Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

pre-purchase inspecton by mechanic in melbourne

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by Thejosharcanum, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I have done a search on this topic and found that there only seems to be one place in vic that does pre-purchase checks on bikes - Rolling Motorbike Repairs. I just wanted to know if anyone has used this service and how they have rated it? I have just got my learners and am looking at buying either an "Aus spec" cbr250rr or a zxr250c. I've learned a lot about these bike from this forum and am aware of the potential pitfalls of buying what a lot of people would describe as "old and overpriced" LAMs bikes, but after sitting on a couple I have found them to be suitable for me and my budget of $4000.

I have read the guide to buying second hand motorbikes - that was great, but i think i would really feel more confident if a professional had a look at the bike i wanted to buy.

So has anyone used this service and was it good?

Thanks guys.
  2. Welcome to the forum mate.

I had a mate use these company a few years ago and I think it cost him a couple of hundred bucks to get a full report done on the bike. I looked over the report and found it to be pretty comprehensive but in all honesty, I think you can save some cash and just find someone that knows bikes off the forum to help you out - at the end of the day that is what this forum is for, to connect riders and exchange information.

Like any pre-purchase inspections, you can only pretty much do visual inspections of all bike components and take the bike for a test ride to see how the engine runs. You should be able to do the Vicroads rego/VIN check yourself to see if the bike has been a repairable write-off and to make sure the model/VIN numbers match up.

I have owned a couple of CBR250's so I know them pretty well and am more than happy to help you out if needed. Send me a PM if you want to take me up on my offer.

Nice work on getting your learners and you are about to embark on an awesome honeymoon journey with getting your first bike....................a journey and love affair that will last a long time......................

3. Nearly four years ago I got Brett Harrington to do a pre-purchase inspection on a bike which saved me from buying a poorly maintained grey import. The inspection was worth every dollar I paid for it. He used to be head mechanic at a Honda dealership before leaving to run his own workshop, MadBiker, in Ferntree Gully. Details here. I take my bike to him for major repairs and can highly recommend his services.
  4. +1 for Brett
  5. Another +1 for Brett; he checked out my bike, and bikes for another couple of mates. Very thorough, professional, and a good bloke to boot.
  6. Thanks heaps for the tips guys!

I looked at 5 today, which was a mission in itself. one was in really good condition compared to the others, I will have it checked out for sure. i'll hit Brett up tomorrow!
  7. Thanks heaps for the offer too mate, as it turns out a guy at my GF's work had one and is coming with me to have a look today. If I need another one looked at i might take you up on your very generous offer, thereby spreading the favors i need to call in around a bit :)
  8. + 1 for Brett

He did an inspection on my first 250 back in 2006. I go to him for servicing of all my bikes, the 250, the 600RR, then 1000RR and now the 675...