Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Premature But It's A Start...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Chubz, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Hello....

I have finally taken the first step and registered. I figure getting my license & a bike has got to be at least a 10 step program :LOL: and registering on Netrider is the 1st.

I am considering doing one of the 3 day courses at MRA Dandenong (cos I've heard they're good) but just gotta ask for any suggestions/comments before I do go...

I've never actually ridden a bike before (well I went for a squirt around a paddock on a 90cc one day but thats it), I've only ever been a pillion.....so is there anything I need to know or do before hand considering I am limited (well pretty reduandant) on experience???

2. just remember to save for safety equipment, not good getting a bike if ya have to skimp on boots, helmet, gloves and jacket.
    Without bagging the lack of information/training from the Vic Schools to much they will teach you i guess a few things, but most of which you will learn once you get a bike
    So good luck.

3. There are courses designed for people with no experience. I did one of those last week(which I think was a waste of time actually). If you have any sort of skill, you will most probably not need 'the first part' and go straight for a course that tests for the Learners at the end. There were 2 people in the course who had not ridden and they both could have easily got their Ls after the first session.

*edit* And I back the call of getting good equipment. Don't budget just for the bike. You need good clothes (helmet, boots, pants, jacket, gloves) to complete a good purcahse :)

4. Thanks Shabby

I've already got the helmet picked out, jacket picked out, pants I'm not sure on at the moment (leathers vs Draggin) so I'm hoping to be able to get $1500-$2000 together for gear.

As for the bike, well thats the scary bit 8-[ I know I can't learn everything before I get the bike but as I'm a virgin to actually riding "a bike" (as opposed to being pillion) I have NO IDEA what to expect/prepare for etc etc

5. Undii,

That sounds like it might be something I should look at doing....

Where was the course? What sort of cost?

6. $1500-$2000 for that range one can get some real snazzy stuff.

The course Undii mentioned Chubz was the 3 day course. The 3 day course is for people who have never been near a bike, good place to start

7. Also one thing, can you ride a push bike? A bike isn't really that much different just gotta remember while the bike keeps in motion, don't try to keep it up with your feet or 'fight it'. You will get taught how to rev to around 3000 RPMS and listen for it so you can change gear (after an hour or two of other basics) without needing to see the rev metre.

A point they pushed was when turning corners, just face your head directly where you want to go, the bike will go towards it naturally. Don't try to look at the lines in the marked area as you will go towards them.

Is there any way you can practice with a friend in a unused carpark or something before hand?

Mind you, all my info is basically what to expect from doing a course to ride, not choosing a bike etc. Just browse the forums here in the relevant parts and you should quickly pick up what other people look for/do in bikes etc.

8. The course I did was http://www.motorcyclemotion.com.au/

1 day is for learning to ride (if you need/want to), one day is for theory side and the other is the for the 3.6ish warm up then 2-3 mins for the L test itself :)

Theres a few places that do courses, depending where you are based can make a big impact on what you choose

9. :LOL:

Yeah I know $1500 - $2000 is a bit to spend isn't it but the helmet I have my heart set on (and have for AGES!!!) is a Shoei replica (can't remember who's replica but it's black with a little skeleton on the back) and is between $800 & $1000, my jacket will be about $400 (want a plain black one) then pants will be between $200 & $500 depending on whether I go leathers or Draggin, and gloves will be $150ish and boots will set me back about $200 - $300 (I think - haven't really priced boots cos when I'm pillion I wear my Doc Martins)

10. :LOL: Yes I can ride a pushy....

I've always wondered how different to a pushy an actual bike was and after being a pillion for a while, it's not too much different but then being a rider & a pillion are different too....

I'd love to go to a carpark or something but all the promises made to me about doing this seem to fall through. And I don't have a bike yet (I'm taking the safe option of now buying until I'm ready to go for a license/gear/etc cos I'll save for all at once)

11. Hi Chubz, I did a 2 day course at HART, had only been on a bike a couple of times and that was about 10 years ago. By the end of the 2 days I was able to ride a bike this is one where test you for your learners on the second day. Seemed enough, I spent heaps of time with Spectre then practicing on the road, even driving to the local new estate while he road then swapping :) Nice safe, quiet environment to practice in.

