Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Possibly fake odometer, how to tell?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Nightshine, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Just wondering if theres a way to tell if the odometer has been tampered with on a bike.
    I'm looking at a GPX 01 model, with only 16,000ks on it, he said he'd give it to me for a pretty fair price.
    Everything on it looks good, very good condition fairings, new exhaust but he did say that he has replaced the tires and brakes.
    So just makes me wonder, why would he replace the brakes and tyres after such little Ks?
    The bike as a whole looks really good, the only thing which I'm unsure of now is the Odometer reading, if it could of rolled over and done like 116000Ks or something?
    Anyway to tell, any big give aways to show that its had more use then what they let on?

2. I wouldn't want a 10 year old bike with the same OEM tyres it came out with from factory, they would be seriously hard and have no grip; secondly I wouldn't expect 16k of longevity out of them either.

I don't consider having the brakes changed at 16k as deal breaker not get a bike. There a lot of things that affect break wear, like compound used, age and end user braking habits.

The general condition of the bike should tell you that, if your still unsure take someone with you who has had more exposure to bikes to evaluate it for you or have a mechanic go over it.

3. brakes (sp) ,assuming pads, and tyres at 16,000. = he rides like a grandma. not an issue.

odo reading. = the overall wear and marks from use generally. huge diference between 16,000k bike and 116,000k bike. like marks around keyhole, condition of rims, wear on the rubber on pegs etc, scuff marks, seat. just look over the bike and pay attention to all the little details

• Like Like x 1