Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pre Vic Election Speed Camera Infringements

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Eddo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Gidday all

This morning I was discussing the Vic election result with a guy at work who manages our 700 plus vehicle fleet. He mentioned that there had been a huge reduction in the number of speed camera infringements being sent into the office over the last 4 weeks and his theory is that a large number of cameras were inactive/switched off in the lead up to the election. Normally he would receive up to 20 infringement notices a day and the volume over the last 4 weeks dropped back to around 5 per day. It will be interesting to see if the number of infringements received suddenly increases again. I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories but these stats have got me thinking that if this has any basis then if government is instructing the police to back of on fines as a vote catching excercise its a very unethical practice.

2. I don't think it particularly qualifies as a conspiracy theory. Government traditionally tell the police force to get more cars out on the road leading up to an election. The theory is when people feel secure they are more likely to favour the incumbent.

So I don't think it's a big stretch to have them back off on speeding fines at the same time.

3. If it means they were worried about a backlash, I don't see that as a bad thing...

4. Eddo, please follow up on this in a months time. I'm intrigued!

5. Things that make you go:

Hmmmmmmm ....

KN

6. I'm only posting this because I want a notification.

Peace out!

7. Maybe they were being held back so as not to anger the drivers prior to the election and will turn up in the next couple of weeks.

8. =D> well spotted.

Let us know what happens!

Could be that it just so happens the speed cameras have a 4 year maintainence cycle o_O :D

9. hang out to here the answer

10. Will do...I'll follow it up again in a couple of weeks I'm intrigued as well

11. Just looking at the wider picture, a bit of media speculation today about the future of the VP top brass now that Brumby is out. Some comment that Overland and his Deputies (Ken was mentioned) have been seen to be a little too close to their former political masters...

12. Yes and I really hope we see the last of these 2 brown nosing twonks.

13. Just remember if the existing guys go they will be replaced with someone more acceptable to the new Government. This may not necessarily be a great thing given some of the Lib policies.

Time will tell however.

Meanwhile the MRA ought to be seeking to start dialogue with the new Government and start educating them to our concerns.

14.  Top
  15. It's not unusual for chief commissioners to be pressured to leave roughly coinciding with a change of government, but it would be unusual for a deputy to be moved on. Still he could be passed over and pressured to leave if the government was so inclined.

16. maybe he can try out for any new series of underbelly due to non coverage in the original one?

17. Noel where are you?
    All is forgiven, I know it was just a political witch-hunt by those commo bastards.
    Give me a call and we'll talk about some job openings happening in the near future.
    Love Ted.

The more things change, the more they remain the same ](*,)

18. Correct - internal appointment. But a lot of discussion has been about how many of the top cops have become political players allied to one side or the other, and how the lines between 'law', 'policy' and 'policing' are being blurred.

No-one gets one of the top jobs unless they are approved by the minister's office, and no-one gets approved unless they are seen to be an ally. They are never openly members of either party. That's the way it has been for a while now. It's not supposed to be.

It's not restricted to the police, either. The whole upper public service is politicised, and more so in the last decade than ever.

For the outgoing government, this has mostly been about trying to break down the old inner circle of police power that wasn't very supportive of them (in fact it was outright hostile). They replaced it with their own people, with mixed results. Very little of this action was about roads policy.

I don't think KL is necessarily in the firing line, but his prospects of moving up will depend upon how the Coalition view him (and what their real policy agenda is).