Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pre-Learner, Non Driver

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Biers, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Hi everyone *newbie wave*

I'm doing the pre-learners course at the end of the month. I've never driven a car before, but I know how to ride a bicycle. Should I prepare for the course before hand - and if yes, what do you recommend?

Also, I'm kind of short (5'2), should I call the training centre and ask them to prepare a bike for shorties?

2. You will be fine, Pre-learner training starts very slow with basics of controls and stuff so don't worry about that.

You should also be fine for bikes, i think most training centers will have CB250's which will be right for you.

I also suggest watching some "how to ride motorcycle" vids on youtube.
  3. LizzyM is well under 5'2 and manages a CB250, so if they have them you should be fine. I'd let the centre know though just in case they have a rash of shorties on the day.

Most pre-learner courses assume no prior knowledge so again you should be fine.
  4. Im 5 foot 1 inch and I contacted the training centre especially about the height issue just to make sure they had a small enough bike for me when I was learning. I found the 250 bikes they had were all low enough anyway (Honda CB250 and Honda Rebel). They will start you off from scratch so I wouldnt worry about the lack of experience.
  5. I wouldn't worry too much about the size of bikes. 5'2" is by no means far outside the range of "typical" students that would sign up to have a go on learner bikes.

If anything, try to do some reading on how clutch & gearshifting works before you go in. Majority of people will have done that on cars, and if you go into a class without a clue of how clutch/shifting works, you might have to play a little catch-up compared to rest of the class.
  6. Thanks for the replies.

Yep, I checked out one vid on YouTube and it was the gear-shifting which lost me. I'll study up on that before I go.

I'm going to the HART course in St Ives, so I bet they'll have a bike which is short enough for me. Still, I'll be safe and just call up to warn them before I go.

Will report back afterwards to say whether or not I passed!
  7. practice riding the pushie very slowly, looking ahead, and looking where you want to go. gears are easy. its the vision stuff thats hard.
  8. When you do pass, please be so careful on the road, It will be twice has challenging if you have never driven either. That being said, you should be fine!
  9. When I was doing my HART learner course at Kilsyth (VIC) last week, they taught you everything you'd need to know - even how to put on your helmet properly! I went from never having riden a motorbike in my life, to hooning around at 40=kph and slamming on the brakes for emergency stops. They were wonderful, thorough and made everything seem that much less intimidating.

The only thing you may want to do is look into getting your car L's because it makes the licensing on the day a lot easier (for instance, all 11 of us on the course just put our existing car license details down instead of sitting 1-2 extra road law and hazard perception tests). I'm not sure how it differs in NSW though. :)