Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Post 2014 Ninja 1000 to replace a Bandit

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bravus, Aug 28, 2016.

1. I'd been drooling over ZX14Rs, but being a little more realistic in terms of both budget and what I actually do, I think maybe the Ninja 1000 might be a great option for me.

(I will, finally, finally, be upgrading from my beloved Bandit early next year, when I get paid for a chunk of work I'll be doing between now and then.)

The seating position seems great for what I do, and though it's about 1040 cc rather than the 1200 of the Bandit, it's about 140 hp versus of the 100 for the Bandit. Bandit's max torque is about 84 Nm at 4500 rpm, Ninja's is about 75 at 7500, so I'd definitely need to change a few habits around grunting around on torque alone, but it's far from weak and is a pretty flat curve.

One review I read showed that it actually has more power and torque, by a decent margin, than the ZX10R pretty much all across the rev range except above about 10k revs.

Another suggested that switching from a 190 to a 180 rear tyre significantly improves the handling.

There were some pretty solid changes in 2014, so I'd go that age or younger... and there's not a huge amount between new on special and a couple of years old.

I know there are a few people here riding them: any comments? Most user reviews I see are pretty happy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. so you went shopping for your daughter
    gets you thinking doesnt it
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Actually, bought a new one for my wife, passed on her old one to my daughter.

And yeah, given my wife is currently studying rather than working, so I'm bringing the money in, and I'm currently on a 17 year old bike and she's on a brand new one, I'm thinkin' a bit... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. yeah
    same with Angie
    but she helped me get over the line on the RSV4 factory last year
    so im not really in a position to start demanding new bikes
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Awesome bike mate, u can't go wrong
  6. So what do you wanna know???
    First up this
    is not true, try 110Nm @7500.

Suspension is very good on these bikes. The shock has a remote preload adjuster which makes life super easy when pillioning or loaded to the brim for a multi day tour. Front forks have preload, compression and rebound adjustment. In regard to your tyre comment, 190 to 180, Ive not heard anyone or read anyone do that. The more common change is to go from a 50 series tyre to a 55, helps the bike turn in much better.

Engines a cracker, loads of torque and enough power to keep the supersports honest. Its got a really wide torque range so if you wanted to you can just select a gear and attack your favourite twisties just using the throttle, its pretty hard to bug this thing down.
    It tours really well, the factory panniers are a breeze to get on/off, there are a load of aftermarket luggage options as well obviously. I find it quite comfortable to ride, Ive done 800km days no problem. Riding conservatively you should get 300km+ out of the 19 litre tank but that reduces a fair bit if your giving it some stick.

The electronics package is basic, ABS works as expected, Ive never activated the traction control or if I have, I havent noticed (good thing I suppose) and the riding modes are a bit useless IMO. One mode has 100% power and the other is 70%, I just use the throttle to decide how much power I want. I dont care much for fandangled electronic gizmos so this bike suits me just fine in that regard.

Little annoyances/negatives are the headlights, stock their not very bright. I just ordered some leds so that should sort that out.
    It is a little vibey/buzzy. Personally it doesn't bother me but I can understand why it turns some people off. The main buzz is between 6000rpm - 6500rpm and is transferred mainly through the seat to your balls, ladies might enjoy it a bit more than blokes :). At those rpm in 6th you'd be sitting pretty close to lose your licence territory, @110km/h your at around 4500rpm. Another common mod to reduce that buzzy zone is to go to a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket from a 15 tooth. I haven't done that mod as I quite like the gearing as is but apparently theres no reduction in acceleration and it cruises at high speed better and makes for a smoother bike. You just lose a bit of the snap your get when you twist the throttle, that's my favorite part!
    Thats about it really, its a fanatasic bike that does alot of things really well from long haul touring to track days.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ah, brilliant, thanks for some excellent info.

As a physics teacher I need to hang my head in shame: I quoted a torque figure in ft-lb rather than the SI unit!
  8. Thinking about whether the improvements in 2014 and after models are worth the extra couple of grand. There are 2011-12 ones for under 10 grand. I'm tempted to keep the dough in my pocket, but I'll think it through.

I guess the other discussion is alternatives. The Bandit 1250S does compete, but would be too similar to my current bike. Spending this kinda money, I also want a change!

The Suzuki 1000 is nice, but new this year so a bit pricier.

