Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Post your battlestations/Computer desk

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kryt, Aug 21, 2010.

1. well as thread says post your setups! lol

2. i'll post a pic of mine when i can find it under all the clutter.........
    EDIT: you can have the clutter too.
    specs: it used to be an acer aspire sa90 but i messed with the insides.
    now it's got
    gigabyte G31-ES2L motherboard
    pentium dualcore E6300 2.66ghz
    2x1gb kingston hypermax ddr2 ram (complete with pretty blue aluminium heatsinks)
    maxtor 120gb main hdd
    samsung 1tb secondary hdd
    buffalo 500gb external hdd
    TDK 2.1 speakers
    microshit wireless kb/mouse
    and some photos blu-tacked to the screen for inspiration
  3. lol i just cleaned up my room and thought better saviour this moment
  4. I'll take a pic soon.. if I can be bothered, but for now a stock image will do.

HP Pavillion Dv7-2206tx (reaaaally hate HP now, so this will be my last time dealing with them ever)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2.66Ghz x2
    4096Mb RAM @ 1333Mhz - 2 x 2Gb Dual channel
    1024Mb ATI Radeon HD4650
    640Gb Hdd @ 7200rpm - 2 x 320Gb drives
    1600x900 17.3" some kinda glossy whatever thing
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit - its 64bit capable, but I don't want to reinstall everything

Basically.. its not 'amazing' but I am yet to find a game that will not work at near maximum graphics settings.

And as well as that I have 2 crappy 17" 1280x1024px monitors which I can plug in to get a 3 screen setup (too much effort, rarely bother) and its permanently connected via bluetooth to a car head unit and 2 6x9 8-way car speakers (adapted with a 12V powerpack to plug into an AC socket)
    Fairly soon I'll be adding an amp and 12" subwoofer purely for the wankfactor

So yeah.. thats my setup
    and yes I play games with a touchpad too. It freaks people out, but after several years straight with only laptops I can't comfortably use a mouse anymore.
  5. Im not really a geek... despite some evidence to the contrary following..

The first pic is my missus' desk. She usually has her laptop on there but since she is away ive let the bike gear build up on there some :D.
    She has a laptop same as mine... and likes her chair despite being offered a nice one like me :p.

Second pic is my desk with all my junk.
    Since specs have been started ill go nuts...

Laptops are HP Pavilion dv5-1009tx's.
    Anyone curious enough about specs can click this LINK.
    Yes, that is my missus in her swimsuit barely visible on the screen of mine :p. goz im looking at you...

My desktop specs are:
    Win7 x64
    Lian Li PC-A10B Case
    Core i7 920
    12gb 1600mhz DDR3
    2x 1538mb GTX480
    2x 1kw Coolermaster Powersupplies
    Forget which Gigabyte motherboard off the top....
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro
    22" BenQ Screen (cbf turning it around to find model). Was running dual screens but my old boys old CRT died... so he has temporarily inherited one.
    150gb Velociraptor system drive
    2x striped 500gb seagate barracuda drives
    Speakers are Logitech Z5500D's and headphones are Razer Barracuda HP-1's
    Keyboard is a Logitech G11, mouse is a Logitech G5 Laser
    Joytoy(stick)... other assorted fluff stuff that doesnt really bear mentioning... (ok eg razer mantis mouse mat, logitech quickcam webcam... stuff like that).

Despite having a hell of a gaming machine... im not much of a gamer :p.
    Its my making up for not having a PS3 or an XBOX 360 or anything like that... if i want a game, my PC can run it, simple :).

My server (edit 2: and media centre) which hides under the missus' desk specs are... (used mostly for holding my music and things like my unofficial tivo record to it, etc). edit 1: does all my emailing and... well.. web hosting too :p. Also provides an easy way for missus + me to communicate when im away with work.
    Server 2008 R2 x64
    Asus crappy case
    some gigabyte POS board... with an extra sata raid controller forget details and am lazy...
    e6400 conroe core 2 duo
    4gb 667mhz DDR2
    256mb elcheap Nvidia (its an 8xxx series... forget what)
    74gb WD Raptor system drive
    2x mirrored 1tb seagate drives (for my really important stuff + backups)
    3x 2tb WD Enterprise Drives (for my stuff i can live without if any drives die :p)
    1x External 250gb drive (backups of backups)
    No screen, kb, mouse etc. Just power and network ;).

