Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pre-load - ZZR 250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by V8cressida, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Any one played around with the pre load settings on the zzr ? My bike is in a million bits at the moment (I just cant leave well enough alone). Giving the little putt putt new sprokets and chain and new tyres while i'm at it.

As the shocky assembly is now out of the bike I have the option to change the pre load it is currently set at 2 out of 5 (1 being soft 5 being hard). According to the manual 2 is the setting for the average 68kg rider. As I am 85kg without bike gear I was wondering if 3 or 4 would be worth a go.

2. Its no use playing with the preload settings whilst you got the bike in pieces,
    Thats something to tinker with once its all back together and your riding again.
    Preload / rebound is a personal preference, what works for one might not work for you, the best thing to do is go out on a well known stretch of rd and ride it all day ( say a 5k section ) but every 3rd run change your settings, best to write down the setting for each run.
    Then at the end of a few hrs you'll say wow that 3rd or 8th ? mix of settings worked really well, reset to those and then you have the bike setup for YOUR style of riding.

I have the VTR perminatly set up for hard 'play' riding but have THREE different settings for the FJR ( one for city, one for 'playing' and yet another for when im twoup )

Hope this helps you out alittle
    :)

3. only problem is bob, to change preload you MUST pull shock spring assembly out of the bike and hold it in a vice. Then with a "special " tool change the preload. Takes about 15 mins to pull out etc and three bolts to re-torque. I suppose they aren't built for speed/ sports riding so there is no real need for quick easy adjustments

4. Ok so yours is one of the 1% of bikes that this cant be adjusted while still in the bike ?? Im going to look at one today and check to see, but I know I adjusted Emjays for her and im damn sure i didn't take it out..... i may have taken side covers off to get at the adjuster but , remove the shock ? im sure i would recall doing that :)

But in the mean time have you got the manual for yours ?
    if not ............ ( be warned its a 27meg download )

http://www.eightballmedia.com.au/zzr250/ZZ-R250 service manual supplement.rar

and to open it ........

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

5. yep got both of the manuals.....little one tells me to send it to an kawasaki dealer to change pre load.....the larger workshop supplement manual talks about removing from bike...putting in a vice etc.......etc.

6. preload was done on my zzr without removing shocker assy. :grin: