Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

practice or not?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by HeavyNinja, Mar 19, 2016.

1. So I have my bike now and I am in a dilemma. I want to practice the basics (clutch control, braking etc) I live at the end of a very quiet culdesac that is S shaped and a roundabout. My dilemma is the fact I am not permitted on the road without someone who has ridden for 4+ years, but the likely hood of a police car coming down here is about as much as being struck by lightning. Given the quietness of the street and the fact at most I will do 20kph, do you reckon I should practice quietly or resist that urge? I have absolutely no intention of riding around the city alone, just quietly practicing in street.

2. Why do you care what we think? Some are going o say go for it and others will say you will be caught and locked away for decades. At the end of the day it is your decision and you are only soliciting opinions not advice.

However there is a Mentoring thread where people can ask for help. Don't seem to have anyone listed from your state, but give it a go as you may get someone who is willing to help you with much more than just riding in a cul de sac. Just put up a post asking for a mentor and see if you get a response.

Might be just easier to move states though.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hahahahaha yeah, moving states could help. I actually have a family member here who is more than happy to go on rides with me, he is going to take me on the open roads etc to boost ride exp at speed and riding hours. just said to have a few lessons and get confident with the bike first.
  4. I found it harder to negotiate courts and roundabouts when I first started then I did on the open road! Still, I say go for it! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. There is no chance of me practicing for now. I got bike out to go over parts, where the oil filter is, sump plug etc. I do my cars oil changes so will do the bikes also. My driveway is about 5-6 car lengths long, so put it in first and started moving (no stall except when I was learning where the clutch bit) then realised I was about to go on road, no helmet etc and so backed the bike back down the driveway into the shed and called it a morning. Got a lesson today so will see how brave I feel after that lol. Obviously if I make the decision to practice I will wear my gear.