. It's Italian, it needs to be ridden regularly or it will fall to pieces.

It'll be a pain for me but I'll ride it for you. Once a week OK?

5. Alternatively, why not strip it down and work on it - turn it into something unique?

6. Silly suggestion, but what about taking the battery out of the bike and giving it a top off once a week? That said, is there something bad that would happen to the ECU (if it indeed has one) by being off battery? Hmmm...I'm thinking wrecks and I'm thinking no issue.

Most of the adaptive tuning stuff (if any) is kept in non-volatile memory these days isn't it? Worst thing is it runs a little poorly while the ECU gets its wits about it again IMHO. Anybody got any experience to volunteer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. *Cough cough* ride it sensibly *cough cough*

8. Take it for a spin once a week around the block.

9. Engrider is right, take the battery out and put it on charge regularly.

There are other things that need to be run though, oil circulation etc so the mate option may be the best choice. Riding a bike outside your class of license is a risk, 4 points and $500 fine in NSW, possible uninsured as the Insurance company will not pay up. Your decision though. ;)

10. That's what my original plan is. Although I don't think I'll be able to limit myself to just once around. There's going to be a lot of early weekend morning rides around the block ;)

11. When the booze busses are most likely out? I think you could work out a better time.

12. I'd literally be going around the block (not on main roads), so usually no booze busses on side streets.

But thanks for the reminder...I guess I won't be out there too early

13. I'm pretty sure you'd need more than that to replace the charge lost to starting a bike. Any electronics people out there able to tell Justin the charge produced by an alternator and the charge used starting an engine?

14. Sorry, I meant go around the block for like 20 to 30 minutes.

Would that be enough?

15. I may be wrong, but I've always just disconnected the battery leads when not using a vehicle for a few weeks or more. I've left a battery disconnected for a year and it worked just fine after reconnecting it, it lasted another 3 years in use.

16. "excuse me officer, I'm about to go to church and there's been some motorcyclist doing laps of the block for the past half hour, I'm sure he must be dealing drugs". If you bikes fairly loud then doing something like this will catch the attention of neighbours who can get whingy.

Your best bet is to just swap rides for a day. Don't do anything out of the ordinary. Although I'm not sure if the fancy new police number plate detectors would flag vehicles that are registered to someone without the license class to use them.

17. My understanding was that the number plate reading system did exactly that, amongst several other things.

18. if the battery is in good health a few months connected is nothing.

if it's health is unknown disconnect it.

If you want to keep it in good shape take it out of the bike and leave it on a trickle charger in your apartment.

if your worried about oil etc. forget about it... in a couple months time when your able to start riding the bike, give it a service, replace all the fluids, lube all the pivots/cables/linkages this is something i would do to any second hand bike before i started riding it anyway.

if the battery does die a new one is like $80 and chances are the battery would have died soon anyway.

19. Actually I just noticed, you are not far from me. If you want I can come give it a spin every 2 weeks.

20. You have 2 choices.

1. Take the bike for a quick spin every week - not that I condone riding bikes you are not licenced for.

2. disconnect the battery.