12. Hi and welcome Chubz.

I think I can safely assume you are melbourne based.

Ten steps you say.....lets see

1. Join netrider (including spending the $5 membership to get discounts from partners)

2. Come into coffee via cage or PT and bug the hell out of everyone for advice on how to go about getting going, you'll get all sort of opinions just need to use your bullshit detector so sort through it all. :D https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4027

3. Go to the Netrider Shopping night to get some great deals on your gear.
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4525

4. Checkout the other netrider partners to see where you can save cash
    https://netrider.net.au/?page=partners

5. Sort out where you are going for training, MTA is a partner and those that go there always seem to have positive things to say about them.
    https://netrider.net.au/linksdir/view.php?cid=14

6. Work out what bike you want, taking into account cost, durability, reliability, personal preference, insurance premiums and colour. (you can check out a few options at coffee on fridays with 40-50 bikes there also sumoto is a good place to go window shopping but probably not the best place to open your wallet to make a purchase)
    http://www.redbook.com.au/Mcycle/default.asp
    https://netrider.net.au/linksdir/view.php?cid=49

7. Sort through all the options on where to get a bike and get it checked out.
    https://netrider.net.au/articles/?page=bikeinspectionchecklist

8. Purchase bike and last of your gear.

9. Do a few short rides around the traps to build up your confidence

10. Ride into Firday night coffee
    ttp://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3553

Seems about right......did I miss anything?...anyone?

13. https://netrider.net.au/?page=membership

Just the above URL, but I think you had just about every other one :)

14. :facepalm: yer I kind of have a reputation for that it seems, but its good to be through; do it once, do it right.

15. Hi Chubz,

I've been thinking about riding a bike for years....I've also enjoyed being pillion several times..........probably you are too. Judging by the way that you've picked your gear already, your mind is pretty much convinced, it's just physically doing it.....human's are naturally resistant, and tentative of the unknown.

I assumed you can drive a manual car, if you can, changing gears is a transferable skill..... :wink:

Expect everyone to oppose to the idea....everyone is mostly those that never ridden a bike, and will never want one. You will also hear of all the horror stories in the world......

However, it's one of those things that you have to shut out all the noise, and just do it!.....So, go and book yourself a Learner course today (I did a one day intensive at Armstrong, in Thomastown).

Everyday that goes past, it's a day you'll missed on riding and improving your skills.....just think back to when you learn how to drive a car.....Riding is a motor skill*.....any skills can be picked up by anyone if they are determined enough. Some do it slower, some do it faster, but there is only way everyone can go......that is to improve......practice is THE key to improvement...(check my first post, that was only 4 months ago)...I've come a long way....

So, Chubz, after all these argy bargy..........I say GO FOR IT!! :wink:

* Motor skill or muscle memory is the layman terms for procedural memory....essentially you learn by doing.

16. I went from driving a car for the last 5 years and never thinking of riding a bike to getting an Opens bike lic in 3 days and riding a motorbike all the time.

A motorbike, at first can be scary in that you simply have no idea of whats going to happen etc, but quickly you learn to get used to what will happen on it.

Things to get used to most of all is throtle control this would be the most important thing and then it's cornering after that, the rest isn't hard by any means.

you'll needa bike to practise throtle control, so either hire something or get someone with a bike or buy one that you would like to ride.

The best way to to check the throtle isn't sticking that is is winding back to closed don't bother with a bike that has asticking throtle as you could end up with problems, in fact a bike with that problem should be looked at and fixed.

When you put your hand on the throtle, keep your hand in line/ flat level to your arm, then wrap your hand around the throtle.

The reason is that if you go to grab a heap of throtle you hand can't open the throtle completely, do this on a bike that isn't turned on and you'll see what I mean.

The above will allow you to ride any bike without opening up the power heaps, I've got a 600cc as a first bike, and yes my bikes has heaps of power but when I started on it I could only get about 1/3rd of the throtle open and this allows you to get used to the power and throtle control.

