Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Prescription Glasses Shattering in a Crash

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by haksu, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Hi all,
    new to the forums, glad to be here!

I tried searching the forums and found plenty of topics on sunglasses and 'clear' glasses etc but I am curious about the shattering of said glasses.

I have quite poor eyesight which is fixed easily with contact lenses and normal glasses, but if I was to have a stack with my glasses on, what are the chances that they will shatter?
    I ask because I saw something in FastBikes magazine a few days ago with some poor fellow who had just that happen, and some bad wounds to show for it.

Glasses safe to wear? Yay or Nay?

(otherwise I'll just wear my contact lenses)

2. fwiw...a few years back when i was young and always in a hurry, i clipped a cab, went over the bars, did a few rolls and landed on my feet.
    some rash on the fingers and elbow (no gear...i was dumber then too), but also had a nice chunk out of my nose and two black eyes from where my helmet pushed my arnette sunglasses onto my face.
  3. Been riding for 20+ years have always had glasses on [ something about being able to see :LOL: ] I've had a few offs both minor and major, and have never had a glass/helmet/face related injury.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but with todays helmets it would be rare. :)

Now where is that old BELL helmet of mine that acted like a wind sock over 60kph ? :LOL:
  4. Perhaps if wearing glasses get ones with thinner weaker frames so if they do get pushed against your face they'll do less damage.

Unfortunately i find that with contacts due to air turbulance within the helmet, even small amounts, over time will dry your eyes out and make it very uncomfortable.
  5. I used to wear contacts but can't anymore. If I could I would. So I have to wear glasses but I deliberately find some with the smallest flexible frames possible and don't go overboard on the size of the lenses. Just more practical for having them under the helmet as the smaller frame arms reduce pressure points around your temples. Might also help in a stack if they are more flexible. Ask your optometrist about the type of material they can make glasses out of. I know the specs I have at the moment feel like plastic and are very flexible and light. Unfortunately, they were also very expensive.

At the end of the day, it is probably a very small risk - like carrying a mobile phone in your jacket. There is a chance that in an accident you could be injured by it so if it is really worrying you, best to take steps. But depending on the severity of the crash, there might be no way to eliminate the risk.
  6. If an impact is big enough to shatter your glasses, you're going to have bigger problems than broken glasses :LOL:.
  7. When you go to the optician tell them you will be riding a motorbike wearing the glasses, they have options for flexy frames and impact resistant lenses (both of which I use).
  8. Yep, acetate or acrylic sports lenses have been around for a long time now. They are not indestructible but they are stronger than glass, and do not cause the infection that glass particles do. Little bit exxy.
    I used contacts for years but had a few incidents with drying, or lenses coming out at inopportune times. So I had laser surgery.
  9. They don't tend to make glasses out of glass these days. One reason is that the manufacturers realise the dangers of having pieces of glass 1cm from your eyes. Another reason is that a lot of peoples perscription lenses would have to be nerdishly thick if glass is used instead of other materials. These other materials are things like polycarbonate and some other high impact stuff.
  10. Oh, I wish....If I get the easiest form of laser surgery done(the one that doesn't leave you blind for the first few days) I am immediately and permanently grounded from flying by the RAAF. They say they want to wait longer to see the longer-term effects(talking a decade!) before they start letting their aircrew get lased.
  11. WOW!
    Thanks for the rapid and very helpful replies!
    What a great community.

I think I should be ok as I have plastic lenses, and an assortment of various styles of titanium frames and frameless spectacles which are all very lightweight and flexible.
  12. I had Lasik done in 1997. Very good results (88% result in left, 98% in right), which you would think is long enough ago. This is the technique where they slice a flap in the surface of cornea, sculpt the lens, then put the flap back in place . It bonds back together within a few minutes, heals completely in about 24hrs. I could see pretty clearly walking out of the surgery, and it got even better by the next day. Hasn't altered at all since then.
    There are a lot of stories around the industry about things going wrong, but in truth most of them have come from medical tourism where people have gone to Asia to have it done because Australian doctors have told them they are not suitable candidates and refused them treatment here. Or because it was cheaper. Any problems have been immediate or very soon after treatment, rather than long term.
    The company I work for imports the Excimer and Lasik laser machines. The laser technology has remained remarkably similar for 10 years but the software governing it has skyrocketed in sophistication since I had it done. It's safe for the right person. The RAAF just needs to get proper advice.
  13. Thinner weaker frames means the frames are more likely to fracture and have sharp bits, I am not sure if that is good advice.
    I saw thick flat frames to distribute load. (Wrap around sunnies)
    A Few times I have looked at blade type sunnies, but always been put off by the idea of the thin lower edge cutting into my cheek
  14. Then again, thinner doesn't necessary mean weaker.
    I have a number of titanium frames that I can bend the arm 90 degrees with, and it will return to its original rigid structure once I stop applying pressure.
    However, with stainless steel and monkey metal, it might be a considerably larger problem.
  15. 90 degrees without deforming? That is impressive for something other than spring steel.
    Gota love titanium…
    Can you use the high index plastic for your lenses? That alleviates shatter and chipping issues
  16. Well, maybe 75 to 80 degrees :)
    I can't seem to make it bend to 90 now that I'm here at my desk trying!
    I'm already using plastics in my spectacles
  17. i have both contacts and glasses, and have no problems wearing either when on the bike. the glasses frames i use are oakley square wire 2.0 frames, which are hick and strong, with no ear hooks. they fit fine under the helmet, and are sturdy as hell. i think if i had a big off the frames would be more likely to bust up my face than to break.. its just another risk to add to the list when riding IMO.
  18. HAHAH…
    It wasn’t meant to be a challenge…
    Don’t Try this at home kids
  19. I've come off with glasses on.

A good, snug, full-face helmet should keep you pretty ok.
  20. Yup sorry, that's what i was more referring to. Flexi-metal.