Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

possibly stupid question about tyres.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by BalmyBrowny, Jul 29, 2007.

1. i did a search about tyre repair and found that some people prefer to repair and some prefer to replace. now my question is :- can i get it fixed at any ole tyre place? or does it need to be a bike tyre place? i have umpteen car tyre places around near me. but no real bike shops/tyre places.

sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find it.

2. I know I like to have bike shops deal with my tyre replacement and repairs,

Car places may be able to do it perfectly well, but I just feel safer knowing that someone with experience of bikes is looking after something as important as my tyres
  3. Well I think it depends if it’s a pin prick from a nail or something any old shop should be able to fix it. If it’s more than that you probably should think about looking at getting it replaced. What exactly is wrong with it??
  4. its a nail. my only reservations is that its on the tread itself. not in the grooves. just wondering about grip and wear. ( not actually knowing how a tyre gets fixed of course)
  5. A nail hole in the tread of a tyre should be repairable.

However, I would qualify that with the following:-

1) If you habitually ride at very high speeds, I wouldn't trust a repair. However, as I'm talking about in excess of 200+ kmh and your bike is listed as a ZZR250, that doesn't relly apply.

2) For a long term repair, I'd want a plug applied from the inside, which means taking the tyre off the rim, and I wouldn't trust a car place to do this unless I knew the fitter doing the work had bike experience. After all, I just had a bad experience with a bike place where it became obvious that they didn't care/hadn't a clue, so what chance with a car joint?

Bottom line, if the tyre's got plenty of tread, take it to a good bike tyre place and accept they're advice on yes or no.

Done right, by someone who knows bike tyres, a repair is perfectly OK.
  6. :LOL: Yeah, coz that monkey getting $7 an hour really cares about your bike! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  7. thanks for that PatB. I'll get onto them in the morning and just stop at every servo on the way there :p
    tyre has plenty of tread. its less than 2000kms old! and i know for certain that the bike doesn't reach that speed :wink: