Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

powder coating the frame

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by tmg, Nov 19, 2006.

1. When I finish the engine for my bike I am stripping the bike down and am going to get the Frame, Lower Front Fork housings, Rear Swingarm and Centre Stand sand blasted and powder coated.

I haven't rung around any places yet to get prices, but thought I'd ask here as well so I could see if anyone else has done this to their bike. Is it really worth going to this length or should I just sand it back myself and tackle it with enamel spray cans?

My dad has Acrylic Laquer tints and I can get base coat from an auto shop and he could spray it, but I wanna get it done all right the first time, hence the desire to get it powder coated. That plus it will be a lot more resiliant to weathering.
  2. Simply sanding back and repainting may produce a good finish, but it is unlikely to last for long especially if it's been sanded back to bare metal in places and not properly cleaned/prepared. Commercial powder coating places however put all the parts through the full cycle of cleaning, derusting and acid-bathing to ensure the metal is in perfect condition before the coating is applied. This plus the fact that a powder coat is tougher and can be applied thicker than paint means it's definately a good option if you're after longevity. It's not something I'd recommend for alloy components since the process can weaken the metal, but steel is fine.
  3. tmg -

Definitely go for powder coating. It's less hassle, I've always found it to be reasonably priced, the finish looks better and it's far more resilient. It's also great motivation - you get the frame and bits back from the coaters and go....WOW! Now I'm gonna make the rest of the bike look this good!

4. Guess that settles it then :grin:, Thanks for the help guys! :)

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I was gonna mention I wanted to get powder coated before - THE WHEELS! Is that a good idea to get them coated too? they're a little rough around the edges as well.
  5. Are the wheels alloy? The problem with powder coating alloy is that if it's an age hardened type (which is likely) then the heat from powder coating can cause it to over-age which will reduce the strength and fatigue life of the metal. How much it weakens it (or if it weakens it at all) will depend on what temperature is used and how long it's baked for - so if you do decide to go ahead and powder coat try and find somewhere that's using a low oven temp and/or bake time.
  6. I got a frame powder coated once and wasn't entirely impressed by it. The problem is the powder is just dispersed around the object being coated, then just relies on electrical charge to attach to the surface. So it doesn't really get into all the nooks and crannies.

And yeah get your wheels anodised, if you like the finish. It will give you a better bead area.

There is a thing called e-coat, which is really thin and hard. The problem is I think you can only get it in black. You can also get a black zinc as well as a silver zinc, which doesn't look too bad.
  7. Yeah I am getting all the parts powder coated in black, just so they don't JUMP out at you when you look at the bike.

If I can't get the wheels powder coated I'll just ride the bike to my dads and stay there over night and paint the wheels there. I'm not too fussed about the wheels really, they're in pretty good nick for there age, and even if I can paint them myself that'll make things easier on the hip pocket.
  8. OK, complete change over here. Took the frame to a different place today, which is in Marcoola and took the frame, centre and side stands, Rear Swing Arm and Steering Head to get blasted and powder coated.

It is safe to get the steering head powder coated right? I asked how hot they bake the items and the owner said about 180 degrees or somethin near that.

is that ok for aluminium?
  9. Dam double post.
  10. Hard to say for certain without knowing the alloy and it's current state of heat treatment. I know Al 356 is commonly used for cast car wheels and it's aged at around 170 degrees for 11 hours (T5 or T6 treatment). So the powder coating is definately hot enough but if the time is short then the reduction in strength shouldn't be that significant (probably no more than 1% or so). Fatigue life however will also be reduced but I've no idea by how much. Given the wheels were most likely over-engineered to a fair degree powder coating may be perfectly safe, there's just no way to know for certain without testing. I have heard of powder coated car rims failing but then these were also being subjected to stresses which the wheels weren't designed to take, so they may have failed anyway.