What else?
  9. There are a few MV Agusta Brutale 800s for under 10 grand that are recent and low km... tempting!
  10. VFR800 and Triumph Sprint ST 1050, both great bikes.

As to Ninja pre/post 2014, it depends on what you think is more important for you. For me the fact it has a very neat pannier system and remote preload adjuster were the swinging factors.
  11. The earlier Brutales had sprag clutch issues, so check to see if that has been sorted.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look of the VFR1200, and most of those are beyond my price range, but the later 800s are very nice indeed, and something I should be checking out and checking for.

Hadn't thought much about the Sprint, but should: apart from anything else, the triple offers some of that 'change from an i4' I'm hoping for.
  13. When I was buying it was going to be one of those 3. The Sprint is a great bike, my mate has one and we swapped for a week. Its a bit sportier in ergos and the fairings blow hot air on your legs but apart from that its a cracker. Definitely worth looking into.
  14. On changing to a 55 profile rear tyre:

(a) is that just raising the rear relative to the front to make the handling sharper, and if so could the same effect be achieved by dropping the front in the triple clamps a bit and

(d) does it mess up the speedo?
  15. A 55 profile tyre just makes the bike tip in easier, I suppose a combination of taller profile and increased rear height will do this. Not sure if the same can be achieved by dropping the forks, honestly havent read about anyone doing that mod. The speedo reads bang on compared to my TomTom Gps as opposed to 3-4km under with a 50 profile.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Yip. Technical note issued June last year to all dealers to retrofit an upgraded sprag kit.

They are even doing this out of warrenty period
  17. It also depends on the profile of the tyre . If you compare same ratio (55) Rosso 2 to Rosso 3, the 3 has slightly different shape helping to turn in faster. Same applies between different tyre brands.
    • Like Like x 1

18. Hi Bravus,
    I just upgraded to the Ninja 1000 myself (from a cb500f) last week and took it for a spin through RNP.
    Cracking bike, handling is superb... she is so responsive, tips easily and holds a line very well.
    Power delivery is smooth and the torque seems to be available no matter what gear or RPM you're in.

Didn't notice much of a difference in the power modes, but i guess Low mode may be good for wet days. ABS is responsive but not intrusive.

As Icemaker said, the ninja 1000 is a little buzzy so i'd suggest a test ride to see if that's an issue for you.
    You'll soon forget about that as you're having so much fun!
    Other negatives, the stock seat really sucks; it's narrow and super uncomfortable from the start IMO. also as mentioned headlights are a bit poor stock so plan to make a few changes.
    I also find the rear shock a little hard but then I'm a lightweight anyway. Remote preload is super convenient though on later models.

A lot of owners have suggested the change to 55 tyre at rear will make the bike a lot more responsive; will consider this when i need new rubber. As GeorgeO mentioned the tyre profile will also make quite a difference.

Sweet bike all round for sure.

I also looked at both VRF800 and Sprint ST with the sprint no longer in production I was reluctant to commit (parts availability etc..), from what i've heard though it is a great bike too. Didn't like the ergos of the VFR personally and bike didn't feel as balanced as ninja. All my opinion of course.
  19. #19 Bravus, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks man, that's really helpful.

I assume the buzz is something more than just a normal i4 thing, because it seems to get mentioned in all reviews. I'll certainly ride it to see how I feel, but apparently it's most noticeable at about 6000-6500 rpm and (legal!) highway cruising is more like 4500-5000, so it may not be a major issue.

I'm a bit beefier (had been down to the high 70s, as has actually been chronicled in these pages, am now low 90s and working to get back there), and the option of rear preload is a good one.

Flirted with things like the MV Agusta Brutale 800 as well: bestial and lovely, but really, I keep coming back around to the Ninja for value for money for the things I actually do.

Who knows, maybe I'll test ride one and hate it!
  20. #20 drjay555, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
    used to own a Ninja 1000 abs. Great bike. Fantastic value for the money. Preferred the look of the 2011 to the newer one. Smooth, and deceptively fast. The seat does need modification. Round out the sharp edges and add softer foam on top to make it better for longer rides. If I had to go back to a jap bike that would be it. Very rideable in any gear. You can cruise around town in top gear easy. Twist the throttle and watch the stupid grin on your face. :))
    190/55 definitely. Made a significant difference.
    230kg with a full tank but feels less when moving. Ventura rack n bag + tank bag and long trips are on.
    Enjoy the ride

edit:fixed quotes - mod
    • Like Like x 1