Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Post Break-In...Now what?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by OldSport, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Just got my bike back from the 1000km service.

Can I ride my motorcycle up to 10k-12k rpms now and such?

If not, what is the recommended/safe rpms when I shift my gears?

Thank you for any info, I'm a real noob with bikes as it is my first serious motorcycle.
  2. Full throttle buddy, have fun
  3. Usually while a motor is new and tight, keeping it lightly loaded is more important than what specific maximum rpm's you run to. Use your gearbox, select the appropriate gear for the desired road speed and load (hills) to keep the forward momentum and rpm's reasonable ensuring that you do not allow the engine to labour ..

A 'general' rule of thumb is that an engine will be nicely settled, 'run in', able to sustain higher rpm use and delivering all its available power by about 3500-5000km. By then the gearbox should be freeing up nicely as well, with gear changes becoming smoother or less 'notchy' than when it was new.

The owners manual is where you 'should' find that info.
    If you didn't get one, they can be downloaded from the kawasaki australia website (free) What little info is in it, is on pg 63

4. Ride it like you hate it, it'll pay dividends in the long run.
    Bike engines live to rev.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ride it like its a loan bike from Peter Stevens. :D :rofl:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. i dont think babying a new engine is good, but dont thrash the shits out of it while its cold.

run it until its well an truly warmed up....then give it some stick
  7. You could've gone to 12,000 after 50kms if you want. Bike will run fine
  8. Ride it like you stole it.

Failing that, I presume it's a new bike and therefore you'll have an owners manual. What does it recommend you do? Often the manufacturers recommendation is the best 'fall back' position.
  9. many of the bits in the drive train are still learning to play together and it may still feel a bit stiff. I just gradually push into it and the revs at which it feels stiff get higher and higher. do it properly and its silky smooth all the way up. but I suspect as a new rider you're not going that hard anyway.
  10. Feel free to just ride it. Don't thrash the thing...but don't baby it either.
  11. I don't believe in the "ride it like you stole it" approach to running in anything, not just bikes. Just follow what the owner's manual say (after all people who have built the bike know it better than your average rider) and be a bit reasonable beyond the 1000km mark - even if you don't have to - up until, say 2500-3500 kms. After that you'll have plenty of opportunities to "ride it like you stole it"!
  12. I must also mention here that the max rpms specified by manufacturers for running in periods are reasonably high in most of the cases anyway, so just follow what the manual says as yopu wouldn't feel the need to bounce it off the limiter under normal conditions, unless you're participating in MotoGP or something.
  13. Running is is a bit of an old concept now. After the first 20km you ride (and not even that), engines are run in.
    The tolerances out of the factory are so tight now (at least any jap factory) that there is no running in and virtually no 'tightness' anyway.
    Manufacturers put "ride it soft" as a legal throwback to 30 years ago rather than for any engineering reason.
    Feel free to ride it like normal out of the showroom. Wanna give it a thrashing. Go for it.
  14. BUT good idea to dump the original oil asap - under 1st 100km if possible - and refill with regular mineral - based motorcycle oil (eg not semi synthetic ) . Personally I wouldn't switch to semi synthetic til at least 2-3000km .

15. Manufacturer's usually spec at 1000km.

It has become so unnecessary that many modern vehicles don't change the oil until the first 15,000km service interval is up.

When you have lasers that cut components and moulds which are to win a micron, you really don't have break in. In the 70s, yes. Now, no.
  16. Yes , true , but for my piece of mind I'd still be doing it . I did multiple oil changes in the 1st 1000km when I had my blade , and you could see the metallic contamination in the oil . After each change the bike would feel freer and smoother . Not saying I'm right and you're wrong .