Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pragmatic And Practical Rear Brake Usage

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by devnull, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Pragmatic And Practical Rear Brake Usage

What Is The Subject - As readers of English, most of you will realize that this thread is dedicated to the usage of the rear brake: This device comes fitted, usually at no extra charge, to almost all currently manufactured motorcycles. As of the typing of these words, there there are no known countries or states in which the use of this device is banned, by either law, nor indeed convention. You can therefore operate this device without fear of persecution by any legal entity through out our round, or more accurately, spherical world.
    Bearing these points in mind, please feel free to add your practical experience on how you use your rear braking device on a daily basis. A description of the execution and the rational of said maneuver should be provided for the edification of interested Netrider members, who may wish to broaden their motorcycling technique r'epertoire.

What Is Not The Subject - I do not wish to hear about, in no particular order:

1. I do not want to hear the sad story of your late Uncle Guido. How he was cut down in the prime of his youth, when his Kawasaki H1 exploded into a fiery ball while he attempted to do a rear brake "Skid" at 76Kph, and how your Father will remove you from his will if mention of the use of rear brakes is ever made again.

2. I do not want to hear how you "was learned" to disconnect your rear brake at an "Advanced Sk00L" training class, which was designed for the lowest common denominator in order to reduce their insurance premiums with lower levels of potential death and destruction amongst their all too impressionable patrons.

3. I do not want to hear that "I know more noob!" because Keith Code, his very self, used his own personal carbon fibre E-Meter to measure your Midi-Chlorian levels, and after weighing your wallet, pronounced that you too could reach Operating Thetan III for the small consideration of a paltry $5999.

If any of the above points, in any way, tempts you to mash keys with unbounded vitriol, please create a separate thread dedicated to such. Some suggested titles might be, "devull has lice and smells too!", or perhaps, "my rear brake murdered my grandma!". Within these threads you can list all of the Hollywood celebrities who have died in rear brake incidents. You could chant the Surgeon Generals warning regarding rear brake exposures connection to testicular cancer. You can also list all of the dozens of your friends who have destroyed their lives through rear brake usage. You might even discover new friends who also have Steve Brouggy on speed dial?

Do not attempt the use of unattributed citations from supposed self appointed experts to impose your opinion upon other reseponders within this thread, this exercise is to be based purely within your own experiences. If any attempt to commit Argumentum Ad Verecundiam is made, I have prepared written statements from the previous twenty-two World Champions in both MotoGP and FIM500 confirming their regular, and in some cases ongoing, usage of the rear brake. Some of these testimonies were admittedly gained through use of a Ouiji Board, but never the less they would be admitted accurate and admissible in court.

And so, without further ado, I would like to thank the small, but industrious and hard working Japanese men and women who designed, manufactured and mounted this wonderfully useful and well built device, known as the rear brake! As well my thanks to all those noisy Italian people, who work just as hard within their caves, creating artfully made pieces of wonder. They are a pleasure to use!
    I'm am not sure though, whether to include the Korean manufacturers, though they too work hard: I am led to believe rear brakes of Korean origin are designed to be purely ornamental, and serve no practical function? Of the British, well we all know that though rear brakes are mounted, they are in fact actually only real ones which have been hollowed out. *

* I have it on good authority that this is in point of fact, not actually true. British rear brakes function entirely as per normal. Upon considering this, I have decided to add this information here as a footnote, as the phrase, "only real ones which have been hollowed out." is simply too fcuking funny.

A List Of The Pragmatic And Practical Uses Of Rear Brakes

1. It reduces your velocity.

2. Traction control.

3. Wheelie control.

4. High and low speed stabilization.

These I would posit as the initial basic categories of rear brake usage. As, or indeed if, this thread progresses, we may create addendum's or adjuncts to this list of categories. Most, if not all of these techniques, are well within the skill level of a competent rider of one or two years experience. If you have sufficient motor neuron control to allow the touching of the nose with one or more of your digits, without causing damage to yourself or your loved ones, you should safely survive quite robust usage of your rear brake. The only major caveat which should be taken into consideration, would be motorcycles of the two-stroke variety, or motorcycles of very low capacity. These types of engines have a much greater propensity to allow the rear brake to cause a complete loss of rotative motion in the rear wheel due to very low levels of back torque. Please use your discretion, especially when on an unfamiliar motorcycle! On a larger capacity, multi-cylinder motorcycle, it is very difficult to induce so called "Rear Wheel Lock" without the use of the clutch do disengage the engine entirely, or not having ingested a form of psychotropic drug which may lead the muscular fitting.

It reduces your velocity - This category is relatively self explanatory. But within this category, you have an infinite variety of variation. Ranging from simple braking in conjunction with your front brake, to the finer demands of trail braking into corners and emergency braking. When braking from very high speed, a light dab of rear brake usage before bringing the front brakes into play will bring the bike into perfect line with the front wheel, as well as beginning the compression of the front forks. This helps the transition to full braking, stabilizing the bike. Many people, upon hearing of my penchant for trail braking as an everyday method of deceleration during cornering, have been driven to exclaim, "WTF, you is dum dude, why?!?!". To which I reply, "Cause I fcuking love riding!!!". Generally at this point fingers are pointed, voices raised, prophecies are rendered, after which I go riding. Trail braking teaches you to love life, you can feel the road gripping the bike, you watch the road surface for every little ripple and chink, and control your traction with the brakes all the way to the tip in point. You can go right to the edge, and past, feeling the drift re-grip just as I lay it down. Thank god for riding, and bless her womanly hips for birthing this beautiful method of locomotion.

