Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pre MotoGP ride

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by heffa, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Every year, when down at the island for MotoGP, my mates and I discuss how next year we're gonna take a bit of time off work and do a few days riding on the way to Phillip Island.

So, this year its happening! We all got the week off work, and have spent some time with Google Maps and a Riders Guide to Australia book, and have worked out the this route.

It covers a lot of recommended roads, and allows a leisurely pace to stop and relax. Then on the Thursday, we will meet up with the Barry Sheene ride, and head down to the island.

Already planning next years route :p

2. i would head straight from Running Creek to Mt beauty, the other section is all fairly straight, nice counrty side but not many twisties

3. Agree with you, the Kiewa Valley is pretty but too straight to be entertaining.
    After that though, the Tawonga Gap between Mt Beauty and Bright, then up the Alpine Way from Harrietsville to Mount Hotham have to be the best two stretches of road in the country, certainly my favourites!

4. I'd have to agree with stewy. If you want a long day riding visit Falls Creek instead of Tangambalanga.

5. Get road conditions over Hotham before you leave. Last weekends snowdump changed everything. If you're lucky it'll be melted by then.

6. The extra bit up through Kiewa is so that we can do the Gundowring rd. Looking through the Rider Guide book we have, it recommends the Reefton spur, the Mansfield-Whitfield rd, the Hotham rd and the Gundowring rd. We already had the others on our route, so we decided to tack this one on, see how it goes.

Yeah, this has concerned us a bit. If it goes badly, we may have a problem. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions if there is snow? Maybe the Omeo Hwy out thru Mitta Mitta? Would need to be something that avoids long stretches of dirt road.

7. yes from memory it's listed as redbank road, (if it is) then i ride it almost every long weekend for the last 2 years, and it's got a couple of fun bits (right near the Mt beauty end of it) but i don't reckon it worth riding the whole stretch unless you are heading north and then it's really only something different to get you off the hwy...it's pretty but boring, like i said in my first post :wink:

the mitta mitta road is sandy dirt

8. Doh!!

Fingers crossed its nothing more than rain on Hotham then

9. There will be snow on Mt Hotham, but the road will be clear of snow, and it is one hell of a ride, you will love it, watch the cop at Mt Hotham, he gets you through the buildings and sits on the right hand side of the road going towards Bright,
    Watch out for black ice between Mt Hotham and Bright in the shady spots that dont have sun on them,
    It just looks like water on the road.
    Cheers,
    Brian.

10. Dude!!! Nice pics!
    When were they taken?

11. May this year, 2009 It snowed about Two weels before the snow season started, We stayed at Ensay, and only went up to see where the road was closed as the two blokes I was riding with have never been on that road, the road was open so we went all the way over the top of Mt Hotham.
    GAR is one hell of a road, been over it four times this year,
    Then back through Whitfield.
    Cheers,
    Brian.

12. Ok, not sure about this, but I've been told that the Hotham road is closed to motorbike due to ice. They are not being allowed past the toll booths.
    Cant anyone confirm?
    Is it likely to change?

13. I'm unsure as well.

The web cam of Mt Hotham carpark does not look good. the forecast for the next few days is as follows:

Any later news most welcome as we are passing through there on Wed morning,

Forecast for Sunday

Sunny. Winds north to northwesterly averaging 15 to 25 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around minus 1 with daytime temperatures reaching around 12.
    Mount Buller
    Mostly sunny.
    Min
    Max
    Mount Hotham
    Sunny.
    Min
    Max
    Falls Creek
    Sunny.
    Min
    Max
    Forecast for Monday

Cloudy. Isolated showers developing during the morning. Winds north to northwesterly averaging 30 to 40 km/h, reaching 50 km/h at times, increasing to up to 60 km/h during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to around 3 with daytime temperatures reaching between 10 and 15.
    Mount Buller
    Shower or two then windy.
    Min
    Max
    Mount Hotham
    Windy and shower or two.
    Min
    Max
    Falls Creek
    Windy and shower or two.
    Min
    Max