Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

power cruising,cant help rolling the throttle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Guest, Dec 18, 2005.

1. does any one else have trouble sticking to 100ks,it seems to slow i think the new limit should be a comfortable 160ks.a mate of mine calls it power cruising,the name just sounds right

2. mark there's a nice policeman just waiting round the corner, and he'll convince you that power cruising might be good in theory, but not in practice.....

For lots of reasons, you need to learn to control your right hand.
  3. I have heard mark has lots of trouble controlling his right hand ....both on and off the bike :LOL: .... was a top ride on saturday mark I had a blast, how did the video evidence turn out ?
  4. Yes its very tempting, but not as tempting as keeping my licence.. :D
  5. Yep its been diagnosed as a disease which many suffer from with the highs and fun coming from it :D and the lows of BUGGER ITS A RADAR :( but until the licence fairy comes to get you have fun :LOL:
  6. this is where bike riders talk isnt it,its not the christian motorcycle web site or the we love the law and all things police,people we ride high powered bikes they are meant to be riden and riden hard and fats and if you are watching your speedo then you need to buy a scooter
  7. Generally, I like to fly under the radar.
    But increasingly, I find myself attending track days at the Island, Broadford and Winton; where there is a degree to which you can ride as fast as your mind will allow.
  8. ok everyone looking at this message tomorrow when you jump on your bike and ride down your street open the throttle get the feeling for it again then go somewhere you always see cops and speed then come bak on tomorrow nite and tell me how you all felt ,you may just enjoy it
  9. When I was on my restrictions and riding my little baby blade every day, I was so paranoid about speeding it was painful. Mind you, cruising comfortably at 100 kmh required 5th gear and all the vibration made it feel quite fast enough.

On the R6 it's very different: 100 really feels very slow because it’s so effortless - we all know a spirited take off from the lights will have the rev limiter pinging at over that in first gear. The road rules aren't designed for sports bikes, they can't be because they have to cover the mean skill level of all road users.

I get a kick from acceleration, and a kick from fast corners, and a kick from 200+ kmh. Faster is simply better, and that will cost me my license eventually.

There's not really any way around it, other than not buying sports bikes in the first place. In a school zone where the speed limit is 40 (which I'm careful to pay attention to) the bike coughs and surges because it's not designed to run at those speeds for any length of time. The only solution I can see is to take up racing, or get track time in on a fairly regular basis, or a bike with a completely different focus.

It's not just a matter of getting the right hand under control; it's a matter of kicking the addiction to speed. I think that will be a lot harder.
  10. If 400cc engined sport-bikes were offered as a serious bike class here in Australia, they'd make a whole lot more sense in Australian road-law conditions.

Imagine something like an R6 or GSXR600 body + suspension, slightly trimmed down, with a 400cc motor. A nice, light 150kg bike (dry), with ~75-80hp, good suspension, and with enough grunt to not be "weak" off the lights or in roll-on throttle response, and enough power to not be struggling in the usual 80-140kph back-road play-grounds, and yet not so much engine that tooling around town is a lesson in frustration.

Advances in engine technology means we're seeing current 600cc bikes that are putting out power levels reserved for open-class bikes of 15 years ago. Today's "middle-weights" are yesterday's "750-1000cc open-class".

Not saying that a 400cc sport-bike class would be everyone's cup of tea at all, but it does seem like it would make a whole lot of sense given what you're describing.

[Edit: Yes - I know that there are 400cc grey imports, but they are all from Japan, and almost all are limited to 50-55hp, and most have fairly basic suspension. I mean a local properly supported de-restricted 400cc sport-bike class]
  11. I first "jumped on a motor bike" because it was cheap.

Alot of people don't mind "crawl(ing) down the road it". I think its more fun and skillfull to be fast in the corners, which you can do more safely and only marginally above the limit.

We don't all ride high powered bikes... we don't all want to.

If you can't ride the bike comfortably then its probally too fast and too powerfull for you. I'm not saying you can't handle it, what I mean is you need to be able to enjoy what you ride within reasonable safety margins.
  12. you need a smaller bike if you want to keep your licence. sounds and feels fast but you hardly break the limit! :LOL: :LOL:
  13. Even on a 250 staying under the limit can be painful, but for me personally losing my licence due to speeding would cost me my job. So I'm forced to obey the rules. Take offs on a 250 don't exactly give you an adrenalin rush either, so my one and only escape is hitting the corners nice and fast.
  14. dont be a retard.. you're just giving bikers a bad name, including me, and i've got 20 more years of riding then you to put up with it
  15. mark I'd be hoping the local constabulary in Coffs don't log onto Netrider. The rest of your drivel I wouldn't even dignify with a response.....
  16. Yeah Mark, stop openly discussing the passion of riding. Ya gotta be sensible man!

17. Look ya twerp, everyone loves to speed. It's great fun and the naughtiness adds a thrill as well, as you point out.

Anyone can do it on a straight road though. If you want to test yourself and make your eyes pop out and have little worry turds falling out the leg of your leathers, get out on a racetrack and see if you can REALLY ride that thing.

Let us know how ya go. Twonker!
  18. And perhaps you could try hanging out in a Hospital Emergency ward so you can find out why high speeds on public roads isn't always such a great idea. If your bike is too fast for public roads then take it to the track or downgrade to something smaller - like a 2-stroke 125.
  19. Get a 2 stroke 125, you can make any speed fun if you find the right powerband :D
  20. well thank you for your opinions they are all highly valued and who knows i may even adopt some of your ideas and become a more sensible rider(but probably not)