Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Practising noob.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Praz, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    Did a search but couldn't mind much definative so thought i would ask.

So the story goes, about 2 weeks ago I came off my bike and it wouldn't start.I needed a new battery, old one had no acid :p completley unrelated to the crash but got the bike started on sunday.

I went for a ride yesterday and was feeling very uneasy on the road.
    Nothing felt natural and I freaked when I saw cars. Obviously i need to start over on this bike which is a 4cyl rather than the twin i learnt on.

I live in a hilly area with alot of twisties, it is residental so speed never exceeds 60. There are stop signs and intersections all over and road condition would probably be 6/10 in most places.

So could anyone reccomend..
    How often should i get on the bike to practise?
    How long should i train for in one go?
    What kind of manouvers should I learn?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Praz
  2. Just get out there as much as you can mate, you'll get the feel in no time.

If you can find a nice big empty carpark, work on real slow figure 8's and tight circles, as well as anything you can remember from the last riding cousrse you took - that'll get your chops up.

Speaking of which, you sound like a good candidate for one of those HART courses or similar, they give you a lot to think about and a lot to practice, and they're a bundle of fun.
  3. It can take a while to get back into the swing of things after an off.

I had an off just over a year ago where the front end slid out from under me under braking. Once back on the bike it took a few months to re-gain confidence in the front end, and that was riding every day.

Get out on the bike as much as possible. Time and practise is probably all you need. Any and all practise is good. Even just standard riding to and from the local shops.
  4. Good advice above. Don't worry about being nervous at first. I had a pretty nasty 'off' a couple of years ago, and even though I have been riding since 1968 I was still nervous and unsure when I got back on a bike. It's just natural. So, as others have said. Ride as much as you can, but don't force yourself to ride if it just doesn't feel right, or the weather is bad, or the traffic particularly heavy, or whatever. Don't put yourself under more pressure than you already have. Pretty soon you'll realise that, hey, I'm really enjoying this again!