Next up is cornering.

To turn left you'll push forward on the left handle bar.

To turn right you'll push forward on the right handle bar.

What happens when you push forward on either side the bike falls to the left or the right, and you'll be pushed to the other side of the bike.

So if you push left the bike will fall to the left and your body will fall to the right, you'll never completely fall off because before you ever did the bike is in a lean and your body then becomes weight to press the bike into the ground, this gives more grip as well.

To straighten up again you simply push on the other handle bar, so if your leaning to the left you'll push on the right handle bar and you'll straighten up again.

You don't need to shift or move yourself around on the bike's seat, it's all in the handle bars nothing else will make you lean.

If you do want to shift to the side of the seat that your going to lean into this will make your body a counter lever and push the bike harder into the ground and corner and can make things easier but it's not required though, it can help but do it after your used to the bike and cornering overall.

The best way I found to corner and how to relax and how much to relax was to simply ride striaght down a wide road or car park and keep up right and do 20 to 40kph, and slight turn on the left then straight up again then the right and straight up again.

You'll feel the bike lean/fall over to that side and if you arn't relaxed you'll feel your arms trying to stop the movment of the handle bar.

The biggest thing to do is the relax if you arn't relaxed then you won't corner very well, and if you end up in trouble then you'll find it harder to lean over more if needed.

As someone else said look up through the corner.

also don't cost through acorner, it's bad for the bike, you want a little bit of power going to the back wheel while going through the corner, the power is the same as taking off in 5th gear max.

Once you have alittle bit of power on you slowly ease it up or keep in at the same level, try not to get off the power.

The reason why you should have power on is it raises up the suspension of the bike allowing you to lean over more if required, and in a lot of cases you'll go around a lot better than someone who simply costs around corners.

Before you come up to a corner you'll want to have all your braking and gear shifts done before leaning the bike over.

Never brake or gear shift while going through a corner it's bad and you could end up falling the bike over on it's side, or get the back wheel sliding all over the joint.

The only other thing is to try and do your downshifting at the right RPM for the lower gear it's not good for the engine or the chain or bike if you downshift and it revs right up slowing down, the art is in downshifting without over revving the engine.

If you ever goto a twisty road etc and hear bikes roaring up to a corner then they go quite again thats the person downshifting at the wrong RPM and the quiet is them going around the corner rather than powering around the corner.

It'll take a while to get used to cornering I'm a lot better at cornering now than I was straight after Q-Ride, but I'm still learning it and stuff and as time goes by I'll only get better at it.

17. Thanks everyone for your encouraging msg's.

It may be a little while before I actually get the L's and the bike & gear cos I hafta save up for it. I'm thinking around $7000-8000 should be enough for all my gear and a Baby Blade.

Untame_me, thanks for your msg....Yeah I currently drive a manual car (cage) so I'm hoping the skill of gears will be a smooth transfer....

I've been scanning the forums for a while now pondering whether to take the 1st step (registering) and made the decision yesterday. I've been reading about everyone's horror stories and all the rides that are planned and I get so excited!!! I can't wait until I can join in....there's only a few hurdles to overcome and obstacles to get out of the way first....

I do have one question for everyone - as I am a cage driver currently, how do I promote to riders on the road that I am a considerate cage driver (ie a pre-rider in a cage)? :-k Not one of those idiots that doesn't look out for riders or does their damnest to stop lane splitting or just be plain arrogant....

18. ^^ Possible a car sticker on the back stating you ride motorbikes? That would be enough for me to know the driver would most likely be looking out :)

19. Undii - yeah I'd thought of that but can't find one.

I was querying because not being a "rider" yet I wasn't sure if there was some sort of code or symbol or something that riders look out for....

If anyone knows where to get one or of anything specific that I should be looking out for, pls let me know :D

20. Well a thing years ago a friend (who had ridden since he was 14) said to me was "just to make sure you make eye contact" but you would have to be fairly close to get that happen on the road anyway.

I'll see if I can hunt for a car sticker (if no one says they know of places to source them at) as I want one myself to let other rides know that when I'm in my car, I'm watching out :)