Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Postie LAM in NSW?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wertberger, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Well my conundrum is that I fell in love with riding Stepthrough Hondas in asia (my bike) and want to ride one here. Honda CT110 Posties being the closest thing and with me being in NSW what are Posties classified as by the NSW RTA?

They have an auto clutch so does that make them a scooter?

Are they Learner Legal (LAM)?

And if I complete my learner/provisional tests using a Postie will I have a Scooter or a Motorcycle Licence?

If anyone in NSW can help me with this problem it would be much appreciated.
  2. RTA classifies them as a motorcycle, as they do not have CVT (fully automatic) transimission, just the auto clutch.

You can't ride one on the NSW scooter licence- you will have a full motorcycle licence if you do your test on a postie bike.

No, they are too powerfull for a learner to handle :wink:
  3. There is a scooter license, it's similar to the set up for having a manual/automatic license for cars. If you do your test on a scooter then you cannot ride a manual bike for 12 months.
  4. Hey mate,

Straight from the link you provided:

Eligible Motorcycles in the category 0-260ml.
    All models with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprila RS250

A 110 Honda is less then 260ml.
  5. Re: Thanks

Yeah they are:
    The CT110 is under 260cc and isn't listed as an exception - therefore it is learner legal (be a weird system if it wasn't).
    Edit: lol I see Geckoe beat me too it.
  6. They are not listed as they are under 250cc. Look right at the top of the list, it says something to the effect of all 0-250cc bikes are eligble, with the exception of... and then lists about 6 bikes. As the CT110 isnt on that list it is therefore quite learner legal.
  7. It's like there's an echo in here! :)
  8. There is no such thing as scooter licence. There is only one type of rider's licence in NSW. But it can be with or without "automatic" condition.
  9. ... which is a scooter licence, since you'll find it impossible to find an automatic bike.

Automatic bike licence= only riding scooters

Automatic bikes have existed (CB400, Guzzi's etc...), but you'll never find one for sale.