Traction control - Manys the time you many exit a low or mid speed corner, only to exclaim, "Mother fcuker! Where's my traction gone!", as your acceleration is reduced due to excessive power which in turn overwhelms the tractive ability of your geometry and rear tyre. During moments such as these, a modicum of controlled pressure applied to the rear brake pedal will help modulate these forces, thereby allowing the greater part of your accelerative forces to be utilized. On some occasions though, it can be more efficacious to allow a well controlled amount of wheel-spin to effect what is commonly know as the "Power-slide". This maneuver contributes extra centripetal force during acceleration, so allowing your turn rate to be maintained while simultaneously accelerating. The rear brake may still continue to be used to modulate your power output during this maneuver, and may very well prevent another commonly know, though less endearing maneuver, known as the "High-side".

Wheelie control - The "Wheelie" is a popular method for the demonstration of skill and superiority to your fellows, and as a proxy for sexual ability in attempts to attract the opposite gender. This appears to hold true in the majority of cases, though many times I have been left to wonder at which sex the persons involved were attempting to attract. The rear brake is again of primary importance during this maneuver, and it is said that Max Biaggi has a particular fondness for one rear brake pedal removed from his YZR500, which he has had gold plated and mounted on the door of his water closet. Apparently the mere sight of said gold plated pedal allows him an extremely rapid and free movement of the bowels. The usage of the rear brake allows the rider here to control any injudicious use of the throttle while in the midst of performing a "Wheelie", thereby returning the front wheel to Terra Firma without the attendant embarrassment which may otherwise occur.

High and low speed stabilization - The very act of activating the rear brake can alter the geometry of your motorcycle. Which judicious use, this can be put to your advantage. Lightly trailing the rear brake through a high speed sweeping turn gives the rear wheel a small amount of drag, which in turn causes the rear wheel to hold itself better in line with the motorcycles overall velocity vector. It also has the added effect of reducing front fork trail by slightly compressing the forks, and so temporarily increasing the ease with which you can initiate the application of centripetal force via the motorcycles clip-ons which are provided for the riders comfort during such maneuvers. A similar effect comes into force during lower speeds whilst attempting to turn, as well as the smoothing of the drive train and throttle lag. The application of a light dragging force through the rear brake whilst making a "U-Turn" can in many cases make this maneuver quite simple.

So there you have it! These are but a small sample of the amazing and thrilling maneuvers to which the rear brake can be of inestimable help. I look forward to hear from all of you who have overcome your fears regarding this indispensable device know as the rear brake, and to be regaled with stories of derth and daring!

And as a final note, "fcuk I Love Riding!!!".
  2. Excellent, dev! Nice good read for me to wrap up my day at work with :LOL:
  3. My uncle Guido murdered my grandma while she was on the golden rear brake in the water closet.

Excellent article!
  4. Before you all brake :)rofl:) into spontaneous applause, may I suggest you read robsalvv's excellent treatise on the same subject https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31182&start=0 ?

Theer are also a couple of good threads on trail braking too; with all its faults, 'search' is still your friend.....
  5. Who could be bothered adding to this?
  6. Really?

The rear brake eh?

Never use it much. :LOL:
  7. I'll be nit-picky, only to be a pain in the arse. Centripital force has nothing to do with the clip-ons when steering.

Centripital force, as any physics student knows, is the force required to keep some non-zero amount of mass accelerating in a circular motion.

Edit: Oh - and I assure you that the rear brake on the Triumph actually does work, and is not hollowed out. :wink:
  8. This is my pragmatic use of rear brake:
    * I use the rear brake in slow manouvers against feathered clutch and some substantial throttle.
    * I use the rear brake in conjunction with the front in emergency braking or heavy braking manouvers.
    * I set up the rear brake to turn the brake light on to warn tail gaters.
    * I often drag the rear brake when coasting up to a stop.
    * I've used the rear to bring crap wheelies back down.
    * I used to use rear brake on my old GPX250 when going into corners to help squat the bike and tighten the suspension... but after a level 1 CSBS, I never felt the need to cover up my bad cornering technique with rear brake again.

Sorry Devnull, but directing folks not to reference expert knowledge is dangerous. So I'm braking (ha ha, pun intended) your OP guideline. Rear brake is discussed on motorcycle forums ad infinitum including lots of example of crashes, great claims and badly understood physics. Noobs/newbs/riders alike are well encouraged to spend some time on at least www.superbikeschool.com and their associated forums and also www.msgroup.org and their riding articles.

On the topic of motogp riders, Mick Doohan pioneered rear brake out of corners to control wheel spin, this is true. After 1993 he had a thumb brake and was able to use rear in ways current riders couldn't due to logistics. If he used any rear on the way in to a corner, it was to get a slide initiated. I will publically apologise if there is a quote on record anywhere where he discusses using rear brake to tighten a line without any slide or to hold his bikes line through a corner without any wheel spin.
  9. Rob, sometimes mate, we need to put the rear brake upon your good self.
    Bloody hard too.
  10. Pragmatically too.
  11. This thread will turn to poo in 5..4..3..2..1..

(By the way Rob, I do agree with your theories on this..)
  12. Rob, I believe that your back wheel is locked.
  13. Fine Rog.

I'll leave it to others to correct the clangers.
  14. This will turn to merde. Just watch.
  15. lol that was huge :p
  16. I did a nice little slide in the Nasho a couple of weeks ago. Used my back brake for it.

I may have been going a bit too fast...
  17. Heh, Protestants and Catholics at their most extreme have nothing on rear-brakers and non-rear-brakers....

Now where's that chapter of Swift on the war between the BigEndians and LittleEndians?
  18. For the record, I enjoyed Devnull's piece of prose. He should consider writing a rider's adventures blog... Still, can't say I agreed with everything in it though...

...yikes, hope it's not that extreme...
  19. It's possible I was using a soupcon of hyperbole for effect ;)