Attached Files:

6. Could post pics, but do not have the time.
    Have lost internet connection to the lap tops in the house, since a good friend "blue toothed" the house so, I could print out, and do all sorts of other fancy stuff etc, to the main pc.
    The good friend has gone to Scotland.
    Live in a 3 storey place.
    Level 3 has my own personal lap top.
    Level 2 has a lap top which has all the road race stuff on it and I take to r/r meetings.
    Level 1 has main PC, printer, fax,wireless modem, telephone system etc.
    What I am doing now, is running around with a message stick and transferring data from lap tops to main PC, then transferring stuff back by message stick. This is fraught with peril.
    Am with Telstra, but they say, they do not support blue tooth help.
    Anyone got any ideas how I can restore the internet to all of the house and manage this blue tooth stuff?
  7. Im guessing its all wireless? *reads again* ok yes it is. Disable bluetooth :p.
    They run on the same frequencies so would be interfering with each other, like having a cordless phone next to your wireless router... wireless will always die in the ass.

Dual channel wireless stuff (runs on dedicated freqs (about 5.8ghz i think) rather then 2.4ghz stuff like all existing wireless, bluetooth, cordless phones, etcetcetc) isnt affected by phones or bluetooth, but means a full upgrade of hardware, usually not possible in a laptop either.

edit: Only other real options if you MUST use the bluetooth along with your wireless network is to hardwire (cable) your network, or even get the power line ethernet running (costs ~$100 per computer).
    edit 2: should be able to share the printer without needing bluetooth, and connect through the main PC. That would need it to be always turned on though when you want to print. Other option is to buy a network printer that you can plug in to your wireless router with a cable, and then print to it anytime.
  8. I'll play....

Main workstation is:
    Windows 7 32
    Quad Core, Q6600 2.4MHz running at 3.2MHz.
    2GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM running at 1600MHz...
    NVidia 8800 GT 1GB
    Dell 2407WFP
    A heap of HDs.
    Wacom 18x12
    Logitech DiNovo Edge
    Logitech MX Revolution Mouse
    Logitech Z2300 speakers
    Epson R2400 A3+ printer

A Media Center
    Windows 7 32
    Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2MHz
    2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    A couple of TB HD space.
    An IBM Thinkpad T61
    An old P4 2.8 HP box soon to run Windows Small Business Server 2008
  9. It hasn't been that long since I finished this, and despite the 5h 1t everywhere, I'm a happy with it

The desk is actually two Victorian Ash building beams, joined and sanded/filled/varnished etc etc. It has Vic Ash skirting board prepped the same way and screwed onto the front

It's just over 600mm deep and around 4000 long, mounted to the house frame on all three edges. Next project is something to put the printer on which will also support the middle (before it sags)

Mick G

10. sorry for the bad pics, shoddy fone

unknown specs... umm

27" imac

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

just use it for browsing the net, but not so much anymore since getting the ipad LOL

hardware not pictured.... im not telling but quite a bit

for games see corner of pic 60" 1080P for PS3, i only play console games, none on the computer
  11. Nice to see I am not the only mac user,pretty much internet and Photoshop lightroom etc (also have a old workstation for business stuff eg myob etc and a laptop for location shoots.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB (ram)
    canon 9500 mark 2 printer
  12. I <3 these threads.

Mine, as of right now:

Larger version

The rig itself is killer.

Proc: i7 860 @ 2.80GHz native running on intels P55 chipset
    Memory: 8GB DDR 3 RAM
    Graphics: GeForce 9800GTX+
    Sound: Creative x-Fi Fatality
    Storage: 1x Intel 80GB SSD for primary OS
    2x Western Digital 750GB Caviar, in RAID 1 for storage etc
    1x Misc. branded HDD for alternate OS
  13. 2008 Unibody Macbook 2.0Ghz Core2 Duo
    4Gb RAM
    320GB 7200rpm HDD
    24inch LED Cinema Display
    Aluminium BT Keyboard
    Magic Mouse
    Ipod 3G

Attached Files:

14. Geez some of you dudes are neat and tidy.

15. nice chair bonk.

and some nice rigs there guys.
  16. hahaha goz are you for real?

i do all my stuff on my laptop on my bed. people want a pic? :-s
  17. man i need to get a desk
  18. not mine, but I aspire to it's greatness