Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pregnant riders?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bikechic72_au, Mar 23, 2008.

1. I am interested to know if there are any women out there who have ridden whilst pregnant.

And to share my story, which i dont think has come up as a subject matter in the past.....i will check that now (after i post, lol!))

I am 6 months pregnant and am still happy to jump on the bike for a blat up the mountain. Im normally a motorcycle courier but have stopped that as i struggle to constantly get on and off the bike but as long as im gunna be on it for a while im ok.
    I still wear my leather jeans, just a piece of elastic to hold them up as theres no way i can do em up!
    My jacket just zips up, i dont think it will in a couple of weeks tho.
    People are very surprised when i jump off the bike and unzip my jacket to reveal a large pregnant belly but until i unzip, nobody even notices. There are the usual ignoramuses who comment on how dangerous it is but most people think its great.
    My doctor told me of a story bout a chick who rocked up to hospital on a harley, came in and had her baby and then rode home with the baby wrapped in a sling and tucked in her jacket!
    Im not that game!
  2. I think it's cool - if you want to do it, more power to you :)

About the only caveat I can see is that rather than risking just your own life (as all of us do when we choose to ride) you are potentially risking a second life at the same time. This will depend on how you define 'life' but I'm not getting into that discussion :)

It's also worth noting that in this situation the father's opinion should be considered just as much as your own - i.e. if you want to ride while pregnant and he doesn't want you to do so, that's a 50-50 split.
  3. ride on, lovely bike lady!
    my wife still comes on the back, and still rides the trailbikes at the farm.
    i reckon it's cool :cool:
  4. I know of a few girls who rode and are riding while pregnant..

no harm done to them or baby
  5. My best friend rode until she couldn't do her draggins up anymore. She probably rode a little more conservatively than usual, but other than that, no difference. She did though get a little annoyed at those who chose to pass comment/judgement, the majority of whom, ironically were men.
  6. Blast from the past, congrats Donna!!!! I hadn't heard you were pregnant.
    I think it's up the individual. You and Mick have been riding long enough to know whats best for bubs. :)
    If you still have the Across, you have a handy place to put bubs for the trip home from the hospital :LOL:
  7. yeah you go girl!
    problem is the kid is gonna have withdrawl symptoms after its born.your gonna have to strap a cradle to the tank and take it for a ride when he/she cant sleep :)
  8. Getting preggers while riding would be better. It's probably achievable.
  9. I rode till 38 weeks with Jack and about 32 with Ruby ( only cause I was too fat by then and it was just too much effort. Just wore (ex) husbands dri rider and my denim maternity overalls. Had a CBX 550 so my belly sat nicely on the tank . It was what I like to call a good "pregnant bike". I wouldnt get on either Gixxer now after 5 months- I wouldnt be able to reach the bars. :LOL: Gyno had no probs with it cause i had always ridden, she just said when youre pregnant best not too take up any new activities- the old ones were just fine. In the early stages I found the bike good for my morning sickness- the fresh air was great and just what I needed. I just had to throw up in the gutter whenever i stopped. I took passengers, rode in the rain and even got a speeding ticket at about 6 months :oops: Those 2 babies of mine are now 17 and 18 in August and I would certainly do it all again. Yes I accepted the risks and did cop a bit of flak ( especially from the cop that booked me) . Funniest thing was going out one night and having a heavily pregnant ,smoking, bourbon drinking female tell me how disgusting I was for riding the bike and that I may damage my baby. :shock: . Ah the irony.
    Each to her own, you know when its comfy and right and when its not.
  10. I take my children on the bike, so if I thought it was overly dangerous I would not - so the same would apply to a pregnant woman, in my opinion. re 'risking another's life' we do that all the time, even when taking the kids in the car.

I expect that there is a period, late in the pregnancy where it probably would not be a good idea to ride, given at 1) you are getting tired easily 2) you're not as flexible etc and 3) you don't want to accidentally bring labour on (some things can, and I expect riding could well be one of these things, hitting bumps etc .... possibly).

In other words, ride until you have medical advice to the contrary.
  11. Just because they differ in their opinion doesn't make them ignorant. The fact of the matter is that it is more dangerous for the fetus as even a simple accident, like a lowside which a person may easily walk away from, can cause undue complications or even death to both you and the fetus ('baby'). The position of the tank just infront of the stomach can't be a good thing and can certainly cannot be compared with a car drive.

