Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Power Commander Map Suggestions CBR1000rr

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Arik, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have recently bought a 2004 CBR1000rr, Micron race pipe, unifilter filter, and a PCIIIUSB

Bike is getting pretty bad fuel economy - 12ks per litre, 160ks till reserve (which is 14 litres) The Power commander is running a 'custom map' - I suspect for maximum power - which needless to say I really don't need.

So... I decided to muck about with the Power commander to see what effect it has on economy - wouldn't mind a bit more range!

I downloaded a few maps from the power commander website - the 'stock' map for the bike, a 'micron pipe, stock or aftermarket filter' map.

eyeballing the Bike's custom map with the two other maps, the fuelling table looks higher across the board on the custom map than on the ones I downloaded.

I loaded the "Micron pipe with Stock or Aftermarket Filter" map into the bike and had a quick blat tonight to see the 'seat of pants" difference - seemed to be a little less perky and responsive, so basically still powerful but less whooaaa nelly, if you get my drift.

Any suggestions on maps or would the map I loaded up off the website be the best overall?
  2. Get it too a dyno shop and have the map matched to your bike. They can make a perfect fit and produce some different ones for you to fit the riding you wanting. Eg. one for track, road, touring etc.
  3. I figured that was the best thing - but in the meantime, are powercommander maps from the website generally OK?

Bear in mind, I'm not a 'performance guru' - I'd rather be able to use a bit more of the rev range. best fit without having to bugger around would be OK!
  4. the sooner you get it don the sooner you use less fuel

make sure you tell them exactly what you expect from the bike and they will map it accordingly
  5. It's counter intuitive, but running leaner doesn't mean you burn less fuel.

Basically if the air:fuel ratio is not ideal then you need to use more throttle and that burns more fuel. Sure rich is harder on fuel than lean, but it's still worse than ideal.

The most fuel efficient bike is the one with the ideal air:fuel ratio, which is by default the one that make the most power.
  6. hmm not quite

peak power comes at slightly rich

have seen bikes with a PCIII be dialed in for peak power and they chew fuel , get them tuned for torque and ridability and they dont have the Peak HP but they are a shitload better to ride and easy on the fuel
  7. Yeah there might be some anomaly to do with temperature and idiosyncrasies of individual bikes along with ignition curves, but power and torque are integrally linked by engine speed, so getting the best torque profile should translate to the best power profile.
  8. Peak power has to be 'rich' becasue at high air velocities (i.e. piston speeds), the fuel will drop out of the air/fuel emulsion and will hit the inlet tract walls. It also aids cylinder cooling, but this is really a side effect.

If this didn't occur then then stoichiometric would provide the highest peak power.

Yes, moving the peak torque down lower in the rev range will give this effect at the expense of peak power.
  9. so....

Are stock power-commander maps for the bike going to be a workable solution in the short term?
  10. In the interest of their customer base they would hope that the maps from their site won't blow your bike up...
  11. Actually, I would have hoped for a bit more. I would have expected they put more development time and effort into these maps than your average tuner would given a bike and an hour or so to program a custom map ...

I wouldn't have thought there would be much variability in engines in bikes of the same year, make model etc, so the 'rigi-dij' maps from the manufacturer would be pretty close to optimal

Looks like I'm wrong though.
  12. No one map will suit bikes with the same mods in different parts of the world.

Different atmospheric pressure, different fuels, variables in engine production (yes, two standard bikes can make different power). Variables in pipes/exhausts since that map was uploaded onto their site, variables in filter maunfacture, etc...

I reckon the site maps would be a good start; I know I wouldn't be satisfied until the bike had seen the dyno though.

I presume the site maps would err on the side of being too rich as a precaution against lawsuits if someone's engine inadvertently blows when they download the wrong map.... we're talking about the majority of customers being from the US.

There really is no substitute for getting it dynoed and mapped correctly in my mind.
  13. I just dynoed my 07 RR at Dynoverks in Boronia.
    Originally I had tried several maps but had settled on a bit of a cross-bread, since it felt reasonable.
    However I had a severe stuttering between 2 and 3K, which was annoying in traffic.

Dynoverks, sorted it out. Stuttering is largely diminished, the bike is smoother, and more "tractable", and they found me another 3HP...(Now 151rwhp).

Not much use having goodies on your bike if you are'nt making the most of them, and that's what a custom map for your own bike will do for you, provided you go to a good place.

14. Maximum fuel, all of the time. And, futhermore... replace that pesky twisty thing on the right bar with a simple 'On' 'Off' swith :roll: :p