Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

postie bike indicator troubles

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by teamhamsandwich, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here so go easy on me.

Bought a postie bike the other day with a slight problem. If I turn the indicators on when idling the dont flash (just a solid light) and there is no sound from the little speaker thing. When I rev it, it performs fine. Any ideas?

Im thinking its either the alternator, battery, bad earthing, anything else?

2. Start with the battery, check voltage while off, then check voltage while idling, then while revving. If you don't have a multimeter, head down to tricky d1cky & pick up a digital one for ~$20. Very handy.

Should be 12.5 Volts or so when off, Plus ~ 1.5Volts (maybe more) when idling, & should go up a little more when you rev (sounds like it is anyway).

Suspect battery, if it is below 12.5 Volts, get a new one. If the voltage doesn't rise or drops when idling, could be alternator.

Check your volts & get back to us.
  3. I had the same problem with my CB250 when I replaced the indicators.

Turned out I had the wrong globes.

Put some new ones in with more resistance and BAM, worked a charm :)
  4. could be the clicker thingy that makes it flash. i dont know how to check that thing, anyone else know?
  5. Not too sure. When my brother was helping me troubleshoot the problem, he just went over it with a multimeter, cutting the indicator itself out of the equation.
  6. Sounds like what happened when my blinker relay was on its way out. Cost me about $18 to replace it, fixed everything. Is it getting progressively worse? If it is, get a mechanic to check your blinker relay.
  7. +1

yes thats what they are called, blinker relays!
  8. What model is your postie? If it's an early one it will be a 6 volt system, so halve all of the recommended voltages above. My old postie had a similar problem, in that it worked normally until it reached high revs, then it would flash so fast, all that was missing was a mirrored ball. Turned out to be a dodgy rectifier.