There is no denying the well substantiated fact that it is riskier to ride bikes than drive cars.

Somewhat related: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=773765#773765
  12. I was told that as soon as we know I'm pregnant I'm not allowed to ride :shock: I negotiated...as long as I fit into my leathers, then I'm allowed to ride. Boys have this funny idea that the vibrations and noise will affect the baby. Inside the belly is the safest place for baby to be!
  13. yeah......

back on to the OP
    I say go for it
    I drove road trains right up until I was 7 months preggy with my first born
    stopped then because I could no longer fit behind the wheel

my mum rode horses and bikes on the family cattle station right up until she could no longer get onto either easily when preggy with all us kids

women from the bush do it all the time. So go for it
    you are the ONLY one qualified to say if you should do it or not, you know your own body and your body will tell you if its not comfortable when your doing these activities.
    and ultimately its you who lives with it if things go pear shaped.

But considering you can have an accident in the car and like me loosing one pregnancy due to the seat belt tightening, being pregnant comes with all sorts of risks no matter what you do.

Laughed myself silly at your experience Kate

14. fair call. but there is NO evidence to suggest that an impact from a bike accident, compared to a car accident is more detrimental to the unborn baby. no seatbelts on bikes :!:
    very noble of you to be devils advocate, but your facts are irrelevant.
  15. My wife rode for a while while she was pregnant. She's probably have ridden longer but she ended up spending most of her pregnancy in hospital seriously ill.
  16. Be that as it may, I have no doubt that people would not feel the obligation to point out the dangers if she were not pregnant. There are few things which shit me more than the view that, once a woman becomes pregnant, all of society gains an interest in her and her baby, and thereby becomes entitled to poke and prod, offer unhelpful advice, or dictate to her what she can and cannot do, as though it is some sort of communal pregnancy and joint endeavour.
  17. Just a point to note; i was just responding to the OP in regards to how she worded - perhaps unintentionally - the opinions that were contrary to hers. Ultimately, I believe its her body and her right to put it thru what she wants - and examples dont make a lick of difference to the validity of an act. There are plenty of examples of ladies taking maternity leave from simple desk jobs during pregnancies and just as many examples of those who have continued on with their drug addictions thruout their pregnancy - neither example 'validates' their actions.

Joel, My response was a simple & logical look at what would happen in the event of even a minor accident on a motorbike as opposed to a car. According to research, seatbelts, if worn correctly are known to protect and reduce injury to both woman and unborn baby. Belts usually put more pressure on the upper body than the stomach area in accidents.

The same cannot be said about bikes, I've almost been winded and crushed my family jewels in the past due only to extremely heavy braking! Thats considering i'm still rubber down, as opposed to smashing onto the road/light pole/car/gutter - all relevant facts of motorcycle accidents that car occupants usually don't face. Since its so much more riskier, that inherently makes riding bikes more 'detrimental'(read:dangerous) to the unborn baby.

My intention wasn't to be the devils advocate at all, but to simply voice the well thought of reasons for those socalled 'ignoramuses' who advise against riding bikes for pregnant ladies only because they care. Personally, I'd only advise those who'd ask or those that are very close to me.
    Although I totally agree with momo about the 'communal pregnancy' point - we shouldn't frown upon a certain level of advise as inexperienced mothers sometimes take actions without knowing any better. Heck, if we all had to re-invent the wheel every single time, life would be a little more difficult :)!
  18. Very true, but non pregnant people don't feel compelled to sue all and sundry when they do something stupid that leads to a miscarriage or stillborn foetus, whilst doing something that was an obvious risk to the foetus. BUT SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE WARNED ME/LABELLED SOMETHING!

Regards, Andrew.
  19. That's more a problem in the states than here. Witness the shitty situation Troy Critchley now finds himself in - sued because race/drag organisers were incompetent and failed in even the most basic forms of race safety. Not to mention the fools who thought it would be OK to stand 15 feet from a drag strip during a run. Unfortunately some of those people dragged their kids into the same position.
  20. I'm just seeking a little clarification on this - so you're saying that you believe women in desk jobs are not warrantted in taking maternity leave?