Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Powered bicycles - anyone done one? Tricks / Tips

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Put the legislative stuff to one side - all I'm interested in is in finding out who has motorised their bicycle and what learnings they had in the process. No seriously, put the legislative stuff aside.

Anyway, I found a whole website and forum devoted to home made mopeds! (Is there nothing on the net you can't find?) But it's always worth chatting closer to home. So who's done it?? Who's added a donk to their treadly?

I'm looking at motorising a mountain bike for long commutes and some fun... it'll supplement my (unpowered) road bicycle which I'll use for fitness and close commuting...

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's dropped in a 2stroke engine and their tricks, tips, refueling logistics etc etc. But experience with electrified conversions would be good too.

Oh, and you're already too late if you want to hang some shit about blousing up, whimping out by adding a motor... lol... it's too late. Thankyou - you know who you are. :)

2. Well, you've probably already noticed that 200W (at the wheel) is the maximum power permitted for an electric-assist bicycle before it's (to sum up) illegal. I forget what the limit is for internal combustion.

200W sounds pathetic but it's actually on par with what most casual cyclists would generate with their legs (I worked out that I was sustaining around 240W continuously, years ago when I rode 20km/day).

Other than that, dunno.

Hub motors are good! Efficient but expensive.

A motor controller is a good idea. I remember reading a University of Queensland mech-eng lecturer's article on building an electric-assisted mountainbike with a 600W handheld drill motor and a crude on/off switch. On one ride, the inductance of the motor welded the contacts shut when he went to switch it off. Hilarity ensued. :p

I've on-and-off thought about doing motor assist, but I've always balked at the thought of having to bear all that extra weight on the bike.
  3. Right, so the legislative stuff is out of the way with the first post LMAO. :grin:

I've looked into some hub inductance systems... and they look very very tidy... but most don't come with batteries! A decent battery set costs as much as the hub conversion kit. I also know that they have limited endurance... but they are quiet and don't attract attention... :-k

Rear wheel hub conversions are recommended but front wheel ones are easier to do...
  4. This is what you want :shock: :grin:
  5. Hey rob,
    Just curious if u could put a link to the website. I am also a little intrested.
  6. I did a little investigation into electric power assisted bikes for someone a little while back, and the hub motors looked like the best way of keeping the bike rideable while assisting. Because it is all sorted on the front wheel you can easily return the bike to being a real bike again as required.
  7. Thanks Spot for being my foil... no offense intended :)

http://www.motoredbikes.com/ ...Everything for the motorising bike enthusiast...

LMAO at jet engine powered treadlies... why?? :LOL:
  8. I think why not is a more appropriate question!

BTW Have you lost your license Rob? :LOL:
  9. Would that be funny? :roll:

Talk about farting in a packed elevator.
  10. A mate of mine has recently motorised his treadly, with a 450-odd W four stroke motor. He has used it regularly to commute, past cops etc. with not a raised eyebrow. Bought locally. I'll see if I can get some details when he gets back from a trip.
    I think it may have been around the $400 mark. fixed on a rack above the rear wheel, but I'm not sure about the power transfer.
  11. Simply meant that usually, this is the reason the question is asked, no offence intended.

I have seen whipper snipper motors mounted directly over the back wheel with a drive wheel attached, but it 's usually a very crude system & usually very noisy. The auto clutch is handy though.
  12. There's a dude on ebay selling that arrangement. 4 stroke would be quieter than 2... but also heavier :-k

Wonder whether you could modify the engine mounts to include mounting for cycling panniers... :-k

I'd be interested to hear more about your mate's bike Titus :)

MV - if I have to explain the point of ettiquette you just transgressed, then reevaluate your riding passion and empathy gene. Thanks. Let's move on.
  13. I had to walk (cough cough) for 6 months 2 years ago.
  14. Too late :?

It's never too late, Ya big GIRL!!! :p

15. Dude, that's basically what I'm looking at... any lessons/learnings to pass on?

Triway :p
  16. Lots of lessons learned.

1.When hurtling round a track with your mates, you must realise that you are approaching the tabletop at roughly twice the speed as normal MTB, ouch.

2.At around 70km/hr, the shimano cassette on the rear usually spins a bearing, snapping the bike chain.

3. The inside of your knees tend to look like the grill on a BBQ after awhile.

All up the motor cost me 220 as a kit.
    I had twin wall alloy rear wheel made with 50% thicker S/S spokes, as the sprocket for the motor would warp the shape of the rim with the extra torque.
    Due to the design, only a front disc brake will work, or just make sure that brakes are good to start off with. I never had issues with pulling up in time and I had normal clamp style brakes front and rear. I also changed the brake rubbers to something much softer and carried spares with me.
  17. I know you said you didn't want to get into the legislative issues Rob, but there is a point to bear in mind when doing your risk management.

The 200W figure is in place at a Federal level as being the point above which a vehicle becomes a motor vehicle. it applies to both electric and IC power.

Consequently, anything over 200W needs to comply with the appropriate ADRs (in this case, those applying to a moped) and, more importantly for your own situation, the operator needs a valid licence.

I'm aware that there are an awful lot of modified pushies running around without problems that aren't even within a cooee of 200W. Good luck to 'em I say. But my point is that if you got pulled up for it, there'd be "operating a motor vehicle whilst under suspension" type consequences.

Worth considering, particularly as the cop who got you might be bearing a bit of a grudge for being made to look a bit of a dick over his speed estimation.

Good luck, whatever you might decide.