Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pressure washer general

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by ibast, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I had to get a pressure washer to clean the driveway and when they quoted me $110 to hire one I though i may as well buy one for use on the bike. The specs of the one I bought were:
    - 1600W
    - 110 bar
    - 380 l/hr

I've used it on the bike and I've come to the conclusion that this is the minimum size that would be of any use to wash a bike.

so, do not buy a pressure washer smaller than this and preferably get one slightly bigger again.

also one with a water heating function would also be useful.
  2. How'd ya get around water restrictions?
  3. Same way I get around speeding on the bike.
  4. Just be careful is what I'd say - there's a temptation with pressure washers to just chuck a bunch of truck wash on the bike and then spray it off with the pressure hose, but I'm convinced that stuff roots chains.
  5. ...and bearings, and seals. Gotta be mechanically sympathetic to use a pressure washer safely.
  6. I was told that truck wash is an acidic cleaner, it actually takes off a thin layer of material, that Is what Lyndon Heffo told us, and it will actually take a thin layer off the aluminium frame <= relating to dirtbikes, so I'm not sure what it would do to painted fiberglass fairings, or the carbon fiber ones.
  7. I use Shell Dobatex on the bike.
    Give it a good soak using a plastic spray bottle, wait 10 min, pressure clean it off.. Does an incredible job! and doesn't harm O-rings, Brake calipers, alloys etc.
  8. . . . and don't buy Karcher domestic units either. The internal parts are plastic, can not be purchased as replacement parts, and when they fail, cannot be fixed. Mine lasted just one season. Now the pressure it produces is greatly reduced. It used to be capable of cutting skin using the fine jet when new, but now has no hope and hardly removes tough dirt. It also won't hold pressure in the lines so the pressure switch constantly turns it on and off, which is extremely annoying.

Buy a Bosch or similar with metal internal components. Check if spares are available. Or just ride down to the local car wash.
  9. I needed a pressure cleaner to clean the floor of a rented house (no my bike doesn't leak).
    I bought the cheapest bit of crap I could find ($99)
    Three years later it's still going fine, when it fails I'll chuck it out with no regrets.
    For non professional use it's more cost efficient than a decent gernie. Obviously it would not take continuous use for long... but for cleaning the bike, car engine bays, bbq etc. it's fine.
    I wouldn't recommend any non professional using heated water on bikes, that would only increase the likelihood of problems way beyond the added benefits.
  10. DON'T use pressure washers on your bike, unless you want water getting into lots of places it's not supposed to be.
  11. Actually it's fine to use a pressure washer on your bike, if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what might get damaged by high pressure water, or where water will get into something it shouldn't, then true, you shouldn't use a pressure washer on your bike.

But I use car wash pressure washer all the time to remove the larger chunks of crud, before washing it by hand.
  12. Decent hot water machines start at about $4000 and are the size of a BBQ, so they aren't great for around the home.

I recommend one of two options for a pressure cleaner for home use:
    Budget $1800 for the same one that hire companies like Kennards use. They are superbly reliable 2.2kw 1450rpm 4-pole motor; 2000psi 9 litres/minute.

Or spend $100 on a piece of shit chinese one from Bunnings.
    If it breaks within a year :arrow: woohoo! Warranty!

If it breaks after a year :arrow: woohoo! It only cost a hundred bucks!

If you absolutely must buy something inbetween, get a Bosch or a Ryobi machine (Gasweld stores do pretty good pricing on the Ryobi's, I think Magnet Mart have them too if you're in ACT), as they are still made in Italy, are reasonable quality, and spare parts are available (replacement guns, lances and hoses they'll sting you on though, so take care of them too. Buy some plastic spiro-guard, or slice through a piece of 1/2" garden hose and tape it around the first 2 metres of hose out of the machine, as that's a high wear-point due to vibration from the machine's motor and the action of the pump. Do the same at the other end, where the hose touches the ground while you're holding the gun).
    Don't replace the hose if it gets a hole in it: take it to a Pirtek/Enzed/Hydraulink and get it repaired. A repair will be less than half the cost of a new one, easily.

BUT read your instructions and take very good care of the machine: clean filters, run garden hose onto grass before connecting to get any settled dirt/silt out of it, avoid releasing and repulling the trigger often as this cycles the machine's unloader valve on/off and causes wear to a wearing part.
    To get one repaired will typically cost what you paid for it in the $300-$500 range, so look after it.
  13. Well a year and half later it's dead. I'm quite annoyed. It really didn't get used that much. I did the drivewayance, washed the bike 4-5 times with it and did the pavers out the back once. Two trustworthy people borrowed it for one job each and now it's dead.

I payed more than $99 in the hope that a higher quality, higher powered unit wouldn't need to work as hard and thus would last.

Typically I can't find the warrantee card or reciept, so I guess it's only got 12 months warrantee. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, as it is at my mother house.

I'll get it home and have a look, but my skepticism in the real quality of Bosch products has been confirmed.
  14. Bosch used to be good - but they sold out to "chinesecheapoism"