Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Practice before Pre-Learners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by KazTastic, Feb 22, 2016.

1. So I went down to Stay Upright today to do my pre-learners, but got sent home because I was having trouble coordinating the clutch, throttle, and brake when launching from a standstill - to be fair, it takes a little bit longer for me to learn sometimes.

While they booked me in for a 1-on-1 session tomorrow, I have to wait until April to go for the pre-learner again.

Do you guys think it's worth it to go for some extra 1-on-1 sessions between now and then? Who do you guys recommend? Would riding the pushie help too?

Thank You
  2. Yes. And pushie riding - only from a balance perspective as you don't have to use clutch/throttle/brake combo there.

You really need an afternoon in a parking lot with a bike that you can just sit on, get used to the feeling, get relaxed. Then just get used to the feeling of pulling clutch in, popping in gear, and slowly releasing until you feel the bike start to ""go". Then repeat x 100. Then practice slow pull off, repeat x 100, etc. Once you are used to that feeling this will be a piece of piss, but I'm guessing that a few stalls is making you super tense and it all goes downhill from there.
  3. It was the opposite way around - I was having more trouble finding the friction point, so I'd find myself revving up the bike and it wouldn't move.

Of course, I was in a class full of people who had been riding dirt bikes since childhood, so the teacher was pacing everything to their level.
  4. do you happen to drive a manual car?
  5. Yes I do
  6. next time you go for a drive, really think what you are doing with the clutch and accelerator . it's probably all muscle memory now but if you concentrate on the accelerator / clutch interaction and then try to apply this to a bike, it should help you.
  7. I had a bit of a drive in the car tonight, but it feels completely different to the bike - in the car (2008 Mazda2), the friction point is fairly close to the floor, where on the bike (Honda CB125e supplied by SU), the clutch has to almost be fully disengaged by the time it reaches friction point. Maybe it just feels different because I'm using my hand rather than my foot. At least I've got a 1-on-1 remedial session tomorrow.
  8. My advice may not be worth as much as others since only been riding for 6 mos on road but ridden offroad for a year before going on road but, what i do when riding someone elses bike, (or manual car) for the first time is finding the friction point first without throttle (or gas for cars). Do it a couple of times until i develop muscle memory. After im comftable with that then i start adding throttle.. Made it easier for me.. Hope it does for you too.
  9. #9 Dime, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    I used a rather unorthodox method to prepare my muscle memory. I rigged up a joystick and throttle so that it resembled the clutch and throttle, and basically practiced the movements. I guess it worked because I had no dramas taking off or changing gears I just sat I front of a YouTube video explaining the whole process. I think the video was from a guy called huskerzgbr, or something. Even just pretending to have the clutch lever in your left hand and twist throttle in your right would help, and doing the actions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Practice and relax KazTasticKazTastic - that's all you need. You understand the friction point, so it's just a case of getting used to it. And different bikes have different clutches, so you'll need to get used to any one you ride.

Relax, practice, repeat....
  11. So I went and did the training this afternoon. I think I've mastered the controls.

Now I just need to loosen up and relax, especially while turning. Perhaps that's where the pushie comes in...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Your always going to be nervous in the start, deep breath, shake out your hands and you'll be right.

Look where you want to go and not at the controls, have fun you'll be terrorising the steets in no time.
  13. When you get your own bike you'll be able to move the friction point a little bit (or maybe a lot on some bikes). I had trouble with my clutch control until I changed the slack so that the friction point was at a more closed grip. Every-time the mechanic serviced it he changed it back! Probably has something to do with how big your hands are...